Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

F-Spec TS reflash with Vortech?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 10:11 AM
g8tor20

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F-Spec TS reflash with Vortech?

Ok guys. I have a '05 G35 and I cannot stand this rattle at idle with the Vortech. Our cars should not make such a sound. It's embarrasing. So...I called Vortech and they can raise the idle to whatever I want...but it has to be the F-Spec (I already did the L-Spec).

Here is my question...Since I'm paying for the F-spec...what else should i get done. I read th etread about our stock maps conflicting with the SS Box maps and how we can have TS duplicate the SS map on all stock maps. Did I say that right? How would I say this to TS and have them understand it.

Anything wrong with raising the idle to like 900rpms?

What else should I get done while they have it. I have the SS Box tuned by CP race but I will be adding exhaust and maybe plenum spacer in the next week or so. I will be getting a re-tune locally. Should I wait until after the retune to send the unit in to have the maps copied?

I don't want TS messing with timing or fuel maps as mail order tuning isnt for me. I want the SS box to run flawlessly.

Lemme know...TIA
Old 11-03-2005, 11:32 AM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive never heard of any one doing that , but dont know why they couldnt . I would amagine you would have to send them your R4 file to copy the timing map . But make sure they know that what ever is in the map as far as timing goes .... is... 1.5 degree's more retard than thats on the map . Because of signal delay. And there is nothing wrong with raising idle to 900rpm
Old 11-03-2005, 12:31 PM
Mr_pharmD

cant u just tell TS to not mess with the timing and fuel map? Just raised the idle instead?
Old 11-03-2005, 12:37 PM
g8tor20

Originally Posted by Mr_pharmD
cant u just tell TS to not mess with the timing and fuel map? Just raised the idle instead?
Yes....but you still have to pay the F-spec. Yes...i dont want them touching the fuel or timing maps either. But read this thread to understand my question on the SS Box:

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction/149903-ecu-stabilization-question-colder-temps-arrive-in-fl.html
Old 11-03-2005, 01:17 PM
Gman2004

Since you are getting it retuned after you add the plenum and exhaust why not just get the UTEC for a couple hundred more? I think the UTEC will raise the idle and it will have a launch control feature.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:20 PM
Mr_pharmD

I understand that the ss box pulls timing but if u ask them not to touch your timing and fuel wouldn't it be just like getting the L-tune u have but with an increase in rpm idle? Isn't that all u really need and upgrading your L-tune to the F-spec shouldn't cost more than 200.

If you are worried about ecu stablizing, then u will have to go with an expensive fuel managment system like the the AEM system. AEM has the ability to adjust to climate change and elvation changes. But, bc not everyone can afford the AEM, the ss box or something like the AFC hack will have to do.

The only solution with climate changes on the ss box is to tune your car in the winter when the air is a lot denser so your a/f is already adjusted for the cold temps. Then when the temps warms up, your a/f will be alittle richer and a little slower. Or, u can just tune it conservatively and watch your wideband for any changes. Usually climate changes should only alter your a/f by ~0.5.

Last edited by Mr_pharmD; 11-03-2005 at 01:23 PM.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:22 PM
Gman2004

The UTEC has the ability to adjust to climate change as well.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:27 PM
Mr_pharmD

how much is the Utec? But for g8tor, I don't really think he needs one when FL weathers dont really get down to the 30s-40s in the winters but for those with seasonal weathers, Utec might be a must if u want to boost throughout the yr, lol.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:28 PM
Gman2004

Originally Posted by Mr_pharmD
how much is the Utec? But for g8tor, I don't really think he needs one when FL weathers dont really get down to the 30s-40s in the winters but for those with seasonal weathers, Utec might be a must if u want to boost throughout the yr, lol.
$949 plus $129 for the harness.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:28 PM
booger

If your wanting to have TS copy your SS timing map to the ECU....Im sure they can do it....Like I said , you would want to send them your R4 file and when they do it . You would have to set your SS timing map to...all zero's . So the SS isnt doing anything with the timing and it is being done in the ECU . Alot of the ATI guys have had there ECU's flashed for timng and fuel
Old 11-03-2005, 01:31 PM
Mr_pharmD

ouach, too rich for my blood. I'm alrady going to be down ~10g once everything is done with the ss box.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:36 PM
prescience

Just an hour ago, I got a response from TS to a series of questions I asked them. This is very very slightly off-topic in parts but I'll post the questions and replies below

>Are the reflashes specific to US models or is it good for European too? What info. if any do you need to determine this?
We have been working on the 2003 350Z ECU but we have not yet seen 2004 and up.

>Does the reflash reset all 3 maps in the ECU the same – I am concerned with the Vortech about timing being changed if a different map than I tuned with is selected by the ECU e.g. when weather changes.
We set all 3 maps same do it doesn't use high advanced ignition map.

>Will I need an immediate retune with the Vortech SplitSec box after reflash – I’m guessing so
This is up to you.
We can lock your Ignition map but if your car is running good with piggyback right now we don't have to change the maps for fuel and timing.

>What would turnaround time be from here in the UK.
We ship the ECU back out in same day, If the payment went through without problem.

>Is the motor really strong enough to redline at 7100 with the Vortech without a built motor?
With the boost application, motor revs very quickly and you hit rev limit more often.
Hitting rev is more problem than spinning motor to 7100rpm.

Think this 500rpm extra as a safety margin.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:03 PM
prescience

Just a quick question on the last point in my post above. How does the stock map in the SS box handle a redline at 7100 (fuelwise) I know it pulls like 15degs of timing.