Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Turbonetics Detonating on 93 Octane

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 08:27 AM
nissansource

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

change plugs NGK one step colder Nissan 350Z part number "LFR6AIX-11" stock number 6619.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:59 AM
MIAPLAYA

Well if that exhaust leans the AFR 2 whole points I'm impressed to say the least. Intense Motorsports runs a 3" JIC and they dont ping at all. Could be a fouled plug too.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:42 PM
Git-R-Done

Originally Posted by nissansource
False
Wrong...By the time you "audibly" hear detonation it is already acting like a grown man with a 10lb sledghammer hitting your pistons. Therefore causing damage to the pistons,bearings,ringlands,and rods.It may be small dammage that has no catostrophic failure,but it is none the less damaging your motor.So I suggest you go back to DEVRY and educate yourself on the harmful effects of detonation.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:46 PM
Git-R-Done

This just confirms to me that a reflash is a **** poor way to tune a F/I car with a N/A set up. I cant see how a cookie cutter non tunable ECU reflash is a good idea at 400hp.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:04 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by Git-R-Done
This just confirms to me that a reflash is a **** poor way to tune a F/I car with a N/A set up. I cant see how a cookie cutter non tunable ECU reflash is a good idea at 400hp.
Its not if you start tinkering and plan to go higher but for an out of box solution there is nothng wrong with it. There are 100s of kits with a flash being used for tuning and very few have issues with them. Once you start turning up the boost or messing with the initial setup out of box of course things are going to change and a tune is needed. But runing the flash for out of box stuff is not bad. I have over 13k miles on my car on the flash and never had an issue even after adding my Apexi WS2 exhaust and a Motordyne spacer. Tons of users who have done the same.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:11 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I agree.

Not that the TN setup is bad, just that they seemed to try and make it too plug and play. Going FI should require a custom tune. I just think it is false hope to believe that a single standard tune is safe for everyone that buys a kit.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:14 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by Zivman
I agree.

Not that the TN setup is bad, just that they seemed to try and make it too plug and play. Going FI should require a custom tune. I just think it is false hope to believe that a single standard tune is safe for everyone that buys a kit.
Well of course not EVERY single car is the same. But the flash works for 95% of the cars without issue. There have been 2 people who installed the kit and had the car run lean including DBZ33 as one of them. JetPilot would be the other now with the exhaust of course we dont even know his AFR yet. As long as there is no MAJOR mods to the car to lean it out the flash will work. Once you start messing with it though such as raising boost or adding essentially a straight pipe exhaust of course things are going to change.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:21 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by Zivman
I agree.

That's why they make a tuner kit.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:22 PM
rocketdog

I would pull the spark plugs. The insulators should be light tan. And, check for electrode damage "getting smaller". I bet it's just raspy sound from not big enough resonators on the exhaust system. My Fugi exhaust with JIC-Y pipe, headers and high flow cats sounds like I'm spitting BBs out my exhaust.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:24 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's likely the 3" straight through twin muffler exhaust caused an increase in boost. I will have it on the dyno this weekend to confirm this. The increase in boost is likely what casued this detonation.

Respect
JET

Last edited by JETPILOT; 12-01-2005 at 01:32 PM.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:25 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
It's likely the 3" straight through twin myffler exhaust caused an increase in boost. I will have it on the dyno this weekend to confirm this. The increase in boost is likely what casued this detonation.

Respect
JET
Do you have a boost gauge?
Old 12-01-2005, 01:33 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haven't hooked it up yet.

Respect
JET
Old 12-01-2005, 01:35 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
Haven't hooked it up yet.

Respect
JET
Ouch...
Old 12-01-2005, 02:58 PM
nissansource

Wrong...By the time you "audibly" hear detonation it is already acting like a grown man with a 10lb sledghammer hitting your pistons. Therefore causing damage to the pistons,bearings,ringlands,and rods.It may be small dammage that has no catostrophic failure,but it is none the less damaging your motor.So I suggest you go back to DEVRY and educate yourself on the harmful effects of detonation.

There is all sorts of detenation from small to big. I dont need to get in a pissing contest with you.... By the way who needs devry??? home grown buddy.... And run a succesfull business in the performance industry

Last edited by nissansource; 12-01-2005 at 03:02 PM.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:59 PM
nissansource

This reflash seems to work wonders of over 100 cars
pretty good for a cookie cutter flash. JWT is a perfect example of cookie cutter. Hell my GTIR 200SX SE-R made 475 on a donkey T3/T4 from a JOHN DEER with a cookie cutter tune

Last edited by nissansource; 12-01-2005 at 03:04 PM.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:05 PM
nissansource

Hell i should buy into TS flash program and start tuning myself i think buyin is 4k
Old 12-01-2005, 05:34 PM
onyx350z

This may be a newbie question, but I am probaly going with the T-netics set up and would like to know the best way I can avoid a problem like this. I know there is always a chance something can go wrong, but what are some precautions I can take?
Like an E-Manage, proper boost, A/F ratio gauges??? I was considering going with a 3" exhaust, is this a bad idea or should I stick with my Borla TD? Thanks.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:40 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by onyx350z
This may be a newbie question, but I am probaly going with the T-netics set up and would like to know the best way I can avoid a problem like this. I know there is always a chance something can go wrong, but what are some precautions I can take?
Like an E-Manage, proper boost, A/F ratio gauges??? I was considering going with a 3" exhaust, is this a bad idea or should I stick with my Borla TD? Thanks.
Your Borla should be fine. There are at LEAST 4 cars with the Turbonetics kit installed with a modified Borla exhaust and they are all making great power at very safe AFRs.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:44 PM
onyx350z

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Your Borla should be fine. There are at LEAST 4 cars with the Turbonetics kit installed with a modified Borla exhaust and they are all making great power at very safe AFRs.

What modifications must be made to the Borla? My other question, does a piggy back help prevent things like detonation?

Last edited by onyx350z; 12-01-2005 at 05:48 PM.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:45 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by onyx350z
What modifications must be made to the Borla? My other question, does a piggy back help prevent things like denotation?
It can with proper tuning. The Borla just needs to have a reverse y pipe fabbed up for it. Any exhaust shop can do this.

Quick Reply: Turbonetics Detonating on 93 Octane