Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

APS Single Turbo on a 5AT_Comments!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2005, 03:30 PM
JoneZZZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up APS Single Turbo on a 5AT_Comments!!!

I have gotten numerous PMs from other 5AT owners about F/I , and related upgrades for the 5AT, so I thought I would post this. I got my car back yesterday....thanks to Tuan, Irshad and the GRD staff for getting this returned ON MY BIRTHDAY!!.... High gas prices and closed gas stations in the DC area kept me from taking the cruise that I had planned....but that is another story.

Installation details:
Tuan was able to get my car back to me with a base tune on a 91 octane fuel map. I will take it back to get the 93 octane map and a more aggressive tune. I went into this project with a whp number goal(425).....we will work on that. I do not think I willbe able to get to all of it but we will see.... A tune and additional dyno time is scheduled for this coming week. I was really concerened about taking my baby home with an "incomplete" tune, but Tuan assured me "no worries"....with the 91 map(93 in the tank) and the base boost...no worries.
Fit and finish on the install is beautiful. Wires wrapped nicely, rubber mounts placed at rub points (top of the plenum/hood)....looks beatiful.

Driving Impressions:

The car is "transformed" it a different animal....gobs of torque....in just the right places...boost seems to kick in about 3K...seems to stay solid till at least 6K....I have been carefull not to hit the rev limiter(did it once and it was ugly). I really have not needed more than 6k revs.....I get to 120 in a blink.

OK....I am a hwy driver....Instead of going to DC...took a "quick trip to Milwaukee" to get a Starbucks. Torque is right where it is needed 3K-6K. In the AT mode, I am stillable to downshift when I want....just have to watch the tach and induce my shift now cause it looks like it will blow through redline if i stay in it... .....toyed with a C5 today.....wanted to see what I could do(this is the kind of confidence this set-up inspires!!!!)....he did not bite.

For us 5AT drivers here is where my concerns were.....
shifting ....I never lost control of my ability to induce a shift in the AT mode....redline comes up really fast, but I am still able to induce a shift where I want in the auto mode. Manual mode shifting is a no brainer....I have learned to eliminate shift flare in both manumatic and full AT mode. Around town I drive manumatic...rpms to 3500 and hit the blow off valve on every shift....I use full at on the Hwy, shifts are still lightning fast in full AT......they still are ...

I still have the ability to do a 4-3 "rev"...then engage the torque converter at will

wear and tear on the torque converter...

I did not feel like I was abusing my torque converter....I seem to still be working witin its limits.....even down to torque multiplication....can still feel it working for me....I do not use it as much...I can hit 120-130 with no problem.....If you dial in Torque Multiplication when accelerating you better have some room.... big numbers really fast! My initial impresssion is that for the way I drive, I will put more wear ad tear on the torque converter than the valve body. I will make additional comments about the torque converter after changing the fuel map and increasing the boost.

valve body/crisp shifting

As mentioned earlier, I was pleasantly surprised with the speed and crispness of my induced shifts....the are still there and they are still fast....no percieved flare. Note....I have not had the guts to mash the accelerator and find out if it will shift normally at WOT....never did that anyway...shift point was too high.....and I really believe this thing will hit the rev limit and keep going.....6K RPMs rolls up VERY quickly!

Manumatic shifting......I have learned to eliminate shift flaree when shifting aggressivly in manumatic mode. I do believe that overtime shift flare is the biggest threat to tranny life....getting FI require re-learning your 5AT.

heat

I think I may rethink my Stillen Street Scene Grill during the summer(hate to give it up....will probably cut out everything behind it), or super hot days....or invest in an efficient radiator....have seen no evidence of a problem. There seems to be more heat from the engine bay after a run....not major increase, but I can tell the difference. During the last few minutes of my drives, I try to stay out of boost....normal cool down procedures in play here.

OVERALL IMPRESSION

Last edited by JoneZZZ; 09-07-2006 at 03:27 PM.
Old 09-04-2005, 03:39 PM
roncfpz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you considered an ECU reflash to raise the rev limit to 7100?
Old 09-04-2005, 03:45 PM
BlueDragonZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice, I'm drooling over your descriptions :lol:
Old 09-04-2005, 05:04 PM
kopo

Congrats !!!
Old 09-04-2005, 05:04 PM
JoneZZZ

Originally Posted by roncfpz
Have you considered an ECU reflash to raise the rev limit to 7100?

roncfpz......during the initial stages listening to peoples experiences, I thought it might be an option, but at this stage, given the control in shifting the 5AT I still have, I see no need for this step right now....

Now here is what I need to do ....just go WOT and wait for the 5AT to shift....just to see what the response will be.....I think I know what will happen.
Old 09-04-2005, 05:08 PM
JoneZZZ

Originally Posted by kopo
Congrats !!!
Thanks Kopo....I should have called you this morning about my run to Milwaukee......probably best I did'nt(I drew lots of heat from Waukeegan/Racine Police....). Interested in doing a run tomorrow?....
Old 09-05-2005, 04:20 AM
roncfpz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JoneZZZ
roncfpz......during the initial stages listening to peoples experiences, I thought it might be an option, but at this stage, given the control in shifting the 5AT I still have, I see no need for this step right now....

Now here is what I need to do ....just go WOT and wait for the 5AT to shift....just to see what the response will be.....I think I know what will happen.
Please let us know. Glad to see some good feedback on the 5AT performance under FI. Congrats!!
Old 09-05-2005, 09:11 AM
JoneZZZ

OK....Just came back from another "morning run" Some additional observations .......still loving every second of this setup!!!

*"induced" upshifts in AT are still crisp....have not had the guts or the need to go WOT and let the system shift itself.

*Driving now takes a little more concentration...have to watch the tach because I can no longer rely on sound alone to induce shifting....engine gets to higher rpms faster , with less audible effort ...

*During highway driving, I have been impressed with the available torque.....today, I think I only used a 5-4 downshift on the hwy(had to watch the tach and speedo (to 130))....plenty of torque available in the existing gear. In past on hwy runs I have used 5-4, and 5-3 shifts(and sometimes it felt like a 5-2 shift when closer to 55mph)....

*A 3-2 downshift is insane.....

*just a thought here....had windows down today, but I want to listen and feel for the tranny hook-up on my downshifts....feels like the torque converter is taking the load and spools up....but I just want to make sure......I want to observe here to decide on whether the next upgrade will be the Torque Converter or the Valve Body.....more observations on this later.

Will take an "evening run" and have more observations...

Peace......
Old 09-05-2005, 09:33 AM
KenWH

*Driving now takes a little more concentration...have to watch the tach because I can no longer rely on sound alone to induce shifting....engine gets to higher rpms faster , with less audible effort ...

*During highway driving, I have been impressed with the available torque.....today, I think I only used a 5-4 downshift on the hwy(had to watch the tach and speedo (to 130))....plenty of torque available in the existing gear. In past on hwy runs I have used 5-4, and 5-3 shifts(and sometimes it felt like a 5-2 shift when closer to 55mph)....
I still can't figure out why nissan didn't just add a tach to the multi-funtion readout on the center stack. I find myself ALWAYS using the speedo there, a tach option there would be a welcome addition.
Old 09-05-2005, 09:37 AM
JoneZZZ

Originally Posted by KenWH
I still can't figure out why nissan didn't just add a tach to the multi-funtion readout on the center stack. I find myself ALWAYS using the speedo there, a tach option there would be a welcome addition.
+1 on that...... right now, I have speedo on the digital readout.....I think there is an option for a tach driven shift light...I need to investigate this and set it if it is available.
Old 09-05-2005, 09:52 AM
KenWH

Are you considering any exhaust upgrades? I've read that turbo's actually quiet down the exhaust note some. If your running the stock exhaust...I bet you can barely hear the motor at all. With an aftermarket exhuast, you'll at least be able to hear what the motor is doing a little better. Plus with bigger exhaust piping the turbo should be a little happier as well.

By the way...I've really enjoyed reading your post on your new f/i install...keep them coming!!!
Old 09-05-2005, 12:01 PM
JoneZZZ

Are you considering any exhaust upgrades? I've read that turbo's actually quiet down the exhaust note some. If your running the stock exhaust...I bet you can barely hear the motor at all........Plus with bigger exhaust piping the turbo should be a little happier as well. ........

KenWH....right now I am running the stock exhaust.....an upgrade will definitely be a part of significant headway toward a 425whp goal.....you are right, the setup is relatively quiet, however there is a definite "rumble" that was not there before at idle.....I can hear the turbo spool when I get into it....and the BOV is a dead give away(love that thing!!!).
Old 09-05-2005, 04:36 PM
KenWH

Yah...ya got to love that whoosh!!! Just wish my car had it.

Speakin' of the whoosh..."Got Whoosh?" would be a good sig for someone with a turbo car.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:16 PM
JoneZZZ

OK....observations after todays "evening run".....

* I am convinced that induced shifts(shifts controlled with the accelerator) are the fastest shift and are also solid(no perceptible flare with this method).....

*Shifting in manumatic mode seems to work/feel best when RPMs reach 3.5K and above....reach desired RPM....lift off accelerator briefly...shift...back into accelerator. This method seems to eliminate "flare", and allows solid engagement. Mind you I did not attempt this method during extented aggressive driving....just left a stop light to about 65(third gear).....not much out there is going to keep up with this method....but is does "seem" to be a slower shift.

*Regarding tranny hook-up on down shifting...I feel comfortable the torque converter is solidly engaged on both 5-4 and 5-3 down shifts....was able to easily spin the tires on a 5-3 downshift....pick-up on the 5-4 shift tells me there is likely to be minimal loss(good engagement).

After 2.5 days and (1) ticket..I am lovin' this set-up more and more...

Peace.......
Old 09-05-2005, 06:21 PM
JoneZZZ

Yah...ya got to love that whoosh!!! .....
Manumatic shifting at 3.5K hits the BOV on every shift......
Old 09-06-2005, 04:13 AM
SungNamZ

As was stated in one of the initial posts, get the "L" spec flash on your ECU. Moves your rev limit to 7100 - 7200 rpms and allows the shifts in the "D" mode to happen at 6900 rpms. In addition, speed limit will speed limit is removed and you get 100% throttle Vs 85%.

Last edited by SungNamZ; 09-06-2005 at 04:27 AM.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:46 AM
nexstage350

KenWH....right now I am running the stock exhaust.....an upgrade will definitely be a part of significant headway toward a 425whp goal.....you are right, the setup is relatively quiet, however there is a definite "rumble" that was not there before at idle.....I can hear the turbo spool when I get into it....and the BOV is a dead give away(love that thing!!!).
as for your BOV u and hear it pretty good? loud not loud? i was in my friends aps tt and i couldn't hear anything and can barely hear it spool, but! def feel the torque!!! . as for the aps ST wondering how it sounds?
Old 09-06-2005, 08:49 AM
Sins4u33

1 question...have you tryed power braking your car after the ST upgrade? i am wondering if you can power brake it to the extent where you are making boost standing still? please give it a try if you are willing? i am very curious to see if any 5at guys thing the same way i do when it comes to drag racing. and i would love to know if this kit is able to build boost by power braking. let us know thanks man

Ben Y
Old 09-06-2005, 05:26 PM
JoneZZZ

Originally Posted by SungNamZ
As was stated in one of the initial posts, get the "L" spec flash on your ECU. Moves your rev limit to 7100 - 7200 rpms and allows the shifts in the "D" mode to happen at 6900 rpms. In addition, speed limit will speed limit is removed and you get 100% throttle Vs 85%.

SungNamZ.....thanks for the tip....I am looking very carefully at the SGP valve body as an alternative to the reflash...I will be looking closely at the results.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:40 PM
JoneZZZ

Nexstage350...I would call the BOV noticible...I know I got more than a couple of drivers attention with it !!

Sins4u33....I know it is possible....have not attempted it....would have two concerns....GUARANTEED no traction(especially on my stock 17") , and wear and tear issues.....now that you bring it up, I think what I like most about this set-up is just RPM range that boost kicks in....from a standing start you have the possibility of a good launch and by 3K(not exactly), you are "riding a rocket"............(still with traction issues!!!)

Quick Reply: APS Single Turbo on a 5AT_Comments!!!