Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

TurboXS Announces the Z UTEC Release

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 08:46 AM
BlackTuner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TurboXS Announces the Z UTEC Release

TurboXS Announces the Z UTEC Release

TurboXS has spent the last couple of months developing an EMS solution for the 350Z Market. Fresh to the Z market we release the Z UTEC. This unit will be available for the 350Z and G35.

The Z UTEC is a Plug and Play Parallel Engine Management System. Designed to work together with you factory ECU. The UTEC gives you the ability to let the factory ECU drive the car under normal cruise conditions then take over when you are ready for the power in a flawless manor. This gives you like stock drive-ability with the advantages of a powerful stand-alone system. The UTEC allows you to maintain OBDII compliancy as well. The UTEC is unnoticeable to the OBD Scan process most states are adopting these days. In basic form we allow control over Fuel and Ignition Timing. Each control gives you 250 rpm resolution from 500 rpm to revlimit with over 10 different load sites. The UTEC will ship with pre-programmed base maps to help get you up and driving right away. In addition to having a pre-programmed base maps the UTEC has provisions for 5 different map locations. The multi-map capability allows you to use our remote map selector to switch between the 5 maps or stock mode on the fly. Your tuning options are endless when you can have a race map and daily driving map at the tip of your fingers. The power is all yours!

The easiest way to visualize it would be to break down it’s components into separate systems.

Fuel Control- The UTEC takes control of your vehicles fuelling at a define-able TPS point that is programmable. Fuel is tuned by an MAF offset table, a simple but effective technique. The load reference we use is RPM vs. MAF Voltage. The UTEC can also take in our optional MAP sensor to tune RPM vs. MAP or you can just use the MAP reading in your datalogs. This allows the fuel map to be adjusted at each of the 250 rpm resolution with over 10 different load sites from zero to rev limit.

Ignition Timing- The UTEC gives you complete control of timing. This is not done on the basis of offsets or altering the crank signal as some engine management systems use. The load reference we use is RPM vs. MAF or MAP which is optional. This allows the fuel map to be adjusted at each of the 250 rpm resolution with over 10 different load sites from zero to rev limit. When you enter a value into the Ignition Map you are actually typing in Degrees Before Top Dead Center. The UTEC fires the coils based on these values. No more wondering if the stock ecu is going to advance or retard timing.

Knock Control- This feature allows you to help keep your motor in one piece. The UTEC contains default knock thresholds but can be adjusted at 1000 rpm increments up to 9000 rpm. It also contains a Knock Count threshold that allows you to define how many counts of knock before the UTEC will respond with a Knock Retard Step. The Knock Retard Step is the amount of ignition timing that will be pulled per knock count to a defined Knock Maximum Retard. Knock Maximum Retard relates to the maximum degrees of timing the UTEC will retard per knock event. When a knock count is registered the UTEC will hold the retard for a set number of crank cycles this is called Knock Retard Duration. The UTEC also has the ability to apply a global Knock Correction to the entire map once a knock event is evident. This will help ensure that you keep your high compression monster together. All of these features are the UTEC’s safety net. They should be used pro-active not as a reactive measure.

Datalogging- The UTEC Datalogging function helps you to keep an eye on your engines vitals. Using the logger gives you all the information you want to know about your vehicle. You can take multiple logs of your vehicle whether it’s simple driveability or all out racing. You can be sure the UTEC is keeping an eye out when you can’t. The main logger (Number1) contains rpm, map, maf voltage, tps, load site, afr, ignition timing, injector duty cycle, modified fuel (fuel control) and more. Logs can be output into text files or csv files for easy comparison. When the UTEC is used with a TXS Tuner model it can also supply you with w/b afr readings in your logs as well. Giving you the ultimate tuning package.

Remote Map Selector- The remote selector gives you the capability to switch between your UTEC maps. It also allows you to revert back to full stock ecu control on map 0 (when stock sized injectors are used). Maps 1 through 5 are your UTEC tunable map locations. Map 7 is your security mode, the car will not start. The car cannot be bump started or jumped when security mode is enabled

Software Upgrade- The UTEC will have periodic software updates to further innovate it’s tunability and flexibility. The most current version of software will be available on our website www.turboxs.com.

The Z UTEC will be ideal for both Forced Induction and Naturally Aspirated Mods. The UTEC has the ability to control things like Nitrous, Water Injection and More!

We will be shipping units out to selected testers in the next couple of days. We have been running them on our in house vehicles with great results. On a Z with test pipes and intake we are seeing 10-13whp gains and 9-12 ft. lbs. gains in the midrange.

Last edited by BlackTuner; 08-19-2005 at 08:53 AM.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:55 AM
002-M-P

Thats pretty big news. I got some friends with UTEC on their WRX's and they love it. I haven't had a chance to get in and look closely at it or anything, but now I have more incentive.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:21 AM
Jaki

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This sounds great! So the Z UTEC will basically disable the stock knock sensor and all the timing will be controlled through the Z UTEC, right? That would be great!

How much will the UTEC cost? Can't wait to get some feedback from the testers to see how its working out.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:31 AM
BlackTuner

Originally Posted by Jaki
This sounds great! So the Z UTEC will basically disable the stock knock sensor and all the timing will be controlled through the Z UTEC, right? That would be great!

How much will the UTEC cost? Can't wait to get some feedback from the testers to see how its working out.
The utec does not disable the factory sensor. I mean after all for cruise conditions the factory ecu still needs it. The UTEC in plug and play format including a basemap will probably retail for about $1049.

Thanks,

Jermaine~
Old 08-19-2005, 09:37 AM
zero2prove

When will this be available? Let me know if you need a tester

-Tuan
Old 08-19-2005, 10:04 AM
mojo powered

you have no idea how happy I am to hear these news..

Way to go TurboXS, I'm very excited to hear and see more. I'm also available in case you need any testing help. My car is bone stock with just a jwt intake.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:12 AM
Billyz 212

wow finally this is sick news. My buddy has this for his wrx and all he did was basically plug in pick a map and drive he loved it.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:32 AM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow... now this looks promising. No Z related product has attracted my attention this well since the FCON harness came out.

could this be the 350Z revolution?
Old 08-19-2005, 10:41 AM
2JZfan

Jermaine,

Can you elaborate on the fuel control strategy? Piggybacks mostly seem to be broken up into two groups - a) one that "fakes" a load signal to trick the factory ECU to output a different injector pulsewidth and b) one that actually intercepts and modifies the control signals on their way to the individual injectors (like the new E-Manage Ultimate). Which group does the UTEC fall into?

Also, it sounds like from your description that spark is controlled directly by the UTEC. Is that correct? Does it actually have 6 individual ignition drivers? If so, any comments on the liklihood of coils being fried in the key-on, no-run condition like we see with the E-Manage?

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 08-19-2005, 10:42 AM
sentry65
the burninator

so how'd this compare with the Emanage Ultimate?
Old 08-19-2005, 10:47 AM
Zexy

What about NA cars? I'm sure this would go pretty good with the NA Zs correct? What's up with this neglection of NA cars and engine management components being placed on the FI forum?
Old 08-19-2005, 10:55 AM
2JZfan

Originally Posted by Zexy
What's up with this neglection of NA cars and engine management components being placed on the FI forum?
probably because most people aren't that excited about spending $1000 to pick up 1hp (I'm being somewhat sarcastic). Forced induction cars, on the other hand, can literarlly have 100s of hp hanging in the balance between a "good" and "bad" tune... not to mention that it's about 100x more likely to actually scatter your motor all over the road when you have boost vs. being NA, so independent of the performance factor, boosters *need* a solid tuning solution for reliability.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:04 AM
Zexy

Alot of people always say expensive this, too much that. I know you're being sarcastic about 1 hp because it is not true.

I can really care less. I'll be cheap with a set of test pipes or a shift ****, but not with engine management/tuning.

I'd rather spend $1k on a unit like this on this that $600 on a "chipped" ecu having to be sent back and fourth, or a emanage(not meaning to say it's a bad unit because it is great). So come on now. It all makes perfect sense to me. I will also be planning on building the heads w/ aftermarket components/higher compression.

So Jermaine, i'm sure this unit would be beneficial to us NA guys?

Last edited by Zexy; 08-19-2005 at 11:07 AM.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:23 AM
mojo powered

I wonder if we can also remove/modify the rev limiter and maybe even the speed limiter like you can with the emanage

not that it would be necessary but it'd be nice to have that feature. But if it doesn' thave those features but on the other hand does not burn the coils, than I'd rather consider the utec instead.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:38 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks very promising. I believe the retail price is around $1000 or so, plus MAP sensor for the FI guys. I would assume you can use an existing MAP sensor and ouput that to the UTEC. I can't wait to test one of these units out. I am very happy that more manufactueres are getting into the ECU game with the VQ. IMHO, the more options the customers have...the better.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:43 AM
sentry65
the burninator

how many maps does the Emanage Ultimate allow?

It'd be nice to have 3 maps for NA

1 for performance on pump gas
1 for gas mileage
1 for race gas and even more performance
Old 08-19-2005, 11:59 AM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

you dont need a seperate map for gas mileage. the areas of the map that you run in during cruising are far away from the full throttle / high load sites. you can have a fully race tuned map that also gets stock or better gas mileage.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:47 PM
sentry65
the burninator

oh ok, cool
Old 08-19-2005, 12:51 PM
2JZfan

So i've been looking around at some WRX tuning forums where the UTEC is big...

looks like this thing (or at least the subie version) uses a text based interface through a terminal program? is that the deal with the Z one? I can type 80+ words/minute and have been writing assembly code for more than half of my life, so i'm not exactly "scared" of a text interface, but when I'm blasting down the road and trying to tune with my non-steering-wheel-hand I think i'd prefer a GUI of some sort...

also looks like you basically tell this thing when to kick in and the rest of the time the factory computer runs the show... i see lots about tuning strategies that have to work hand-in-hand with the factory ECU (eg. making changes to minimize learned fuel corrections and having to coerce the factory ECU into accepting different injector sizes even with the UTEC in place) -- not exactly what I'd consider full fuel control like an F-Con... is this subie specific or what?

phunk, based on your comments it sounds like you've actually used one of these things before, can you shed some light on the tuning interface? hopefully this WRX forum i found was just a misinformation site put up by Greddy to keep interest high on the E-manage and the real UTEC is nothing like this

flame away!
Old 08-19-2005, 12:55 PM
350Now

Great news. More options for the VQ

Quick Reply: TurboXS Announces the Z UTEC Release