Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Motor is officially BLOWN! Yes it was Forged

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 05:14 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by theking
It doesn't limit how much you can adjust the timing. You could run 1 degree of total timing if you wanted to via the reflash(even though the car might not run). The problem with a reflash is the maf and hitting the voltage checkpoint and going into limp mode. Jorge was using the Maf for low voltage part throttle and then it went to Map to add some IPW back in. You can use a flash in conjunction with the emanage and many people are doing this so that all the timing maps on the ecu match in all positions(see ecu stabilization thread). 8-9 psi is the max for the stock fuel system and also the maf. That is why the flashes are for that. Not the reasons you speak of.
What I meant is that you cannot adjust timing for any boost higher that whatever corresponds to the max the MAF can handle not how much you adjust timing itself they could put 1 or 50 but it wont do any good when you go to 12 psi as the MAF will be maxed out before that, in Jorges case he was fine fuel wise because the EU was running using boost but the timing was still not for the 12 psi but rather for 8-9. read carefully.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:26 PM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
hence why MAP based tuning is the only way to fly MAF for everything up to zero psi, map for everything over. No voltage clamping to deal with, no MAF restriction either

Otherwise, its alot of reinventing the wheel finding and fitting larger MAF's, remaking intakes, sorting out the wiring, scaling the voltages, etc etc.
Yeah but it's a lot more consistent and accurate, with generally a better possible resolution than MAPs. This is OT, but if you jsut look at the voltage range of the MAP sensors vs MAFs. There is about 3.9V of usable range (1.1 to 4.9) to account for -10psi vacuum to +9 psi of boost (and more on a larger diameter MAF), whereas a greddy MAP sensor for example (and the others are very close) has a range of only 1.31 V (calculated from 0.81V=-10psi and 2.12V=9psi). Not to mention that you MUST have a carefully developed IAT-compensated injector map to get barely close to the consistency of the MAF. It's just a lot harder to adopt a new MAF setup then slap on a MAP sensor, and by far not "the only way to fly".
Old 11-01-2005, 05:27 PM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper

George, this sucks man.... sorry to hear about your engine.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:33 PM
theking

My post was saying yes you can. He won't be able to run as much timing down low but it can be correct up top. The ecu adjusts the timing even when the maf is maxed out. His flash can make the timing whatever he wants. The timing is somewhat related to the MAF but not to the extent you are implying. As long as you know where you are clamping/maxing out the maf voltage you can get your desired timing via reflash and then fine tune via emanage. I agree it's not ideal but remember he also ran the car with the stock radiator for awhile and living in florida it does get extremely hot and humid. I think it is more of a heat issue but that is my humble opinion.
Originally Posted by westpak
What I meant is that you cannot adjust timing for any boost higher that whatever corresponds to the max the MAF can handle not how much you adjust timing itself they could put 1 or 50 but it wont do any good when you go to 12 psi as the MAF will be maxed out before that, in Jorges case he was fine fuel wise because the EU was running using boost but the timing was still not for the 12 psi but rather for 8-9. read carefully.

Last edited by theking; 11-01-2005 at 05:35 PM.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:34 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Originally Posted by GurgenPB
Brandon,

I have told Sharif about this a while back... but I already had a larger 4" diamtere MAF housing fabricated. The Z maf plugs right in. Just haven't had the chance to make the piece after that. If you guys want to play with it, let me know, I can send it over. I won't be able to play with it til at least early December.
I will give Sharif a call and see if he'll do some testing on it.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:37 PM
Gman2004

ok here's the deal....I have the TS Greddy TT timing map on the ECU, but not the fuel tables. I had the greddy turbo map flashed onto my ecu in order to stablize the timing maps. When Sharif tuned the car he had a consult hooked up and determined that no further timing need to be pulled so he zeroed out the timing cells on the EU. The flash is not controlling the a/f the EU is handling that part.

Thanks for all the support guys! This feeling sucks! Especially since this is my second time experiencing it in the past 6 months. I got to drive my car a total of 5 months this year.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:28 PM
BoOsTedz33TT

sorry to hear about your loss, i know it hurts.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:43 PM
COJ_General

Dude Im sorry to here about your car! Its a tragedy! you have done so much to it that it sucks to see it go!
Old 11-01-2005, 06:56 PM
mchapman

TurboXS are creating an upgraded MAF / housing / intake tube at the moment.

Last edited by mchapman; 11-01-2005 at 07:24 PM.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:02 PM
leemik
!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Jorge, you are one of the best people on this forum.. sad to see you go this way.. but the best of luck to you..

--mike
Old 11-01-2005, 07:15 PM
narkotic

Originally Posted by tig488
ok, speaking about all this MAF max out issue, makes me wonder, what happens when boosting higher than 9psi, say about 12? and does the Unichip take that into account and compensate?
The unichip (or any other piggyback device) will clamp the MAF to around 4.9v to keep the car out of limp mode and then take over w/ the MAP sensor.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:48 PM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper

Originally Posted by mchapman
TurboXS are creating an upgraded MAF / housing / intake tube at the moment.
WOW , this is cool. Keep us posted. That's the killer app!!!!
Old 11-01-2005, 07:49 PM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper

Originally Posted by Brandon@Forged
I will give Sharif a call and see if he'll do some testing on it.
N.P. Just offering..
Old 11-02-2005, 06:20 AM
roncfpz

Originally Posted by leemik
Jorge, you are one of the best people on this forum.. sad to see you go this way.. but the best of luck to you..

--mike
+1......Jorge it would definitely be a bummer to see you let it go now, but family comes first. Good luck and hope that you keep it. Perhaps getting a daily "beater" might be the answer and helps reduce the pressure of down time. I'm seriously considering the same now that mine is in the shop....again.....for several weeks.

Ron
Old 11-02-2005, 06:56 AM
Gman2004

Originally Posted by roncfpz
+1......Jorge it would definitely be a bummer to see you let it go now, but family comes first. Good luck and hope that you keep it. Perhaps getting a daily "beater" might be the answer and helps reduce the pressure of down time. I'm seriously considering the same now that mine is in the shop....again.....for several weeks.

Ron
I have considered getting a beater. If I have a buyer for the car after it is fixed, I will sell it. If not I will buy the beater and keep the car. I don't know what to do. One minute I want the car and the other minute I can't stand the sight of it.

I picked up the car from the shop this morning and drove it home. They cleaned all the oil off the driver's side plugs and it runs fine now. It does not backfire or hesitate......pretty much leads me to believe it is the ringlands on the driver's side pistons.

Sounds pretty much like what happened to 350zDCalb and failsafe306.

Last edited by Gman2004; 11-02-2005 at 07:07 AM.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:05 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

gurgen - a proper MAP based system has a much broader range than that - using a 5 bar sensor for example, gives you a TON of zones to tune for on the positive side. While you are a bit limited on the vaccum side, it is more than enough on every standalone I've ever worked with to make idle and cruising speeds as well as light throttle/no boost situations as smooth as can be.

I think the primary reason for lots of the failures is the fact that you are not dialing in fixed timing figures, with set parameters, but rather a blend of the ecu and emanage under boost.

The key lies in the systems that have been used to date IMHO
Old 11-02-2005, 08:19 PM
Anubis

If i were you, i def. keep the car, it's your project so keep it, def. get a beater and transform this to a summer only weekend warrior, thats my plan anyway, i am just waiting till the warrenty is over and i'll take the same path you have taken, good luck with your car and hope everything turns out for the best....
Old 11-03-2005, 01:57 AM
mjedens

Default Z1 Performance

Adam-"not dialing in fixed timing figures"! IYO, are you saying that is the reason most boost applications are failing and that's why a standalone like the HKS FCON is needed in mid to high boost situations. I'm not trying to put you on the spot, just trying to justify my spending habits.(I've recently switched from eManage to HKS- installation going on now)

Thanks for sharing your vast knowledge!!
Old 11-03-2005, 02:14 PM
Gman2004

I had a leakdown test performed and cylinder #1 had 22% leakdown and #3 had 11%. We went no further. Most probably the driver's side piston ringlands gave. I don't know why.

The shipping company will pick the car up next Saturday 11/12. They were going to pick it up tomorrow, but I had already scheduled a complete Zaino detail for next Friday. It will show up in TX very shiny. Should be there before Thanksgiving.
Old 11-05-2005, 12:50 PM
G352NV

Bro this really sux! I hate to see this chit! I just did a mod to my G. I bought a 700.00 95 Civic. Im going to beat on it until the whels fall off! Its always a great idea to have another car when modding like we do.

Quick Reply: Motor is officially BLOWN! Yes it was Forged