Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Best way to get 400whp?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 06:36 PM
03_Track_Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to get 400whp?

Hey here's what I want out of an FI setup :

1) ~400whp
2) Safe and reliable, with no need for forged internals (I'll sacrifice some hp for this)
3) I don't need room for improvement, I don't ever plan on going beyond this so I don't need something that is meant to.
4) I am on a budget, of course, BUT I won't sacrifice quality for price, I'd rather wait, the point of me saying that is that I don't want some crazy setup that costs 10grand without install, I know this will cost a lot, but not THAT much
5) I don't really care about top speed that much, it's just for spirited city and country driving, I won't be taking it on amazingly fast highway runs, but I will be smoking people from stoplights =)
6) lastly, did I mention reliable? i did, but it should be on here twice, i REALLY don't want my Z in the shop all the time, in fact I'd love a setup where I get this thing installed and then with the exception of basic maintenance i don't have to worry about it again.

What are your suggestions? Turbo or supercharger? Which one? Kit or custom setup? And can you also tell me how much it should cost when its ALL done, I mean like the kit, the gauges, the install, everything. Thanks very much.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:38 PM
Peking

Are we going to be paid?

How about also you guys answer me this, what investments will I get the greatest returns on for the next fiscal year?

Please do all the leg work for me and I will just sit back and not even do any of the research

Last edited by Peking; 11-01-2005 at 06:40 PM.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:40 PM
k3silk

ST or roots style blower
Old 11-01-2005, 06:40 PM
Peking

Originally Posted by k3silk
ST or roots style blower
Another question, do you own either one?
Old 11-01-2005, 06:48 PM
03_Track_Z

EDIT : oookay so all i want is some advice here, i have and will continue to search for it, but if someone has the exact setup that i mentioned, it would be helpful if they could share with me what it is, that's all i ask...

Last edited by 03_Track_Z; 11-01-2005 at 07:06 PM.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:00 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Boy this thread is not starting off on a good note!
Old 11-01-2005, 07:19 PM
failsafe306

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zland
Boy this thread is not starting off on a good note!
That's because a version of this exact same question has been asked over, and over, and over, and over again.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:33 PM
JDMFairlady21

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea seriously this board is starting to get cluttered with too many of the SAME topics.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:35 AM
Netko350Z

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Ummmm which CAI is the best?
Old 11-02-2005, 04:39 AM
Vamos_Rafael

Originally Posted by Netko350Z
Ummmm which CAI is the best?

They are ALL GOOD
Old 11-02-2005, 05:33 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by k3silk
ST or roots style blower
You need to do some research before giving completely wrong advise. 400rwhp with a roots (Stillen) s/c? Highest Stage 3 Stillen Ive heard of was 370whp, I doubt he could reach his 400whp goals with a Stillen AND supporting mods-they dont put out numbers like that.

Thread starter-I wont get to into this question too much because it has been asked like 147X now, but I would recommend a Vortech with a free flowing exhaust and a tune. Or a Turbonetics tuner kit with an Emanage tuned.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:49 AM
Brando

Originally Posted by 03_Track_Z
EDIT : oookay so all i want is some advice here, i have and will continue to search for it, but if someone has the exact setup that i mentioned, it would be helpful if they could share with me what it is, that's all i ask...
It can be a tough crowd here....

I wanted the exact same thing you asked for....

Read my thread titled "Vortech tuned at CPR"

It may be of some info. to you....
Old 11-02-2005, 08:05 AM
Oleg

Its only as reliable as your tuner/mechanic/installer is
And don't set your goals for a a whp read, it is just a dyno #. Decide what do you want the car to do. For good off the-light-acceleration you may decide to do the headers/exhaust/intake/manifold/shorter final drive gear/LSD. You will have enough $ left after this (as opposed after buying and having a turbo kit put in) to upgrade clutch (will need it anyway with FI), flywheel, brakes, suspension and to get a nice set of wide wheels with sticky rubber. $ to $ this will beat up anyone who has spent the money on a turbo set. If you read in the SPEED magazine about a FI showdown they had for 350Z (Vortech vs. Stillen vs. Greddy vs. JWT (a car by Axis, not by VRT)). Anyway, when it came to a roadcourse, the car that beat the fastest car (JWT BTW) by almost 2 sec was an NA car with extensive suspension/drivetrain mods (same driver for each car, the NA car was his own). Something to keep in the back of you mind...
Old 11-02-2005, 11:24 AM
Phatmitzu

200 shot dry NOS + ground wires.

Old 11-02-2005, 12:57 PM
fernandito7

Go with APS St or TT. i havent heard anyone having really big issues with this kit.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:04 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fernandito7
Go with APS St or TT. i havent heard anyone having really big issues with this kit.

yeah only the blowing smoke thing and a couple blown engines and the whole authorized APS/UTEC dealer thing

ok ok flame me, I spoke an evil about the APS kit
Old 11-02-2005, 02:34 PM
RedBird

1) ~400whp
2) Safe and reliable, with no need for forged internals (I'll sacrifice some hp for this)
3) I don't need room for improvement, I don't ever plan on going beyond this so I don't need something that is meant to.
4) I am on a budget, of course, BUT I won't sacrifice quality for price, I'd rather wait, the point of me saying that is that I don't want some crazy setup that costs 10grand without install, I know this will cost a lot, but not THAT much
5) I don't really care about top speed that much, it's just for spirited city and country driving, I won't be taking it on amazingly fast highway runs, but I will be smoking people from stoplights =)
6) lastly, did I mention reliable? i did, but it should be on here twice, i REALLY don't want my Z in the shop all the time, in fact I'd love a setup where I get this thing installed and then with the exception of basic maintenance i don't have to worry about it again.

What are your suggestions? Turbo or supercharger? Which one? Kit or custom setup? And can you also tell me how much it should cost when its ALL done, I mean like the kit, the gauges, the install, everything. Thanks very much.
I like an answer to this question myself, but I would be happy with 350-380HP at the rear wheel.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:02 PM
disturbed2483

1) ~400whp

well lets see you could go APS ST, Turbonetics ST, or Vortech its all about what type of pwer you want if you want linear id say supercharger, if you want more of an on off type thing id say turbo. I cant really speak for other kits other than the turbonetics since i dont have the others but have driven an APS car. But i installed my kit and have no problems what so ever and im putting down 390rwhp with exhaust. the kit was 4200 the install was all me so no charge, gauges were around 600 dollars , and you are going to need a new clutch if you wanna be reliable cause i only went like 1000 miles or so before my clutch gave out so take into consideration about 700 for the flywheel and clutch plus another 400 for install. So in total you are looking at about 6000 grand if you install the kit your self or add a grand if you pay somebody to do it.

Last edited by disturbed2483; 11-02-2005 at 03:05 PM.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:39 PM
Peking

Originally Posted by RedBird
I like an answer to this question myself, but I would be happy with 350-380HP at the rear wheel.

Also...

failsafe306, JDMFairlady21, Netko350Z, jvanquish, Alberto, Phatmitzu, sentry65... You guys are my kind of people
Old 11-02-2005, 06:35 PM
Netko350Z

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is you answer....
http://www.dreamworkesracing.com/cgi...=eng&page=News

Dream...on!

Quick Reply: Best way to get 400whp?