Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Oil cooler choices - help me please.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 05:19 PM
ether

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have u given thought to how much cooling you need.. reason i ask is if you are going to keep the car as more of daily driver you may not need that much more cooling capacity, i'm at about 120-125% oil temp to water temp when i run the Z on the track and since it will be a track car from now on went with a full flowing unit with direct airflow

in normal driving the temp is at max 110%-115% oil temp to water temp very close to stock levels. If i had kept it a daily driver i would have gone for a small oil cooler (w fan) without the need to in direct airflow stream.. more along the lines of the diff cooler setup.. with the upgraded radiator and finned oil pan the oil temp is within reason

If you do go with the inline unit, will reducing to 32mm and adding the inline affect the stock cooling system in regards to coolant flow? thats what i would be concerned about.. if you don't have already have, should get both oil and water temp gauges to monitor the system, don't rely on the stock water temp gauge that thing is basically binary at high temp levels
Old 11-09-2005, 06:32 PM
ether

why don't you just get the inline with the 32mm fitting, get a shop to cut off the fitting and weld on a 34mm size.. from the looks of how its constructed it should be a very straight fwd thing to do.. you could use the stock radiator fittings (assuming you upgrade that also)

here is a pdf of the unit that shows the fittings, it looks like it should be a quick thing to do

http://64.202.180.37/files/laminova.pdf
Old 11-10-2005, 04:10 AM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I agree with you that since I don't track a large oil cooler is not needed. The stock radiator has plastic fittings, the cooler has aluminum. However, 2mm in diameter does not seem to me that it would make any real difference. In fact, restricters to slow the coolant flow are one way to increase heat transfer. and they would decrease flow much more than a 2mm reduction in diameter. I agree about having a water temp gauge, I am going to install one before I proceed. Already have a oil temp guage.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:26 AM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Oleg
B&M has a oil cooler available with a thermostat valve
http://www.prostreetonline.com/buy/b...il_cooler_kit/

This cooler is wrong. I ordered it and it isn't what's in the picture or description. They made a mistake. The real part # does not have a fan or thermostat and the cooler is about half the size as what it looks like in the picture. It's a small rectangle. So they're going to try to fix the description on their website

just a heads up...
Old 11-29-2005, 12:43 PM
arizzee

I've been installing a water temp sensor in the upper radiator hose so I took micrometer measurements of the radiator inlet and water pipe and can up with 1.37". I didn't measure the hose but I did use a 36mm temp sensor adapter and the hose made a snug fit - a little snugger than the hose on the radiator inlet but not too tight. Hope this helps.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:19 AM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I have both radiator hoses in front of me. Your measurment of 1.37 inches translates to 34.798 mm. I measure here just shy of 35 mm at one end (lower hose), and around 34 at the other. So I think that you are correct in your measurement.