Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

APS Single Turbo on a 5AT_Comments!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 05:33 AM
roncfpz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JoneZZZ
SungNamZ.....thanks for the tip....I am looking very carefully at the SGP valve body as an alternative to the reflash...I will be looking closely at the results.
JoneZZZ.....I'm curious to know if the SGP valve body upgrade solves the "rev limit" issue. Based upon GurgenPB's experience the upgrade certainly allows for quicker shift, but I'm not sure if it's enough.

Please keep us posted. Perhaps Sharif, GurgenPB and/or SungNamZ can chime in on this possibility.

Thanks,
Ron
Old 09-07-2005, 04:55 PM
JoneZZZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

roncfpz...that is a good question, I thought that one of the implied benefits of the SGBvb upgrade was shifting under the redline....which would eliminate at least one reason for extending redline.....I have asked for input from GurgenPB on this.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:30 PM
bullseye

Originally Posted by JoneZZZ
roncfpz...that is a good question, I thought that one of the implied benefits of the SGBvb upgrade was shifting under the redline....which would eliminate at least one reason for extending redline.....I have asked for input from GurgenPB on this.
I watched Gurgen's video, and the shifts occur at about 7,100 rpms. I believe Gurgen had his rev limit raised with a reflash, so he's OK...
Old 09-07-2005, 08:11 PM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper

My redline is set at 6900..the tach on our cars (the sedans at least) is about 350-400 rm too optimistic... so 7100rpm is around 6800 rpm actual.

That, in combination with the valve body does help it shift under hte redline, BUT it is not 100% yet... I do hit the rev limiter now and then, one of the reasons we are still in R&D. Believe it or not, what I have now is by far not the most aggressive setup
Old 09-08-2005, 01:45 PM
JoneZZZ

GurgenPB....thanks for your input!
Old 09-08-2005, 05:32 PM
Oleg

Hate to sidetrack the discussion, but this looks like a good alternative to the TT for a concervative power goal (no more the 500 whp w/upgraded motor). Let me ask, how much did it run you in terms of price/labor?
Thanks
Old 09-08-2005, 05:38 PM
nexstage350

have any pics of ur aps st?
Old 09-08-2005, 07:06 PM
JoneZZZ

Oleg....I got in on the group-buy....details below

http://www.350zmotoring.com/forums/s...9&page=1&pp=15

nexstage350....I will try to get som pix...have not mastered getting pictures linked yet(not promising when!).
Old 10-08-2005, 05:00 PM
JoneZZZ

Just got back from some "evening prowling".......damn..... I LUV this car!
Old 10-21-2006, 08:21 AM
JoneZZZ

Default ONE YEAR + Review

I just got back from my Saturday morning addrenaline/caffiene fix cruise.....The temps in Chicago are starting to drop below the safe temps for my Potenzas, and my thoughts are leaning toward putting my "Z" into storage soon.

I though I would revive this thread for a one year review.....

Right now I have just over 25K miles on my turbo. My set-up is and end to end APS solution....yup, "I'm an APS fan-boy";

350Z-SB/Touring/NAVI - 5AT
APS Tall-boy Plenum
APS Strut-bar
APS/ST @9.5 psi....430hp/tq
APS 2.5 exhaust

StopTech stage 2 brakes...drilled
stock '18 w/stock rubber(Potenza's)
Stillen Street Scene Grille

ONE YEAR OBSERVATION;

I am extermely pleased with my choice.....I am extremely comfortable with the performance....no second thoughts....not looking to buy another performance car.

My "Z" is a "week-end" car....stored in the winter......I use it for nothing other than hedonistic pleasure.....I do not take it any place that I cannot be hedonistic, or that other like minds do not go.....

TRANSMISSION( first for those considering 5AT w/ Forced Induction):
My 5AT remains rock solid....I can "snap heads" in 1-4(Manumatic). As I mentioned earlier, I had to relearn my 5AT. My dyno shows my peak torque hits at 3200 rpms.....this in effect automatically loads my torque converter.....I am not going to explain this again...but this is important to solid, rapid shifts on a 5AT. In urban driving(stop light to stop light) I use manumatic.....this allows me to shift high on the torque curve....(hint, eliminate flare, and allow for solid engagement). When I get on the hwy, I switch to "full auto"....here I can fully use the speed an logic of the 5AT transmission program......and yes I will shift faster than any manual driver I have run against(matter of fact in both manumatic and full auto).

I went to "Tail of the Dragon" this year......and I now see the importance of a close ratio 6MT.....close ratio gives you greater engine control in the twisties....the 5AT gears are "tall".......my experience in the tight twisties with a 5AT were hair raising....was never in the "perfect" gear.....had to keep the RPMs way higher that I was comfortable to "get it perfect"......bottom line, 6MT rules in tight twisties....I do not miss it anywhere else.

My 5AT transmission remains solid with no sign of compromise.......caveat... if you have to ask me what flare is, and you cannot eliminate it in your existing set-up leave the 5AT-F/I combination alone until you do.

APS/ST comments.....

PERFORMANCE....I went with APS because I liked the engineering design of their single turbo, and it has exceeded my expectations in every manner. I went into this project looking for 425hp.

I got a conservative tune which gives me 430/tq......I absolutely love it, the "Z" is transformed.....400hp transforms this platform....."you can kill yourself" easily with this set-up.....for all you hard-core drivers running 450+ without AWD.....mad props to you!!!!

In some of my posts, you may have "heard" me say "go F/I and forget about all the alphabet soup".......nuff said.

MAINTENANCE:

I have said before my maintenance cost have not increased, but my maintenance schedules have....if you do not understand/cannot afford this....stay away from F/I until you can.

Maintenance to date:

oil changes.....every 3K miles
5AT Transmission fluid change.....@30K miles
Tires....2 sets of rears

APS solenoid change out......"no charge"....APS solution for smoke in between shifts.

Cross-over exhaust leak repair....."no charge".

TUNER;

Genesis Racing Development, Naperville, Il.

Mad props to the whole crew at GRD(Tuan(Iza), Irshad, Phil, Chris, Les)....THANK-YOU!

CIVIC RESPONSIBILITIES:

I got my APS/ST last September.....by the time I stored it in late Oct ,I had 3 tickets(I had not gotten a ticket in over 10yrs....did not know what 3 tickets meant!).

Solution: Valentine V1...........yea baby......oh yes, and some maturity.

Peace.........

Last edited by JoneZZZ; 11-08-2006 at 02:58 PM.
Old 10-21-2006, 04:36 PM
synth19

good review, what is your tq numbers?

Last edited by synth19; 10-23-2006 at 12:42 PM.
Old 10-21-2006, 04:44 PM
tig488

good lord, you bought it in september, its a weekend car, not driven in the winter, and youve put 25K miles on it!?

do you drive from Chicago to Los Angeles every weekend during the summer?

ive had mine installed since aug 05, i drive it everyday, 45 miles a day, and ive only put ~15K miles on mine.

you drive the hell out of that thing on the weekends.
Old 10-21-2006, 08:12 PM
roncfpz

Great reiew and glad to read things are going well. I echo your comments on the 5AT. Did you upgrade the VB?
Old 10-22-2006, 02:27 PM
coachk
Banned

JoneZZZ,
The 430 hp on your ST is to the motor and not to the wheels..is that correct.Just wondering because my APS TT is only putting down 420whp at 9 psi
Old 10-22-2006, 04:51 PM
JoneZZZ

Thanks for the comments;

synth19 - my torque is 430@3200RPM. I am dying to see your car...we need
to hook up...I want to see your set-up!

tig488 - I LUV my "Z" mang'....it just begs to be driven....and I do!!!

roncfpz - No I have not upgraded my VB...I have taken this year to evaluate.
Right now I see no need to.....don't get me wrong, I am not
discounting the VB/TC upgrade.....but the benefit does not justify
the cost for me right now.

coachk - my tune is to 9.5 psi....
Old 10-23-2006, 12:39 PM
coachk
Banned

Any chance you could post your dyno sheet? Still wondering how your ST is putting down more WHP than my TT.Do you have a built motor,I didn't see it in your post anywhere.If your putting down that type of WHP i should have went with a ST but something doesn't sound right here.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:53 PM
synth19

JonZZZ, I have the same question... is this WHP you are posting, or estimated HP @ the crank? If the former, Tuan is a god!!!
Old 10-23-2006, 12:54 PM
synth19

I'm 99.9% he is on the stock block.

Originally Posted by coachk
Any chance you could post your dyno sheet? Still wondering how your ST is putting down more WHP than my TT.Do you have a built motor,I didn't see it in your post anywhere.If your putting down that type of WHP i should have went with a ST but something doesn't sound right here.
Old 10-23-2006, 01:04 PM
Bullitproof

Here's a link to my dyno numbers. this is an aps st, stock block with cams. it's whp not crank.

http://www.350zmotoring.com/forums/s...1&postcount=79
Old 10-23-2006, 05:05 PM
JoneZZZ

Originally Posted by synth19
JonZZZ, I have the same question... is this WHP you are posting, or estimated HP @ the crank? If the former, Tuan is a god!!!

All, this is off the dyno sheet, so it should be at the crank....and yes I do have a stock block.

Quick Reply: APS Single Turbo on a 5AT_Comments!!!