Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Change MAF from blow through to pull through

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 08:44 AM
g356gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Change MAF from blow through to pull through

I wanted to get peoples thoughts on switching the MAF location on the single turbo kits from blow through to pull through design. It would actually be much easier to do with a t-netics, vortech, etc. JWT will be using this method on the new TT kit it is releasing. Any thoughts?
Old 11-07-2005, 06:35 PM
overZealous1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all i know is that i called jwt asking them a question and they all but laughed at me for having a blow through and not a draw through system, hahaha. tomato/tamato. i would assume a draw through system to be better (not exactly sure why) but i also feel you would loose the benefits of the intake air temp circuit also, as those figures would no longer be true. it may give the air intake more volume or better flow, but i couldn't imagine it to be by much at all. alot of carb set-ups are draw through, but that just helps in fuel atomizing, which means nothing as far as port fuel injection goes. who the hell knows really. i guess i now have the same question, lol.
i feel all i contributed was more confusion, hahaha.

wait one minute, i almost hit the post button, but have it figured out. it would be better for using a bov vented atmospherically if it were a draw through system and not a blow through system. whew, glad i could be of help, hahhaa.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:05 PM
TurboTim
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by overZealous1
all i know is that i called jwt asking them a question and they all but laughed at me for having a blow through and not a draw through system, hahaha. tomato/tamato. i would assume a draw through system to be better (not exactly sure why) but i also feel you would loose the benefits of the intake air temp circuit also, as those figures would no longer be true. it may give the air intake more volume or better flow, but i couldn't imagine it to be by much at all. alot of carb set-ups are draw through, but that just helps in fuel atomizing, which means nothing as far as port fuel injection goes. who the hell knows really. i guess i now have the same question, lol.
i feel all i contributed was more confusion, hahaha.

wait one minute, i almost hit the post button, but have it figured out. it would be better for using a bov vented atmospherically if it were a draw through system and not a blow through system. whew, glad i could be of help, hahhaa.

Actually my friend it is the opposite.A blow through MAF set-up is better for venting to atmosphere(assuming your MAF is after your blow-off valve)because it is air that has not been metered yet.

On a draw through set-up you have already metered the air,now when it blows off to atmosphere, you are blowing air that has already been metered. This means the ECU has added fuel for that air but now the air is not there, so it runs really rich for a split second.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:24 AM
SoFl_G

The turbo buick people have been converting to blow through systems and have found improved throttle response, better fuel metering. Why step backward. The mass air sensor gets more accurate data with a blow through system.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:41 AM
overZealous1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TurboTim
Actually my friend it is the opposite.A blow through MAF set-up is better for venting to atmosphere(assuming your MAF is after your blow-off valve)because it is air that has not been metered yet.

On a draw through set-up you have already metered the air,now when it blows off to atmosphere, you are blowing air that has already been metered. This means the ECU has added fuel for that air but now the air is not there, so it runs really rich for a split second.

ok ok, i was drinkin', hahaha.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:46 AM
002-M-P

Yea, i have been reading some threads lately about blow through not as good as drawn though, but I really never got a hold on the exact benefits to this. g356gear, feel like giving a short explanation?