Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Oil cooler choices - help me please.

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 04:12 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by theking
Sounds like another project! I might as well have this CNC'd when I make up the twin fuel pump hanger to replace the stock bucket.
You know the gas tank is divided into 2 halfs by the driveshaft and that there are no baffles inside the tank, right? Twin fuel pumps is much easier said then done!! (Correctly).
Old 11-03-2005, 04:15 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Originally Posted by gringott
phunk - I agree about the removal of the stock doughnut, please keep me informed if you do come up with a part to replace it. I agree that it would be, at a minimum, good to remove redundant parts that are either not doing anything or at worse, increasing engine water temps and decreasing pressure.

The stock design is very puzzling to me, I can't see the advantage of having the water lines avoid the radiator on return.

Phunk: what water tempuratures are you seeing? Oil temps? What water and oil temps does a stock VQ have?

Do you know the inside diameter of the radiator return hose (upper)?

Also, do you still carry that fuel fix for the Walbro fuel pump? I have the PE kit, and according to Gurgen, your kit will fix a problem that occurs when the fuel level is low.
Thanks

Patrick Greene

Thanks.
I dont recall details but I remember 190-210 depending on the weather. I have hit 300 on the oil temp during a long lasting 170mph run.

As for the spacer, I will post if I make something, but first I will try it without. I like the idea of keeping it at the same time because it will get the oil up to temp faster.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:27 PM
ether

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

gringott - i'll be getting taking in the Z to get the arc unit put on during the course of next week.. a small compromise to the stock bumper will be made by having the stock bumper opening expanded downwards.. it seems like the the small height arc oil cooler should fit.. will let you know if this ends up working, there should be other cheaper oil cooler cores that are of roughly the same size to do this.. the only issue in getting the arc unit is the lack of space for using the oil filter relocation piece that comes with the kit.. may opt for a sandwich type of unit to feed the oil cooler but keeps the oil filter in place..
Old 11-03-2005, 04:37 PM
theking

Yeah, it's a "true" saddlebag setup. Not the easiest thing to work with but very doable.
Originally Posted by phunk
You know the gas tank is divided into 2 halfs by the driveshaft and that there are no baffles inside the tank, right? Twin fuel pumps is much easier said then done!! (Correctly).
Old 11-03-2005, 07:14 PM
CESAROTORRES

Default Subscribing

Subscribing
Old 11-03-2005, 08:52 PM
meme

i got the stillen oil cooler kit and the sandwhich pretty much sucks! it had metal flakes that i had to sand down(everywhere!). the plating or what ever was coming off.

if making your own kit, get a sandwhich with a thermostat.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:36 PM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

meme: The Stillen kit does not have a thermostat?

ether: I was drooling over the arc kit. Looks very nice. Please keep us informed, pictures would be great.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:54 PM
ether

i'll be posting up pics on the other board later on.. will take pics of the kit of before install and after..
Old 11-04-2005, 02:17 PM
meme

no thermostat in the stillen.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:25 PM
sentry65
the burninator

i ordered that B&M with the cooling fan

I'm going to remove the washer fluid tank and put it there somehow
Old 11-05-2005, 09:24 AM
meme

anyone have the stillen oil cooler instruction. want to see where to mount the cooler
Old 11-05-2005, 03:06 PM
gringott

Still working the issue of how/where to place a Lamiar water/air cooler, if I can't find a good place, maybe an ARC clone if ether's ARC setup works well.
Old 11-05-2005, 04:33 PM
weslutes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought that B&M tranny cooler w/fan & wedged it in the drivers side part of the bumper right behind the orange light. It was a VERY tight squeeze & the brackets took hours to perfect. Luckily the APS TT kit re-locates & reduces the size of the coolant overflow can over by the windshield washer fluid cap.

I'd like to fab a new windshield washer tank using all of the stock components & mount it in the passenger side front fender. Then I can wedge the B&M engine cooler w/fan up front on the passenger side.

I have a G35 with the Stillen bumper, so both will fit with plenty of air flow. I don't know if they'll fit on a stock G or Z because the Stillen bumper I have is a bit larger(longer/wider) than stock.

I'd have to agree with you guys; after installing an after market oil cooler, having the stock cooler sounds pointless but I think the stock "cooler" is actually dual function. First it's used as an oil heater used to raise the oil temp to operating temp, then it struggles to cool the oil(especially w/TT's) & keep the oil/coolant the same temp the rest of the time.

The Stillen cooler is supposed to be located in front of the AC condensor (where the IC goes). It fits with the Stillen IC which is about 1 inch thick but I doubt it will fit with any other IC. It's overpriced, pretty small, & lacking a thermostat & fan anyways. B&M is the way to go(If you can fit it somewhere), half the price & triple the functions.
Old 11-05-2005, 05:07 PM
gringott

I too am thinking of getting the Stillen bumper, but the pe kit moves the stock overflow to the driver's side fender so basically I have both fenders full. I am curious about the APS kit, does it do the same (make the overflow tank smaller and relocate)? I was looking at the service book and it seems that the coolant can is not just an overflow catch can, but an expansion tank for the cooling system. I am a little afraid to mess with it. Jegs and Summit have various sizes of coolant "catch cans" but I am not sure which type to get. Does anyone have any knowledge of the effects of downsizing this container? Is it a problem?
Old 11-07-2005, 09:10 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by weslutes
I bought that B&M tranny cooler w/fan & wedged it in the drivers side part of the bumper right behind the orange light. It was a VERY tight squeeze & the brackets took hours to perfect. Luckily the APS TT kit re-locates & reduces the size of the coolant overflow can over by the windshield washer fluid cap.
i know it might be a PITA to remove the bumper, but can you get a picture of your setup?

since this seems now to be *the* Oil COoler thread.. i think people should post up their install images and their part numbers... maybe i'll link my thread up here too..

Ether: any updates to the ARC??
Old 11-07-2005, 03:39 PM
ether

dropped of the Z this past weekend, the installer has to finish building up a drift car before he can get to it.. looks like next week at the earliest.. seems like custom mounts will have to be fabbed to fit with the APS IC, but should work.. likely that the front bumper will look a bit rough in the intial pics, asked him to focus on the mechanical portion of the install, will take care of looks later
Old 11-07-2005, 06:56 PM
weslutes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gringo:
Yes, the APS kit re-locates the coolant overflow with a whole new can. I'm not positive that the actual size is reduced, it is a different shape though.
I wouldn't know exactly which can to get but as long as it's close to the stock size, you should be good.

Chebosto:
Actually, the bumper isn't completly bolted on anyways(built motor going in any time now). I lost my camera, so I'll see if I can borrow one & I'll take some pics when I'm done.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:34 AM
gringott

Can anyone confirm the inside diameter of the upper radiator hose? Is it 1.50 inches? I hate to pull the hose just to measure it.

Thanks if you can help.

Much as I hate it, I pulled the hose and it appears to be about 1.50" inside diameter. Correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited by gringott; 11-08-2005 at 12:12 PM.
Old 11-08-2005, 03:30 PM
ether

check this out.. its 34mm

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/74163-sensor-attachment-size-for-upper-radiator-hose.html
Old 11-08-2005, 04:14 PM
MIAPLAYA

If you are looking to add a coolant temp sensor on the return pipe for the coolant Blitz makes one with a bung already there. i have it on my car.
http://www.hopupracing.com/blcopeni35.html

That sensor is where I get the water temp for this gauge

Quick Reply: Oil cooler choices - help me please.