Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Is turboing a Z worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 05:59 AM
nexstage350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Enron Exec
After 12k miles in my APS TT and built motor, i still look forward to driving my car almost ever time i start her up. This of course was after 7 months of down time and a small fortune in mods/labor.
yeah right wayne! LOL
let me know if u need a loan LOL

all in all i rode in his car and it great!! and basically convince me that i will go FI really soon
Old 11-08-2005, 06:08 AM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally Posted by norapat01
Why don't you try Evo IX MR? see how you like it. If you after turbo power, it think it is one of the best platform....I know 'cause i also own an Evo VIII . Or if you can lay low for a bit, save those money and put it into a new GT-R that's gonna come out pretty soon.
Yeah but if the EVO just didn't look like well an EVO.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:16 AM
roncfpz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would think anytime you modify a car to double (or more) the whp there are likely to be "some" issues. Some of us have few and some have many. As mentioned before, to help minimize the issues (or magnitude thereof) get a good install AND a great tune.

That being said, take a ride in a "boosted" Z and you'll be bitten. It really transforms the car and you just can't wait to drive it again and again and again.

Good luck with your decision.
Ron
Old 11-08-2005, 09:22 AM
k3silk

Originally Posted by norapat01
Why don't you try Evo IX MR? see how you like it. If you after turbo power, it think it is one of the best platform....I know 'cause i also own an Evo VIII . Or if you can lay low for a bit, save those money and put it into a new GT-R that's gonna come out pretty soon.
to be real I look at the evo's my girl was telling me to do that cause it comes with a turbo & can drive all year around but its not one of the best looking cars i have always had sprots cars or coupes and never really got into the 4 door thing so unless it was the MR which are priced pretty high i could not get an evo. and as for the GT-R thats going to be a $$$ i went to the nissan dealer to talk about it and many said that it would be around 35k-55k but i know damn well they were bull$hiting me.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:38 AM
paranormal
Evil Boy 4 LIFE

def worth it....every cent! and every issue...
Old 11-08-2005, 07:19 PM
norapat01

yeah, i know the Evo doesn't look good in most people idea. Anyway, turbocharging a Z I think would worth the money. The stock engine Hp & Torque is not bad already, so...with turbo those figures would increase significantly . But, you know just like the other guy said, when you are doubling those power figures...there will always be some issues sooner or later.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:45 PM
k3silk

yeah your right but i think im going to have to take a chance with the 350z but if i come across a clean supra i will pick that up.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:51 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by westpak
I love giving rides, there is nothing like the ear to ear grin people get out of the car with, this is after the nervous laugh when they get slammed to the seat the first time you hit boost, it is like a kid on their first rollercoaster ride.
Just make sure they bring a change of shorts.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:01 PM
spdkils

For me... Thus far it has been worth it.

I did the install myself, and I still have some outstanding issues. (It smokes too much for my taste, but i"m not overly concerned.)

Now I've got traction issues, and yadda yadda. Hind site is always 20/20.

Overall... After 3000 miles I've had/have 2 problems with the turbo.

1) Too much smoke for my liking (only under load)
2) I had a small colant leak, that I fixed.

Now the install was nerve wraking, but it saved me a ton of change, and the new ATS clutch is a bit rough on the engange, and the Quaife has been a nightmare, the RaceLogic had me guessing, wiring the EU harness was a PITA, I've got 4 scares from the install... (I could go on and on)

But really... If you want to make a 400+WHP Z, you've got to break some eggs.

And my car is Hella fast... (Due to everyones traction issues... We're all probably near the same.... To a point.)
Old 11-10-2005, 05:02 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

No traction issues here!
Old 11-10-2005, 05:25 AM
down_shift

+1 all you need is a ride and then you wont need to ask the question, the only question is when can I get it installed?

I was being very patient with the waiting and all for a full build, after I rode in a friend's TN Z.. Next week I had my TN kit ordered
Old 11-10-2005, 06:40 AM
hypeiv

Yeah but if the EVO just didn't look like well an EVO.
+1 thats why I am going crazy for that Ralliart Eclipse concept... too bad the chances of that thing really coming out are slim to none...
Old 11-10-2005, 06:59 AM
PoWeRtRiP

imo i think that turboing the z is not worth the amount of time, money, and concern over it breaking tht the average consumer will spend. i would suggest getting a car that is more conducive to boost, i.e. supra, 300zx, any 4g63, etc...and make the z a daily driver. it would be cheaper to buy many of these cars used and mod them heavily than it is to make the z handle a turbo kit and build the motor reliably.

my .02
Old 11-10-2005, 07:09 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by PoWeRtRiP
imo i think that turboing the z is not worth the amount of time, money, and concern over it breaking tht the average consumer will spend. i would suggest getting a car that is more conducive to boost, i.e. supra, 300zx, any 4g63, etc...and make the z a daily driver. it would be cheaper to buy many of these cars used and mod them heavily than it is to make the z handle a turbo kit and build the motor reliably.

my .02
[sarcasm]My car, that cost me less than 40 grand total and outperforms 95% of cars on the road and hasn't given me a single problem definitely wasn't worth it.[/sarcasm]

Turbo Z's are plenty reliable if done RIGHT. Besides....supras are dyno queens (try getting a supra with 500whp to make useful power belew 4000rpms), 300ZXs require you to pull the motor to swap turbos and modded 4G63 cars (DSMs and EVOs) are a dime a dozen...
Old 11-10-2005, 07:20 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

It really depends on your personal goals. If all you want is the fastest 1/4 car, there are numerous domestics that will get the job done. My buddies spend $3000 on their 91 mustangs and run 10's.

There are so many intangibles when it comes to modding the Z. Sheer power is just one element. The Z, IMHO is the most stunning Japanese sports car currently on the market, and it kills most domestics and imports in terms of look, style and feel. My car gets more looks than any Porsche, Corvette, etc... And its one of the few car's that actually pretty darn good, even totally stock.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:27 AM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
[sarcasm]My car, that cost me less than 40 grand total and outperforms 95% of cars on the road and hasn't given me a single problem definitely wasn't worth it.[/sarcasm]

Turbo Z's are plenty reliable if done RIGHT. Besides....supras are dyno queens (try getting a supra with 500whp to make useful power belew 4000rpms), 300ZXs require you to pull the motor to swap turbos and modded 4G63 cars (DSMs and EVOs) are a dime a dozen...

Plus 1. Plus when getting a Supra/300ZX you are looking at at least a 9 year old car most in the 12 year range and then yo uhave to deal with maintenance and age related issues you don't have with a newer 350Z.

Also have you checked out what a low mileage great condition Supra goes for try in the 30k range, not much cheaper for sure and still an older car.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:46 AM
PoWeRtRiP

Plus 1. Plus when getting a Supra/300ZX you are looking at at least a 9 year old car most in the 12 year range and then yo uhave to deal with maintenance and age related issues you don't have with a newer 350Z.

Also have you checked out what a low mileage great condition Supra goes for try in the 30k range, not much cheaper for sure and still an older car.
oh i know, those resales on the supras are crazy. it just seems to me that the majority of the people that look into turboing the z dont initially realize its gonna cost a lot of money to do it right. many on this board have spent in excess of 10-15k in turbo, accessories, rebuilt engine, etc...

just wanted to give them my honest opinion.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:51 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by PoWeRtRiP
oh i know, those resales on the supras are crazy. it just seems to me that the majority of the people that look into turboing the z dont initially realize its gonna cost a lot of money to do it right. many on this board have spent in excess of 10-15k in turbo, accessories, rebuilt engine, etc...

just wanted to give them my honest opinion.
Um...people seem to be under the misconception that modding a Supra is cheap. Done right, it's nearly as expensive as modding a 350Z. Although the stock block "Can" be good for 800whp, most sane people will rebuild the bottom end as well...beyond 600whp or so. You still have the cost of turbo upgrades, cams, headwork, fuel system, wheels, tires, suspension, brakes..etc..etc..etc. You might save a little in comparo to a Z, but its not a bargain by any means, either.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:59 AM
barthelb
Master

Its not a bargain but it is cheaper, i guess if you do it yourself its a whole lot cheaper. I have a friend that I run into at the drag strip. He's got a 97 i guess, Red Supra. He actually told us this yesterday, he has 640whp stock block, T42 turbo. The thing is HUGE, and some boost controller, methanol injection, 4" all the way out and i think thats it. And that cost according to him, 5600 bucks. Not cheap but a lil less than our Z's. But the cars been out for 10yrs. Z isn't half way there yet. They Dyno queen comment was true he sees full boost at around 4800, he said the car would step out too much and the best he ran was a 12.1. He's trying to hit 11's like me and we always seem to not get there for whatever reason.

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Um...people seem to be under the misconception that modding a Supra is cheap. Done right, it's nearly as expensive as modding a 350Z. Although the stock block "Can" be good for 800whp, most sane people will rebuild the bottom end as well...beyond 600whp or so. You still have the cost of turbo upgrades, cams, headwork, fuel system, wheels, tires, suspension, brakes..etc..etc..etc. You might save a little in comparo to a Z, but its not a bargain by any means, either.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:17 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by barthelb
Its not a bargain but it is cheaper, i guess if you do it yourself its a whole lot cheaper. I have a friend that I run into at the drag strip. He's got a 97 i guess, Red Supra. He actually told us this yesterday, he has 640whp stock block, T42 turbo. The thing is HUGE, and some boost controller, methanol injection, 4" all the way out and i think thats it. And that cost according to him, 5600 bucks. Not cheap but a lil less than our Z's. But the cars been out for 10yrs. Z isn't half way there yet. They Dyno queen comment was true he sees full boost at around 4800, he said the car would step out too much and the best he ran was a 12.1. He's trying to hit 11's like me and we always seem to not get there for whatever reason.
Ah...640rwhp supras that can't even get into the 11s...seems about right. Danm power comes on too hard when it finally spools and the powerband is short.

He's leaving out fuel system and engine management upgrades...he'd need those to make that kind of power.

Quick Reply: Is turboing a Z worth it?