Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

10-12psi Stock Internals: Here's How I Think I'll Do It

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 08:35 AM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 350zDCalb
woh....that's the first description i've heard of a motor blowing being tied to the rod bolts
this can definately happen in theory (and you proved it)...i assume the MAJORITY of the time, the rod bolts are not to blame--in my case, the rod bolts were still intact..the rod twisted horribly and the piston was in a million pieces.
Yes in your case, the piston may have been where it all started, that's the only way it can disintegrate like that. In my case, that #3 piston had a crack in it, most likely from it being let up through the bore and slamming into an open valve on top, all from no longer being tied to a crank.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:37 AM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper

Originally Posted by atlsupdawg#2
WOW, make that one I've seen and one I've read about..
What you describe about your rod failure was EXACTLY what I saw when we took the motor apart. You'd have thought the piston got seized in the bore and the crank just ripped the bottom end of the rod off.
I see.... I am very very much beginning to believe that the weakened rod bolt was due to the raised red line.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:37 AM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GurgenPB
Yes in your case, the piston may have been where it all started, that's the only way it can disintegrate like that. In my case, that #3 piston had a crack in it, most likely from it being let up through the bore and slamming into an open valve on top, all from no longer being tied to a crank.
i still adhere to the theory of 350z gremlins....those nasty little buggers..they chew through the rods when your motor cools down at night

i'm sure some of them have the tast for the rod bolts as well...(their offspring feed off of the pistons, so who knows)
Old 07-18-2005, 12:49 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

IMO (and pretty much everybody elses' as well who has actually built their motor)...there is NO SUCH THING AS OVERKILL when you are building a motor and running forced induction!
I didn't say that it wasn't a good thing that they were overkill...just that it makes the stock rods look worse BECAUSE the pauters are overkill.

and, as far as the rod bolts being blamed...haven't you seen, picture after picture of these rods being bent and twisted? they cannot hold the extreme rapid increase in torque produced by high boost TURBO kits (superchargers are so linear-this isn't an issue)..to say it is the rod bolts is like saying "the reason the guy broke his leg when he jumped off the skyscraper is because he wasn't wearing jeans"...come on now

for example: with my current setup (granted I'm probably running more boost than one would plan on a stock motor)...my torque numbers from 4200 rpm (approx 320ft lbs) to 5500rpm jumps (537 ft lbs) ---that's over 200 ft pounds of torque increase in 1300rpm range!!!

just my oh so humble opinion
read my post again. I did NOT say that the most commonly broken item in VQs was the rod bolt...just that they are the weakest part overall. Weak in a different way than the rods are obviously. A broken rod bolt will typically make the rod fail so sometimes it's really hard to determine a causal part when you have a blown motor on your hands. I was saying that because he plans on cyro treating the stock bottom end and a relatively cheap rod bolt upgrade would be a good idea with a cyro treated stock bottom end.

As for the extreme rapid increase in torque breaking the rods...that's all speculation. And pretty poor speculation at that as a vast majority of blown VQs do so at LOWER POWER LEVELS.

Futhermore in regards to a sudden torque increase...back when the 350Z was a baby. Bluefish and performance motorsport ran a 250ish shot on a STOCK MOTOR 350z for a while until they blew the motor due to a nitrous kit malfunction. The stock motor held up just fine after countless activation of the nitrous which added more torque in an even shorter amount of time than your current built motor setup does.

Nice theory..but it doesn't really work in the current situation with the information we have available.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:57 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

-tuning,
-possible ECU switching timing maps,
-use of a piggyback system with an ecu that demonstrates adaptive learning at all parts of the map (or something that causes it to change-gurgen can explain this much better than me)
Yes

true, many factors will cause these motors to fail, but this was not your point...you were claiming that the rod bolts were responsible..this is not the case...many factors are responsible...primarily the tune (this does not mean putting the car on the dyno and plugging in numbers, because i have seen that change in a matter of days)...i believe this is the MAIN reason so many e-manage tuned cars have blown...the tune can be perfect on the dyno..needs to be watched closely and fine tuned for a few days/weeks to ensure it is consistant and one is driving around with the same tune they think they are--this further shows the importance of a wideband A/F and an EGT guage onboard to continuously monitor the tune
I was NOT claiming the the rod bolts were responsible for every blown motor out there. I wasn't even claiming that any part at all was "responsible" for all motor failures. I did say that the rod bolts are the "weakest" link because I seem them failing on N/A VQs...and they are the cause of more failures than people realize. Overall though with regards to FI I was simply saying that you CAN'T BLAME THE RODS when all these other factors are involved.

you ask why the APS setups have lasted above 400whp...it's not the number 400 that is so magical, it is the fact that these setups are not tuner friendly..they come with a preprogrammed safe map and addresses fuel AND TIMING <---(KEY)... when people can't mess with the tune and the tune is rich and safe and DOESN'T change (or at least addresses timing-many greddy kits blew while not pulling any/enough timing) the longevity is much greater..
I was using 400whp as an example...not a magic number.

So after a paragraph like this why do you continue to bash the motor itself as unsafe for any type of FI in stock form????

these motors will break rods as well, because these rods are not strong enough, it's just a matter of time...the pauter rods and forged (super duty) arias pistons give much more forgiveness when it comes to a lean mixture...they survive small amounts of detonation because of their pure muscle, unlike the stock setup that will snap like a toothpick (i know i'm exaggerating, couldn't resist)

I'm going to bed, hope that served as a descent rebuttal BRIGuy
HUGE HUGE HUGE speculation. You have no idea what will actually happen with more time.

Last edited by BriGuyMax; 07-18-2005 at 01:00 PM.
Old 07-18-2005, 05:16 PM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Briguy...

you are totally right...about everything...

just giving my opinion...speculation as it may be, i think its pretty accurate
Old 07-18-2005, 05:18 PM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
So after a paragraph like this why do you continue to bash the motor itself as unsafe for any type of FI in stock form????

because i'm mean

...and i even hate dolphins

j/k, i don't hate dolphins...dude, calm down, you get so defensive and attack every opinion that is not your own... deep breathing helps
Old 07-18-2005, 06:45 PM
atlsupdawg#2

On a technical note here, I've got full access to AllDataPro (anyone without manuals need a remove/install rundown let me know and I'll try and "link" it to ya).... Nothing really on an '05 engine removal/installation and wanted to know if it is anywhere remotely close to an '04 removal/installaton?? Check the link..Thanks fellaz..
http://www.alldatapro.com/alldata/PR...53743/34849396
Old 07-18-2005, 07:20 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Briguy...

you are totally right...about everything...

just giving my opinion...speculation as it may be, i think its pretty accurate
oh please

You can't handle the truth

Last edited by BriGuyMax; 07-18-2005 at 07:23 PM.