Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

10-12psi Stock Internals: Here's How I Think I'll Do It

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 01:00 PM
atlsupdawg#2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 350zDCalb
Welcome (i had to say ot, everybody else was )
any reason you are planning on going with a single turbo vs the twins?

good luck (I'm also in the camp of, if you are gonna pull the motor apart, through some forged internals in there)

TODD
Thanks for the welcome Todd.. To be honest bro, it's more of a "budget thing" that I've set for myself.. Plus I promised the ole' lady I wouldn't go overboard with this car. Hence the decision to go with the Turbonetics. Hell, fabricating a system isn't necessarily out of the question as well. I'm really not cheap.. HONESTLY ...I just try to enjoy the hobby..
Old 07-14-2005, 03:23 PM
etx

Originally Posted by atlsupdawg#2
I think this is the biggest problem associated with failed internals, aside from detonation. These internals were designed to operate within a certain temp range on a NA motor. Once exceeded this will cause significant weakening and possible over expansion (higher stress due to tighter tolerances) of the component.
Dead on, that was the fate of my stock motor.
Old 07-14-2005, 05:31 PM
Badfish25

Originally Posted by barthelb
Just get an APS kit, Ive hit 11psi quite a few times. No pinging, detonation or extreme cylinder heat noticed. I keep my octane around 95. Im tuned for Cali 91 @ 8.5 psi. Since we've gotten some mixed weather lately, when it gets cool i make a lot of power. Good luck, I seem to think some early engines are different. Some seem to make power and others just can't seem to handle it. Hopefully the 05's stronger rods and pistons help people out by allowing more strength to run the boost safer and more reliably.

The 05's have stronger rods? Is this all 05's or just the 300 hp 05's?
Old 07-15-2005, 07:18 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Badfish25
The 05's have stronger rods? Is this all 05's or just the 300 hp 05's?

Just the 05 300hp motors. Although the part number for the rods and pistons are different, we dont actually known how much stronger, or even if they are stronger than last year's. They could have done things like shave weight, modify profiles, etc. It's impossible to know.
Old 07-15-2005, 07:48 AM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Just the 05 300hp motors. Although the part number for the rods and pistons are different, we dont actually known how much stronger, or even if they are stronger than last year's. They could have done things like shave weight, modify profiles, etc. It's impossible to know.
Weigh them and then pressure break them. Then we'd know which are stronger, if either are. (the rods, not pistons)
Old 07-16-2005, 08:11 AM
atlsupdawg#2

Originally Posted by nis350ztt
Weigh them and then pressure break them. Then we'd know which are stronger, if either are. (the rods, not pistons)
Man nis, that stock rod and piston in your sig look "scary" thin bro..
Old 07-16-2005, 10:58 AM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Sure are.
Old 07-17-2005, 09:52 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

That's partly because you're looking at it next to an extremely overkill Pauter rod.

I'd also pick up some ARP rod bolts when you do the cyro treating. IMO the rod bolts are the weakest item on the bottom end and have led to the rods being blamed for many failures.

Last edited by BriGuyMax; 07-17-2005 at 09:59 AM.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:40 PM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
That's partly because you're looking at it next to an extremely overkill Pauter rod.

I'd also pick up some ARP rod bolts when you do the cyro treating. IMO the rod bolts are the weakest item on the bottom end and have led to the rods being blamed for many failures.

IMO (and pretty much everybody elses' as well who has actually built their motor)...there is NO SUCH THING AS OVERKILL when you are building a motor and running forced induction!

and, as far as the rod bolts being blamed...haven't you seen, picture after picture of these rods being bent and twisted? they cannot hold the extreme rapid increase in torque produced by high boost TURBO kits (superchargers are so linear-this isn't an issue)..to say it is the rod bolts is like saying "the reason the guy broke his leg when he jumped off the skyscraper is because he wasn't wearing jeans"...come on now

for example: with my current setup (granted I'm probably running more boost than one would plan on a stock motor)...my torque numbers from 4200 rpm (approx 320ft lbs) to 5500rpm jumps (537 ft lbs) ---that's over 200 ft pounds of torque increase in 1300rpm range!!!

just my oh so humble opinion
Old 07-17-2005, 02:12 PM
atlsupdawg#2

and, as far as the rod bolts being blamed...haven't you seen, picture after picture of these rods being bent and twisted? they cannot hold the extreme rapid increase in torque produced by high boost TURBO kits (superchargers are so linear-this isn't an issue)..to say it is the rod bolts is like saying "the reason the guy broke his leg when he jumped off the skyscraper is because he wasn't wearing jeans"...come on now

for example: with my current setup (granted I'm probably running more boost than one would plan on a stock motor)...my torque numbers from 4200 rpm (approx 320ft lbs) to 5500rpm jumps (537 ft lbs) ---that's over 200 ft pounds of torque increase in 1300rpm range!!!

BriGuyMax, I definetly have to agree here. A lot of the pictures I've seen are of either busted up pistons (ring lands) and/or mangled rods. The rods obviously sustain a brunt of all the forces. They contend with the forces exerted, ultimately, by the tires and drivetrain and also the upward motion going from BDC to TDC. Everything is transmitted through the rods....I also see your point as well...When you combine the increase in power and inertial forces on the rod and piston, you definetly want stronger rod bolts to keep everything together. I've seen one motor, a 2JZ-GTE, that was totally destroyed because of rod bolt failure. Albeit, this certain individual bumped the rev limit up to damn near 8000 .
Old 07-17-2005, 05:31 PM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

you definetly want stronger rod bolts to keep everything together. .
fortunately when you get beefier rods...the rod bolts will typically (in the case of pauter-always) be very high strength quality hardware...

don't know why but this reminds me of the joke...i survived blank and all i got was this crappy t-shirt

"I blew my motor, did forged internals, and all i got were these arp rod bolts"....ok, i'll stop now
Old 07-17-2005, 06:09 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

^^^Agree as well^^^

I have yet to see a rod bolt failure. Plenty of cracked piston ring lands, and twisted/sheared rods...typically near the wrist pin area.

With F/I and moderate reving applications, such as the VQ motor at 7000rpm or so, strength takes priority over weight. Unless I was building a very high revving VQ "which would be counter-productive, since the VQ's bore and stroke doesnt lend itself to very high RPM operation), I would choose the beefy Pauter rod.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:43 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

IMO (and pretty much everybody elses' as well who has actually built their motor)...there is NO SUCH THING AS OVERKILL when you are building a motor and running forced induction!

So please explain why the majority of motors that blow up do so WELL UNDER 400whp...

By your theory all the APS TT'd cars with over 400whp on the stock motor should be blown up by now. Same for all the Greddy kitted cars with well over 400whp. But that's not the case. A vast majority of the cars that have OVER 400whp stay together without a problem.

The reason you're seeing rod failure is due to many more factors that simply the strength of the rod.

I'm not saying that the stock rods are anything special, just that most of the pictures you see of broken rods aren't due to stress from power output, but detonation and heat.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:48 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

BriGuyMax, I definetly have to agree here. A lot of the pictures I've seen are of either busted up pistons (ring lands) and/or mangled rods. The rods obviously sustain a brunt of all the forces. They contend with the forces exerted, ultimately, by the tires and drivetrain and also the upward motion going from BDC to TDC. Everything is transmitted through the rods....I also see your point as well...When you combine the increase in power and inertial forces on the rod and piston, you definetly want stronger rod bolts to keep everything together. I've seen one motor, a 2JZ-GTE, that was totally destroyed because of rod bolt failure. Albeit, this certain individual bumped the rev limit up to damn near 8000 .
I totally understand that the rod takes the brunt of the power abuse...and the rod bolts are more sensitive to revs than power output, but from what I've seen the rod strength isn't the issue in the mid 400whp power range. People like to blame it on the rods...it's become the "cool" thing to do around here. But I think they are falsly being blamed for a tuning issue with the stock ECU. It's the extremely sesitive tuning that's involved in the situation.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:52 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

I totally understand that the rod takes the brunt of the power abuse...and the rod bolts are more sensitive to revs than power output, but from what I've seen the rod strength isn't the issue in the mid 400whp power range. People like to blame it on the rods...it's become the "cool" thing to do around here. But I think they are falsly being blamed for a tuning issue with the stock ECU. It's the extremely sesitive tuning that's involved in the situation.
I agree.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:39 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Stronger forged internals give you a higher margin for error. When tuning these cars, they tend to run near the brink. Of course, with the coveted "perfect tune", I bet stock rods could reach 550whp or more. But the fact is that a perfect tune is extremely hard to maintain for any period of time.

Even stock rods can take a tremendous amount of uniformly building cylinder pressure. But at these levels, the slightest detonation can damage bearings, pistons, and rods...so the failure rate increases. Our factory rods are some of the wimpiest I have seen. They are not designed for forced induction. They are designed to be light weight, and allow the motor to rev freely for N/A operation. Adding F/I increases the changes of failure. Our cast pistons are also pretty junky, so we see a lot of shattered pistons and cracked ring lands. I truely believe the pistons are weaker than the rods, but while you are changing one, you might as well change the other.

Bri, I dont think doing forged internals is the trendy thing to do. I think it is prudent for those looking for 500whp and beyond. I have never suggested that people upgrade their pistons/rods at the 400whp mark. Instead, they should focus on maintaining as perfect a tune as possible. Our original motor had 14,000 very hard miles at 8-9psi, without even a trace of damage to the bearings or pistons.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:41 PM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

So please explain why the majority of motors that blow up do so WELL UNDER 400whp...

-tuning,
-possible ECU switching timing maps,
-use of a piggyback system with an ecu that demonstrates adaptive learning at all parts of the map (or something that causes it to change-gurgen can explain this much better than me)

true, many factors will cause these motors to fail, but this was not your point...you were claiming that the rod bolts were responsible..this is not the case...many factors are responsible...primarily the tune (this does not mean putting the car on the dyno and plugging in numbers, because i have seen that change in a matter of days)...i believe this is the MAIN reason so many e-manage tuned cars have blown...the tune can be perfect on the dyno..needs to be watched closely and fine tuned for a few days/weeks to ensure it is consistant and one is driving around with the same tune they think they are--this further shows the importance of a wideband A/F and an EGT guage onboard to continuously monitor the tune

you ask why the APS setups have lasted above 400whp...it's not the number 400 that is so magical, it is the fact that these setups are not tuner friendly..they come with a preprogrammed safe map and addresses fuel AND TIMING <---(KEY)... when people can't mess with the tune and the tune is rich and safe and DOESN'T change (or at least addresses timing-many greddy kits blew while not pulling any/enough timing) the longevity is much greater..

these motors will break rods as well, because these rods are not strong enough, it's just a matter of time...the pauter rods and forged (super duty) arias pistons give much more forgiveness when it comes to a lean mixture...they survive small amounts of detonation because of their pure muscle, unlike the stock setup that will snap like a toothpick (i know i'm exaggerating, couldn't resist)

I'm going to bed, hope that served as a descent rebuttal BRIGuy
Old 07-17-2005, 11:59 PM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper

^^^ Agree

The tuning really is key here; at least 90% of it. But it is NOT the only factor. My stock engine failure was due to a rod bolt failure (most likely), and I am thinking that it was due to my increased red line, and my making use of it quite extensively (before the TT went in). I ran above 6.5 psi only about 4-5 times, and even then with a very very safe tune, retarded timing, and a J&S safeguard watching my back. But when it went, it went. The blown engine had no sign of detonation in it, it was otherwise in a very good condition. The bottom half of the big end of the #3 rod was 'peeled' away from one rod bolt to the other, straightening that round bottom half of the big end of the rod into a near-straight, banana-like shape. The other alternative is that this engine was just weaker to begin with, especially weaker main studs, which stretched and allowed the rod bearing to spin and be an equal culprit to ripping hte rod bolt apart. Whatever it was, it DID positivley result in, or WAS to begein with, a rod BOLT failure.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:07 AM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Originally Posted by GurgenPB
^^^ Agree

The tuning really is key here; at least 90% of it. But it is NOT the only factor. My stock engine failure was due to a rod bolt failure (most likely), and I am thinking that it was due to my increased red line, and my making use of it quite extensively (before the TT went in). I ran above 6.5 psi only about 4-5 times, and even then with a very very safe tune, retarded timing, and a J&S safeguard watching my back. But when it went, it went. The blown engine had no sign of detonation in it, it was otherwise in a very good condition. The bottom half of the big end of the #3 rod was 'peeled' away from one rod bolt to the other, straightening that round bottom half of the big end of the rod into a near-straight, banana-like shape. The other alternative is that this engine was just weaker to begin with, especially weaker main studs, which stretched and allowed the rod bearing to spin and be an equal culprit to ripping hte rod bolt apart. Whatever it was, it DID positivley result in, or WAS to begein with, a rod BOLT failure.
woh....that's the first description i've heard of a motor blowing being tied to the rod bolts
this can definately happen in theory (and you proved it)...i assume the MAJORITY of the time, the rod bolts are not to blame--in my case, the rod bolts were still intact..the rod twisted horribly and the piston was in a million pieces.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:45 AM
atlsupdawg#2

Originally Posted by GurgenPB
^^^ Agree
My stock engine failure was due to a rod bolt failure (most likely), and I am thinking that it was due to my increased red line, and my making use of it quite extensively (before the TT went in)..
I've seen one motor, a 2JZ-GTE, that was totally destroyed because of rod bolt failure. Albeit, this certain individual bumped the rev limit up to damn near 8000 .
WOW, make that one I've seen and one I've read about..
What you describe about your rod failure was EXACTLY what I saw when we took the motor apart. You'd have thought the piston got seized in the bore and the crank just ripped the bottom end of the rod off.

Quick Reply: 10-12psi Stock Internals: Here's How I Think I'll Do It