Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Turbonetics Detonating on 93 Octane

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 12:04 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, you'd think so....my exhaust is a GReddy EVO2 with the same reverse-Y pipe design...here's a picture:

Old 12-05-2005, 12:10 PM
MIAPLAYA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All having boost increase...If you get a chance or are able too...could you hook your boost gauge temporarily to the wastegate boost signal input line. It should be reading 9 PSI.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:15 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

WTF-you cant drive below 1/4 tank with the Turbonetics kit? I thought the only early AAM fuel systems had issues with picking up gas when low. I always drive with 1/2 or less unless Im going somewhere.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:20 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by Alberto
WTF-you cant drive below 1/4 tank with the Turbonetics kit? I thought the only early AAM fuel systems had issues with picking up gas when low. I always drive with 1/2 or less unless Im going somewhere.
Yes you can. But driving around with the gas light on and going full boost is not what I consider a good idea...
Old 12-05-2005, 12:39 PM
nissansource

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Yes you can. But driving around with the gas light on and going full boost is not what I consider a good idea...

=) hahaha
Old 12-05-2005, 01:39 PM
kcobean

Originally Posted by Alberto
Hey Alberto,
I'm usually ok down to around 1/8th tank, but I've had a few hiccups in moderate/hard right hand turns below this. I think this is because the pump is on the right side of the car, but don't know for sure.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:45 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
The boost isn't spiking. It's holding steady @ 11.5 PSI.

Respect
JET
Jet, please be really careful. The reason your car is detonating is becuase you are boosting much more than the TN is tuned for. It is designed to run roughly 8.5-9.5psi of boost. At a steady 11.5psi, you are certainly running dangerously lean, and this is the cause of the detonation.

As you know, Kelly is also dealing with the overboost problem as well, but I would avoid driving the car at WOT until you get the overboost problem rectified.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:50 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Kelly-that happens to the stock Z for reasons you described, Im fine with that. I guess I should have asked if a T-netics Z exhibited the same problem on hard right turns or had a worse issue. Thanks for clarifying guys...
Old 12-05-2005, 04:44 PM
Peking

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Jet, please be really careful. The reason your car is detonating is becuase you are boosting much more than the TN is tuned for. It is designed to run roughly 8.5-9.5psi of boost. At a steady 11.5psi, you are certainly running dangerously lean, and this is the cause of the detonation.

As you know, Kelly is also dealing with the overboost problem as well, but I would avoid driving the car at WOT until you get the overboost problem rectified.
Geez no kidding, also could explain why he feels the car is better when on 100 octane.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:42 PM
JETPILOT

Well..... the answer is an obvious one no one thought of. The Evolution wastegate is only good for, the TN site says, for 400+ flywheel horespower. I spoke to friend @ Central Florida Turbo today who is a Turbonetics dealer and builds some pretty sick cars and he told me that the gate is already flowing 100% and should be replaced with one of the larger wastegates like the Nexgen, or the Race Gate. If the gate can't flow enough it can't relieve enough pressure and continues to build boost.

My car dyno'd @ 8psi @ 421 flywheel horespower (366 + 15%). With the new exhaust it will likely make about 35 more flywheel hp without the increaes in boost which brings me to about 456 fly hp. More than the evolution gate is rated for.

I called TN and they say the system was designed around the stock exhaust.

Thanks for the word of caution Sharif. I'm not boosting at all until I can get the wastegate replaced.

Respect
JET

Last edited by JETPILOT; 12-05-2005 at 07:49 PM.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:47 PM
Peking

Well..... the answer is an obvious one no one thought of. The evolution wastegate is only good for, the TN site says. for 400+ flywheel horespower. I spoke to friend @ Central Florida Turbo today who is a Turbonetics dealer and builds some pretty sick cars and he told me that the gate is already flowing 100% and should be replaced with one of the larger wastegates like the Nexgen, or the Race Gate. If the gate can't flow enough it can't relieve enough pressure and continues to build boost.

I called TN and the ysay the system was designed around the stock exhaust.

Thanks for the word of caution Sharif. I'm not boosting at all until I can get the wastegate replaced.

Respect
JET
Ummm JET, the Evolution is for up to 500 WHP. When you are well over 500 WHP then considering a more powerful wastegate is needed... If needed. And that is straight from Turbonetics site.

Maybe your friend was confused with a different wastegate, which I guess could have been the Deltagate. Which seems to be good for up to 400 WHP.

Last edited by Peking; 12-05-2005 at 07:51 PM.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:51 PM
JETPILOT

Per the TN website under description EVO wastegate.

The new Turbonetics Evolution redefines performance for external mounted boost control. Utilizing the latest technology in flow design and materials, the Evolution features an investment cast 304 stainless body designed with computer flow analysis. "Nitronic 60" stainless steel one-piece valve, and polished aluminum billet cap. Nearly 25% smaller than the Deltagate, it is sized to fit into the tightest turbo systems. Fitted with a rolling type diaphragm and floating valve seat, it is equipped to comfortably handle 400+ HP and out flows the competition by almost 20%

Those numbers are FLYWHEEL HP. Not wheel.

Respect
JET
Old 12-05-2005, 07:57 PM
Peking

Per the TN website under description EVO wastegate.

The new Turbonetics Evolution redefines performance for external mounted boost control. Utilizing the latest technology in flow design and materials, the Evolution features an investment cast 304 stainless body designed with computer flow analysis. "Nitronic 60" stainless steel one-piece valve, and polished aluminum billet cap. Nearly 25% smaller than the Deltagate, it is sized to fit into the tightest turbo systems. Fitted with a rolling type diaphragm and floating valve seat, it is equipped to comfortably handle 400+ HP and out flows the competition by almost 20%

Those numbers are FLYWHEEL HP. Not wheel.

Respect
JET
Ummm JET, it clearly states "400+HP"... Which means "and more". You would atleast need to put down around 460 WHP to even be concerned.

For up to 500 HP the Evolution is the perfect wastegate for high-flow and compact placement.

http://www.turboneticsinc.com/valves_gateoverview.htm
Old 12-05-2005, 08:02 PM
JETPILOT

NO offense here..... but this guy at CFT makes 7 second motors. He knows TN, and had a TN Evo wg in his hand during our conversation. He asked.... "what wg do you have?" I replied the Evo.... he replied.... "well thats the problem. the Evo is good up to about 400 FLYWHEEL HORESPOWER.

He asked.... is your boost creeping as rpm increases? I said yes.... he said as RPM builds so does the pressure, and so will the boost since the wg is full open.

Can you show me somewhere on the TN site where it mentions rwhp?????

Respect
JET
Old 12-05-2005, 08:09 PM
Peking

NO offense here..... but this guy at CFT makes 7 second motors. He knows TN, and had a TN Evo wg in his hand during our conversation. He asked.... "what wg do you have?" I replied the Evo.... he replied.... "well thats the problem. the Evo is good up to about 400 FLYWHEEL HORESPOWER.
He asked.... is your boost creeping as rpm increases? I said yes.... he said as RPM builds so does the pressure, and so will the boost since the wg is full open.
Can you show me somewhere on the TN site where it mentions rwhp?????
Respect
JET
No offense right back at ya, met tons of people who can brag about what they built. Along with their reputations, or have their friends (groupies) telling me about what they can do or know.

Trust me, not trying to knock. But I also know from experience that just from those things alone don't make them a expert of every single thing. Most of them just like to talk like they are, while downing others... So I pretty much don't take it to heart, if at all with a grain of salt really.

The link shows HP that I posted as well the quote, WHP is usually 30-40 WHP lower (though that is very debatable, all just kinda depends).

It is your money and your car... I say go ahead, get another wastegate and let us know

Only thing is to me, that your issue is rare compared to the majority of us who use that specific wastegate... And in some of our set-ups more power without any issues with the boost.

Last edited by Peking; 12-05-2005 at 08:11 PM.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:11 PM
JETPILOT

Yeah.... and brain surgeons aren't experts on the neurologial system too.

I'm all ears.... make a better suggestion.

Respect
JET
Old 12-05-2005, 08:12 PM
Peking

Yeah.... and brain surgeons aren't experts on the neurologial system too.

Respect
JET
Well now you are just comparing apples to oranges... I was trying to be nice and civil but you will be pushing it. Please don't insult me, I wasn't trying to do that to you.

I suggest you read my posts again, without getting defensive about your friend opinion (or in your feeling, expert opinion).

Last edited by Peking; 12-05-2005 at 08:15 PM.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:15 PM
JETPILOT

if you make more power than you won't have to use as much capacity of the waste gates potential as someone who want's to make less power...think about it. I need to dump more exhaust to make less power.... hence a bigger waste gate.

Respect
JET
Old 12-05-2005, 08:17 PM
Peking

if you make more power than you won't have to use as much capacity of the waste gates potential as someone who want's to make less power...think about it. I need to dump more exhaust to make less power.... hence a bigger waste gate.

Respect
JET

Once again read my posts, clearly it is your car and your money... Good luck
Old 12-05-2005, 08:20 PM
JETPILOT

Well... I've clearly stated the facts.... and you can't argue fact.

More wastegate to make less power.

Respect
JET

Quick Reply: Turbonetics Detonating on 93 Octane