Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Glad I stayed with my Vortech

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 07:02 AM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Glad I stayed with my Vortech

For the past year I've learned quite a bit about F/I , but at the same time , I have only just stuck my foot in the door . For the past year several new ST and TT kits have come out . One in paticullar got tons of praise and it was said to be the [ONLY kit] out there to go with . And on just about every thread started about SC's , one or more of the guys that bought the [ONLY TT ], came in saying.....I'm glad I got rid of my SC and went with the [Only TT] .
Now....some of the same guys are having issues with that ST and TT [ONLY KIT TO BUY ] And cant seem to find or get rid of thier problems . And the [ ONLY COMPANY ] seems to not have the answers the guys are looking for .
There many of you TT guys that love your cars and aren't having problems at all , and I am jealous of the trq they put down . But at the same time , Im glad as hell I stayed with my Vortech . Im making really good power and got plans for a little more this winter . Its simple and easier to learn . It isnt over priced and hard to install . It isnt over engineered and made so dam safe that it causes problems .
So I guess I just started this thread to say....screw the guys that kept ragging on the SC and we should sell the kit and buy the [ONLY TT ] You know who you are !!!!
And I would like to say THANKS to the guys willing to help anyone with a SC and ST and TT kit . You guys are the tops .

Last edited by booger; 09-26-2005 at 07:40 AM.
Old 09-26-2005, 07:41 AM
backagain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well put boog, i still have people ragging me about getting rid of my vortech and getting st or tt, i even considered it at one point, but decided to keep it, i love the sound of it, im not going to bash a st or tt kit, but at the same time every other thread i see on here is problem with aps st or tt. my buddy just got a turbonetics, install was very easy for someone who has never put one on before, had some small minor kinks over the first few days but all is well now. if i had to do it all over again, i would still do the vortech or turbonetics, hard to decide
Old 09-26-2005, 07:44 AM
HarvesterUT
Premier Member

i have always thought a SC was much better for reliable power and less maintenance than a turbo kit...no matter which car it is....the bottom line is your glad you have what you have. to some people power is never enough....im happy staying NA
Old 09-26-2005, 07:47 AM
booger

The [ ONLY KIT ] doesnt seem to be all that it was cracked up to be . And you said it ...on your two choices of kits you still would go with today...Me too
Old 09-26-2005, 07:49 AM
Barzten1

That was well put Booger. I love my Vortech set-up and I've proven its reliability and winning function myself. Ran with tons of cars and am totally pleased and I love the sound. The instant power is awsome. I've ran with a Turbonetics G35 and even though he had his torque #'s I spanked him from a dig and had him by a car from 3 rolls.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:21 AM
failsafe306

Originally Posted by HarvesterUT
i have always thought a SC was much better for reliable power and less maintenance than a turbo kit...
No offence, but I don't see changing and tightening drive belts all the time as "less maintenance". Ask Bartelb, or any other TT guy with lots of FI miles who have been fortunate enough to not have smoking issues, how much maintenance it requires, or how reliable it has been.

Last edited by failsafe306; 09-26-2005 at 08:24 AM.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:29 AM
failsafe306

I'm not defending APS per se, just all TT owners in general who have enjoyed their kits for thousands of miles, and not having to do one ounce of "maintenance" except changing engine oil.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:36 AM
narkotic

What a childish thread.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:21 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i <3 my TT kit.

I've had SC on my last car... and now with my Z TT'd. i dont think i'll ever go back.
Besides.. the whine an SC makes is definately less sexy than Twin Turbos Spooling up..
Old 09-26-2005, 09:27 AM
g35pm

Originally Posted by narkotic
What a childish thread.
Classic.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:48 AM
barthelb
Master

I like the SC but as far as more attainable power, less tightening of belts. Annoying pulley noises. You can't beat the Turbo.

Its just as quiet as stock when you are at idle. You can run test pipes and be about 50% quieter. Its easier to adjust the boost than swap a pulley.

Now, as you said there are a lot of people with problems and no support. I guess its just in the installer and which kit you get. I think their both good solutions. I was this - close to buying the Vortech so I don't feel my decision is biast. After riding in LouZer's car I was practically sold but my installer recommended to just wait a couple months to see how this "new kit" was. And Im happy with that decision.

It all comes down to how happy you are with your decision. Either way its a good choice.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:04 AM
G352NV

WELL, Ive had the Vortech and was one that switched to the TT. The reasons why. I was tired of fuggin with that belt! Nothing like pulling up to a light in your 35k car and its sounds like a box of rocks! That cog belt is crap! You also have to worry about adjustment of the main belt and slip under boost. Its ok, I use to defend the Vortech too. Anyone that spends 5k on a system tends to defend it. BUT that being said I dont care who goes with what. I try to answer all the FI questions I can. Whats right for one might not be right for another and Im not going to tell someone different!
Old 09-26-2005, 10:05 AM
xxlbeerZ

Most FI problems are due to the install/tune, not the kit.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:11 AM
002-M-P

I have 13,000 miles on my Greddy TT kit now and have loved every second of it. The only headache I have had at all was with the slipping clutch, but with the new clutch/flywheel I have I am glad the stocker started slipping. I have some huge plans coming up and can't wait (I'm so anxious). Personally I would have never gone with SC and never plan to go with SC, I guess you can call my turbo biased but to each their own. Just because I would choose TT over anything (ST, SC, NA, NO2) anyday of the week, that doesn't mean I don't have just as much respect for all the guys that push the limits of their engine setup that is different from my own preference as I do for my fellow TT enthusiasts. People who have problems and overcome it, more power to them.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:13 AM
RedLeader

Booger-
I support anybody who wants to boost their car, and I'm glad you're happy with your setup. I sold my S/C, bought an APS TT kit, and I got exactly what I paid for. But let's be really clear: I made some choices that created issues. (The APS kit wasn't designed to run with a low-compression motor.) I also ignored the fact there isn't an APS authorized shop in my State. Everybody needs to know that there's a knowledge gap between your average shop and shops like Z-Car Garage that are experienced with the proper installation and tuning of these kits. I had a good install done locally, but ZCG faxed me TWO PAGES of corrections they recommended after inspecting the car. No more oil smoke, big horesepower, and more boost on the way. Ultimately, it came down to making horsepower. The APS kit put down 412WHP right out of the box. In retrospect, I'd be a wealthier man today if I'd kept my supercharger and continued with stock internals.

Long live the Z!

Bruce
Old 09-26-2005, 10:19 AM
G352NV

Originally Posted by RedLeader
Booger-
I support anybody who wants to boost their car, and I'm glad you're happy with your setup. I sold my S/C, bought an APS TT kit, and I got exactly what I paid for. But let's be really clear: I made some choices that created issues. (The APS kit wasn't designed to run with a low-compression motor.) I also ignored the fact there isn't an APS authorized shop in my State. Everybody needs to know that there's a knowledge gap between your average shop and shops like Z-Car Garage that are experienced with the proper installation and tuning of these kits. I had a good install done locally, but ZCG faxed me TWO PAGES of corrections they recommended after inspecting the car. No more oil smoke, big horesepower, and more boost on the way. Ultimately, it came down to making horsepower. The APS kit put down 412WHP right out of the box. In retrospect, I'd be a wealthier man today if I'd kept my supercharger and continued with stock internals.

Long live the Z!

Bruce
Yes Rob told me not to worry about that oil problem. If I have it at the end of my install he will fix it. The guys at Z car are great! Long live the G! lol
Old 09-26-2005, 10:48 AM
booger

Originally Posted by narkotic
What a childish thread.

Of course you would say that . You came in hear to do your NORMAL BASHING of the Vortech . Do you see us going around to the [ the ONLY TT ] threads where guys are smoking and cant fix the problem . Saying...what you say in ALL the SC threads...GO AWAY..WE HAVE HEARD IT ALL FROM YOU....your the one being childish
Old 09-26-2005, 10:59 AM
booger

I respect all of the guys that went TT or ST .Its guys like Narkotic...with thier holyer than thou attitude about thier kit . And your the reason for me posting this in the first place . Narkotic....your the child and always have been...time for you to grow up , put an ice bag on that big A$$ head of yours . If you dont have something to say to help some one on a SC thread...stay out of it PLEASE

Last edited by booger; 09-26-2005 at 11:08 AM.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:09 AM
RedLeader

Booger-
Dustins' Vortech Z(nativ4ply) is what got me started down the forged path. His Vortech with forged internals and a higher psi pulley puts down over 400horses and rocks.
My exhaust smoke has been more than a little embarassing. I should have taken it to Rob sooner. I haven't seen it with my own eyes yet, but he assures me it's smoke-free. Those with smoking APS kits need to visit Z-Car Garage. I can't wait to finish tuning and post final numbers!

Bruce
Old 09-26-2005, 11:30 AM
booger

Originally Posted by failsafe306
No offence, but I don't see changing and tightening drive belts all the time as "less maintenance". Ask Bartelb, or any other TT guy with lots of FI miles who have been fortunate enough to not have smoking issues, how much maintenance it requires, or how reliable it has been.
I dont see why all these guys have trouble with the belts . I put my Gates or simular belt on...wait two weeks tighten it up and forget it . Ive had mine on for 3500 miles and still makes the same psi with no slipping, no belt dust .
Im not or never have put down the ST or TT...like I said , Im jealoous of the trq they put down . I dont come into Turbo threads bashing you about your problems and telling you , you should have stayed with a SC . So I just expect the same from the turbo guys in SC threads thats all

Quick Reply: Glad I stayed with my Vortech