Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Is turboing a Z worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 10:39 AM
k3silk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is turboing a Z worth it?

i have been reading alot of storys and it seems to me like many people are having some type of issues with turboing there z. I was planning on getting a Z on jan 2 and buying a turbonics kit the same day and have AAM put it on but after reading many post im not sure it is worht it now. I recently owned a fully built GSR which i did most of the work my self except the tunning of the turbo and i didnt have many major problems. Only after i built the motor with over heating problems but other then that it was fine. The reason i sold it cause i wanted another car and start with a new and nice platform so for you turbo guys out there what do you think about your car after the turbo and were the problems worth it. I know for me owning a turbo integra every other week it was something little ****ing up and it got old quick. do you feel the same im just not trying to fall in this trap again because if so i may just wait and look for the supra.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:35 AM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you haven't yet, find one and drive a turbo'd Z and the ask that question. Even with all the B.S., yeah, it's worth it.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:35 AM
D350Z10

Hell yea A Turbo Z is UNSTOPABLE!!!!!
Old 11-07-2005, 12:16 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally Posted by kcobean
If you haven't yet, find one and drive a turbo'd Z and the ask that question. Even with all the B.S., yeah, it's worth it.
+1 all you need is a ride and then you wont need to ask the question, the only question is when can I get it installed?
Old 11-07-2005, 12:17 PM
g356gear

Originally Posted by D350Z10
Hell yea A Turbo Z is UNSTOPABLE!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YEAH!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-07-2005, 12:42 PM
JETPILOT

I'll let you know Thursday. I'm getting my Turbonetics kit installed tomorrow.

Respect
JET
Old 11-07-2005, 01:10 PM
Jaki

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It really depends on your patience with the car and how many issues you have... there have been people with relatively few issues, and then there have been people, like one member said (I forgot who) "another week, another problem." I've had a few minor issues that took some time to find, but now every time I drive the car. it puts a big smile on my face, and I forget about any little issue that had come up. So to me its worth it.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:46 PM
barthelb
Master

I don't mean to upset anyone or offend, but i think the install is about 90% of all problems and 10% the product. APS's kit is good not perfect. Some problems are avoidable if you are knowledgable about Turbo systems, Z cars and engines in general.

I luckily have had 0 issues other than the random misfire code which comes up 1 every 2months and my exhaust cracking from bottoming out(nothing to do with turbo kit). I just watch my oil level cuz the Z burns oil to begin with. Then you apply this much more heat and stress and its only logical it will continue to burn if not more.

There are some defects tho, so its a slight gamble but well worth it. I think the Z's that have hardly any mechanical problems n/a will continue the same way when FI'd. Hope that makes sense.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:46 PM
captj3

one ride and you'll ask do you take credit cards. And how fast can you install it. Oh one other thing you might not like your car to much after the ride IE it's not fast enough.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:47 PM
k3silk

hey if your ever in the rockville area could you hit me up and give me a ride yorur turbo z i just drove a tt supra and it was pretty impressive much diffrent from my turbo integra so much more tq it felt real nice now if someone in the MD area would give me a ride i could finally decide to take a chance and get the Z to hope with no or few problems with the turbo install.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:48 PM
BamBam

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by westpak
+1 all you need is a ride and then you wont need to ask the question, the only question is when can I get it installed?
+2

Kcobean & West have it down. You need to ride in a mostly stock Z and then a modified Z. I think from there if you are not impressed with the difference then it is not going to be what you are looking for. You already know the Turbo mod is a big step and of course there will be some things that will need to readdressed/repaired over time with the turbo setup. If you get it done right and tuned right (VERY important) then you should have no more problems then any typical non OEM setup on any car.

I love mine and am trying to find ways to offset the heat issues and make it go faster still
Old 11-07-2005, 01:54 PM
Enron Exec

After 12k miles in my APS TT and built motor, i still look forward to driving my car almost ever time i start her up. This of course was after 7 months of down time and a small fortune in mods/labor.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:11 PM
BamBam

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by k3silk
hey if your ever in the rockville area could you hit me up and give me a ride yorur turbo z i just drove a tt supra and it was pretty impressive much diffrent from my turbo integra so much more tq it felt real nice now if someone in the MD area would give me a ride i could finally decide to take a chance and get the Z to hope with no or few problems with the turbo install.
You just missed me with AAM Sunday. I will be at AAM this Friday morning if you want a quick ride....
But seriously, I have just dropped my car off with them Sunday night for a couple of fixes, enhancements and polishing for a show. If you have the time and are interested, swing by AAM and ask Mike/Dave if you can see my car. Mine is the one with the tacky graphics all over it…..
As for the ride, well, I expect I will be back in the MD area around the 20th to do the MIR Test & Tune day. I also know there are a few people in MD that have turbos (single & twins). Heck, Mike at AAM has one. Ask him for a ride….
Old 11-07-2005, 02:20 PM
westpak
SFZCC

I love giving rides, there is nothing like the ear to ear grin people get out of the car with, this is after the nervous laugh when they get slammed to the seat the first time you hit boost, it is like a kid on their first rollercoaster ride.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:33 PM
kjbalto

Damn it you guys are teasing the hell out of me!! I'm dying for a kit but I'm holding out for the JWT kit. Is there anybody in NY that wants to meet up with me and give me a ride in their turbo Z or G????
Old 11-07-2005, 04:46 PM
kcobean

Originally Posted by westpak
I love giving rides, there is nothing like the ear to ear grin people get out of the car with, this is after the nervous laugh when they get slammed to the seat the first time you hit boost, it is like a kid on their first rollercoaster ride.
+1. It's like being the guy at the amusement park that pushes the big red button that launches the coaster into the tunnel. . I just wish I had more traction. It would make the effect even more dramatic.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:47 PM
MIAPLAYA

+1. It's like being the guy at the amusement park that pushes the big red button that launches the coaster into the tunnel. . I just wish I had more traction. It would make the effect even more dramatic.
Hmm well you could just power slide out of the driveway from a mild clutch dump at 2500...that would have a nice effect...done that once or twice myself
Old 11-07-2005, 11:25 PM
redline350ZZ

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Hmm well you could just power slide out of the driveway from a mild clutch dump at 2500...that would have a nice effect...done that once or twice myself

MIA if you go to Jail you wont be able to help us..LOL
Old 11-07-2005, 11:31 PM
k3silk

Originally Posted by BamBam
+2

Kcobean & West have it down. You need to ride in a mostly stock Z and then a modified Z. I think from there if you are not impressed with the difference then it is not going to be what you are looking for. You already know the Turbo mod is a big step and of course there will be some things that will need to readdressed/repaired over time with the turbo setup. If you get it done right and tuned right (VERY important) then you should have no more problems then any typical non OEM setup on any car.

I love mine and am trying to find ways to offset the heat issues and make it go faster still
my dad has a z and it slow as hell i would kill him all the time when he wanted to race so i know how stock z feel i just need to feel it turbo. not knocking anyone with a stock z. just need a lil more power
Old 11-07-2005, 11:45 PM
norapat01

Why don't you try Evo IX MR? see how you like it. If you after turbo power, it think it is one of the best platform....I know 'cause i also own an Evo VIII . Or if you can lay low for a bit, save those money and put it into a new GT-R that's gonna come out pretty soon.

Quick Reply: Is turboing a Z worth it?