Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

I don't even know what to say, 11.13@123mph stock internals

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 07:06 PM
mrtomcat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not going to argue around with you.
If you feel that stickies are useless at that speed than good for you don't get them...
I don't know you so I don't know if you have done 11 second runs but if you'd have I believe you'd speak a bit different because it's not that easy to keep the car straight especially on a track with bad traction and every bit that helps is appreciated...stickies help...it's as simple as that. Especially when you hit 10's

and FYI the guy asked WHAT stickies in the front are and not WHY...

can we stop the arguing around now please.

Last edited by mrtomcat; 08-20-2005 at 07:10 PM.
Old 08-20-2005, 07:16 PM
kcobean
Premier Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mrtomcat
If you feel that stickies are useless at that speed than good for you don't get them...
I don't know you so I don't know if you have done 11 second runs but if you'd have I believe you'd speak a bit different because it's not that easy to keep the car straight especially on a track with bad traction and every bit that helps is appreciated...stickies help...it's as simple as that. Especially when you hit 10's

and FYI the guy asked WHAT stickies in the front are and not WHY...

can we stop the arguing around now please.
I'm not arguing, I'm just trying to understand from someone who may have more track experience than me. I'm just failing to understand how stickies in the front will improve your traction (which on a 1/4 mile is pretty much defined as ability to move yourself down the track, right?). In a Z, does an 11 second run really get the front tires light enough that lateral (steering) traction is an issue that stickies would solve? Again, I'm not trying to argue, it's just not making sense in my mind.
Old 08-20-2005, 07:22 PM
fito

Thanks guys, I'll post slip and video tommorow.
There is no modification on the fuel system, just the fuel pump.

Here is the info on both of the 11.1 passes for you to study while I get to scan the slips.

first pass:
60 ft.------ 1.641
et @ 594ft.-6.742
1/8 et------7.201
1/8 mph----97.83
1/4 et------11.191
1/4 mph----123.04

second pass:
60ft.-------1.634
et @ 594ft.-6.702
1/8 et------7.160
1/8 mph----98.43
1/4 et------11.136
1/4mph-----123.21
Old 08-20-2005, 07:45 PM
aaronlosey

just a heads up, front slicks would have to be sufficently warmed up to provide more traction up front that street tires, as they NEED a certain amount of heat to work. on a drag car, you do a burn out in the box to heat up your rear slicks, then pull up, and take off ( and i've never even gone to the track to drag race, and i know this : P )

unless you have some method of warming up the slicks on the front of a rwd car before the run, they will provide less grip than a street tire. look at f1 cars that wreck directly at the beginning of a race or after pit stops when they don't have warm tires. they try to go out and drive at the pace they had been driving, and drive straight off the track when they come to a corner. they have tire blankets which preheat the tires before they put them on the car, or while they are on the car before the race, to combat this.

anyways, long story short, drag racers don't think too much about their steering. the giant dragsters have it all but deleted in the end.
Old 08-20-2005, 08:28 PM
mrtomcat

Originally Posted by kcobean
I'm not arguing, I'm just trying to understand from someone who may have more track experience than me. I'm just failing to understand how stickies in the front will improve your traction (which on a 1/4 mile is pretty much defined as ability to move yourself down the track, right?). In a Z, does an 11 second run really get the front tires light enough that lateral (steering) traction is an issue that stickies would solve? Again, I'm not trying to argue, it's just not making sense in my mind.
maybe traction is the wrong word but stability might be better?

First time I ran on Slicks I thought I was skating on eyes and when I got the APS and did my first run I almost lost control because the car was moving so much around and I had to countersteer like crazy. AfterI learned how to work it right I haven't had that problem anymore but I can only imagine it comes right back once you hit 10's...
I have no clue about the science on this but I know it works...
Old 08-20-2005, 08:35 PM
mrtomcat

Originally Posted by aaronlosey
just a heads up, front slicks would have to be sufficently warmed up to provide more traction up front that street tires, as they NEED a certain amount of heat to work. on a drag car, you do a burn out in the box to heat up your rear slicks, then pull up, and take off ( and i've never even gone to the track to drag race, and i know this : P )

unless you have some method of warming up the slicks on the front of a rwd car before the run, they will provide less grip than a street tire. look at f1 cars that wreck directly at the beginning of a race or after pit stops when they don't have warm tires. they try to go out and drive at the pace they had been driving, and drive straight off the track when they come to a corner. they have tire blankets which preheat the tires before they put them on the car, or while they are on the car before the race, to combat this.

anyways, long story short, drag racers don't think too much about their steering. the giant dragsters have it all but deleted in the end.
you're wrong
1) real slicks need little or no burnout they are sticky by themselves
2) front slicks are a bit different than rear slicks (on a rwd car)

here are some links to the MT Site:

ET Front

ET Drag (rear)

the "slicks" we are using are not true slicks hence the need for burnouts
ET Streets

I believe just from looking at the pictures the Performance Motorsport (8 second) Z has regular Slicks in the front as well which prooves that he does not need to burnout the front tires...I tried to paste a picture but they are using flash on their site now, so no copying...sorry

Hope this helps a bit

Last edited by mrtomcat; 08-20-2005 at 08:38 PM.
Old 08-20-2005, 08:39 PM
mrtomcat

Originally Posted by fito

Here is the info on both of the 11.1 passes for you to study while I get to scan the slips.

first pass:
60 ft.------ 1.641
et @ 594ft.-6.742
1/8 et------7.201
1/8 mph----97.83
1/4 et------11.191
1/4 mph----123.04

second pass:
60ft.-------1.634
et @ 594ft.-6.702
1/8 et------7.160
1/8 mph----98.43
1/4 et------11.136
1/4mph-----123.21
Damn 7.1 and 7.2 1/8 miles.....I have much to improve
Thanks for posting these!
Old 08-21-2005, 02:11 AM
mjedens

Default mrtomcat

I know you mean well , but MT ET Fronts are not considered "slicks"! They are "skinnies"( 4 inches in width and only aprox 20 lbs with a wheel) with tread but clearly state "Not for Street Use". I've noticed there are at least 3 or 4 of us that have gone with this set up. "Weld" is the 15" wheel I'm using for the skinnies.
Old 08-21-2005, 02:51 AM
sigsauer87

DAMN...! 1.6 60ft...! thats nuts...! I'm surpised your engine didnt blow from using that high of boost :-P You think if you upgraded your internals...you would run a tad bit faster?
Old 08-21-2005, 08:53 AM
fito

with forged internals, I bet we can get 9's easy.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:37 AM
MRballer350z

with forged internals, I bet we can get 9's easy.
with of course, extra added boost

What kind of gas was in the car is what I meant to ask?
Old 08-21-2005, 02:38 PM
mrtomcat

Originally Posted by mjedens
I know you mean well , but MT ET Fronts are not considered "slicks"! They are "skinnies"( 4 inches in width and only aprox 20 lbs with a wheel) with tread but clearly state "Not for Street Use". I've noticed there are at least 3 or 4 of us that have gone with this set up. "Weld" is the 15" wheel I'm using for the skinnies.
Obviously this is not for street use, this is track only.

let's just call them race tires for arguments sake...
You say you went that route, did it improve your handling?
If so than we are in agreement.
I go to the track at least once a week and almost all 10 second cars have 4 race tires...meaning non street tires, which was my point I was trying to make. Going that route should help FITO and everyone else improve their handling and so their times.

Does that make sense?
Old 08-21-2005, 03:51 PM
fito

Gas is VP 109
Old 08-21-2005, 04:00 PM
mrtomcat

damn you guys in PR are getting away with too much...no required roll bars after 11.5 109 Racing fuels (our highest unleaded legal one is VP 103) and a fast sea level track...not to forget the ocean and the hotties over there....I'm sooo jealous
Old 08-21-2005, 04:07 PM
fito

Well, on the roll cage, acctually track officials reminded us that we need a roll cage, it was just a reminder!
Old 08-21-2005, 04:10 PM
fito

Yeah Cali isn't easy on racers. 91 max at the pump and 103 unleaded max? That's not fun!
Old 08-21-2005, 04:45 PM
MRballer350z

That VP racing oxygenated 109 is some serious fuel!! I did back to back dyno runs with my big turbo gti to compare HP on 91 octane vs VP 109 unleaded race gas. Gains were phenominal!! I had 2 gallons of 91 octane on the first run (Empty gas light on), timing was pretty aggressive but I had to compensate at a mid-range timing setting due to possible pinging/detonation issues with 85+ degree weather. First run put out 329whp, 289wtq.

Second run, (30 minutes later) with an added 5 gal drum of 109 racing fuel with the timing advance exactly the same as the first run, I dyno'd at 372whp, and 325wtq!!!... That is essentially a 45whp, and a 35wtq gain in power.

Simply amazing.
Old 08-21-2005, 05:48 PM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

first pass:
60 ft.------ 1.641
you must be one hell of a driver...congradulations!
please share your secrets...
what rpm do u launch at? what is your experience with drag racing?
any secrets you could share with us would be great, you definately have the fastest stock internalled vq35 out there!!! (or u are making up for it tremendously with driving skill)
Old 08-21-2005, 05:58 PM
aaronlosey

i hate to keep posting about this kinda stuff, as everyone has their own views and ideas, but.....

I go to the track at least once a week and almost all 10 second cars have 4 race tires...meaning non street tires, which was my point I was trying to make. Going that route should help FITO and everyone else improve their handling and so their times.
your saying a drag setup is going to help improve handling. thats like saying ( since i drift ) i choose my rear tires so i can see as much rear traction as possible. its completely against the point of that type of motorsport. everything is a tradeoff when building a car for a very specific type of racing, and running a tiny tire up front in a questionable tread compound doesn't sound like someones idea of increasing traction. they are running tiny tires to reduce the mass of the tire/wheel assembly, so they have a better power/weight ratio. look at the highest forms of drag racing, they run tires only a few inches wide. they barely steer at all. if they keep moving in that direction, they will soon put train tracks down the 1/4 so people won't have to put a steering rack, steering wheel, or anything else in their car to cut weight. they woundn't even have rubber tires, and the wheels could be 10 inches tall or smaller. i think i'm on to something : )
Old 08-21-2005, 06:05 PM
NA&CH
General & Tech Senior Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier Member
Super Moderator

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

That is awesome. I think I am going to have to plan a little vacation to Puerto Rico to Watch your car. Very nice times in a G!!!

oo and this thread is useless without a VID

Quick Reply: I don't even know what to say, 11.13@123mph stock internals