Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

My Turbonetics Lean Dyno Runs

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005 | 09:10 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by Alberto
Awesome I was just thinking "I hope my car with a crank pulley, plenum and 3" exhaust doesnt run lean." So you are saying that TN will reflash your ecu again if your original tune is dangerous lean even with mods? I would hope so because like I said, most do have exhaust and other mods and are fine on the original reflash.
Absoultely...if the flash you get has a problem Turbonetics will reflash the ECU again without questions. it has never been any other way. I have a Apexi WS2 exhaust and have never had my car run lean. There are COUNTLESS others including Z phat Z, Phatmitzu, taurran, Intense Motorsports, ryans350z, kcobean, peking, xxlluv2eat, 35ounces, etc etc whos AFR is RETARDED rich no matter what mods are on the car. (Except for cams of course)
Old 12-01-2005 | 09:16 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner
Premier Member

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Absoultely...if the flash you get has a problem Turbonetics will reflash the ECU again without questions. it has never been any other way. I have a Apexi WS2 exhaust and have never had my car run lean. There are COUNTLESS others including Z phat Z, Phatmitzu, taurran, Intense Motorsports, ryans350z, kcobean, peking, xxlluv2eat, 35ounces, etc etc whos AFR is RETARDED rich no matter what mods are on the car. (Except for cams of course)
Dont forget Laww who has a very free flowing mod'd Borla TD, plenum spacer, and a crank pulley. Thanks for the info, very good to know...
Old 12-01-2005 | 09:17 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by Alberto
Dont forget Laww who has a very free flowing mod'd Borla TD, plenum spacer, and a crank pulley. Thanks for the info, very good to know...
Yup.
Old 12-01-2005 | 09:24 AM
nissansource

BTW TN and TS along with AAM cannot program larger injectors then 380cc. do ya know if this is true? then alot of this makes sense to me
Old 12-01-2005 | 09:26 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by nissansource
BTW TN and TS along with AAM cannot program larger injectors then 380cc. do ya know if this is true? then alot of this makes sense to me
WRONG>> Technosquare can flash up to 750cc injectors. The reason Turbonetics uses 380ccs is they are the only injectors that size that will plug into the factory loom and bolt in with minimal spacers.
Old 12-01-2005 | 09:28 AM
nissansource

Sweet wonder if reggie will do a 750cc injector tune for my car
Old 12-01-2005 | 09:29 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by nissansource
Sweet wonder if reggie will do a 750cc injector tune for my car
They might....only he can asnwer that
Old 12-01-2005 | 09:39 AM
nissansource

true.... ill get to them once i finish this install of my pasanger intercooler pipe
Old 12-01-2005 | 10:08 AM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT
Premier Member

Actually my car is dead on at 11.5 but I am hitting 10psi. I imagine I would also be rich at 8-8.5psi.
Old 12-01-2005 | 11:13 AM
MIAPLAYA

One last thing to note...I would LOVE to see what a wideband plumbed into the car reads. From the dyno chart you are not lean for very long at all and barely above 12s. Is that good...of course not. But I'm curious what a wideband in the exhaust piping not on a tailpipe would show.
Old 12-01-2005 | 11:27 AM
zero2prove

Mia,

The wideband position for DB's car was in the dp not at the tail end of the exhaust. I do 99% of my dyno tuning with the wideband at the dp. At full boost there would be a slight difference in AFR readings between the 2 positions.

-Tuan
Old 12-01-2005 | 11:57 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by zero2prove
Mia,

The wideband position for DB's car was in the dp not at the tail end of the exhaust. I do 99% of my dyno tuning with the wideband at the dp. At full boost there would be a slight difference in AFR readings between the 2 positions.

-Tuan
OK well that was not known prior to now. If thats so then we are talking about a small area of it being lean in the 12s. I understand fuel pressure was deemed to be pointless. Why is that? IMHO if the fuel pressure is lower then its supposed to be then under given load amounts at full boost the injectors may not be running enough duty cycle for the lower fuel pressure. I noticed that in the higher end its goes back to rich. This is typically where Turbonetics has the injectors running the highest duty cycle. In the midrange it is not as high. Fuel pressure being to low sounds like a VERY valid thing to test. If you look at every other dyno chart the cars in the VERYlow 11s midrange and just after 4000 drop to mid to high 10s or EXTREMELY low 11s. This would be the same as this car except the AFR is a bit higher everywhere.
Old 12-01-2005 | 03:12 PM
zero2prove

Mia,

I can't see how measuring FP with the TN kit do us any good since I can't make any adjustment because of the way the kit was designed. Since the car goes back into the 11's AFR by redline I don't see his problem being a faulty pump. Also, if you look at the chart the car also runs rich at 2000 RPMS when he's only making 1-2psi of boost.

Best regards,

Tuan Nguyen
Old 12-01-2005 | 03:14 PM
tekk

im debating going TN ST for my G, but this thread is somewhat worrying.
to what extent could his exhaust be causing the lean condition?
my car's powertrain is completely stock, but i have no dyno where i am and would be installing on my own. going off of this thread, maybe i should reconsider..
Old 12-01-2005 | 03:29 PM
DBZ33

Thats what he told me. I have NEVER heard of Turbonetics refusing to reflash on ECU if there was a problem. I mean NEVER. If someone told you that you better believe I'll be letting Brad and Reggie know.

Mia, I did say forget the flash because TN told Tuan that there was nothing they could do to make the flash richer. They would reflash it but it wouldn't help the lean condition. They told him to put the stock exhaust and plenum back on. He tried it with the stock plenum and had the same problem. So I told him to forget the flash and I will wait for the UTEC and a fuel return system. I'm sorry if I confused anyone. There are just so many things going on in my head
Old 12-01-2005 | 03:31 PM
DBZ33

Originally Posted by tekk
im debating going TN ST for my G, but this thread is somewhat worrying.
to what extent could his exhaust be causing the lean condition?
my car's powertrain is completely stock, but i have no dyno where i am and would be installing on my own. going off of this thread, maybe i should reconsider..
The TN kit is fine. I am just one person who had bad luck with it. There are many people who have had no problems with the kit. I would say buy it.
Old 12-01-2005 | 03:33 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by zero2prove
Mia,

I can't see how measuring FP with the TN kit do us any good since I can't make any adjustment because of the way the kit was designed. Since the car goes back into the 11's AFR by redline I don't see his problem being a faulty pump. Also, if you look at the chart the car also runs rich at 2000 RPMS when he's only making 1-2psi of boost.

Best regards,

Tuan Nguyen
Because it would ensure that the fuel pressure regluator has been modified correctly. I can think of SEVERAL instances where this was not done right and it resulted in lower or higher fuel pressures. (At least 5 that I know of). I never said his fuel pump was faulty but if the fuel pressure is lets say 45 PSI instead of the 53-55 PSI it should be when modified correctly then under 1-2 PSI of boost I'm sure he wouldn't be lean. But under max boost at 4000 PSI where Turbonetics has not yet added as much pulse width as they would later on above 4500 which just so happens to be where he goes rich again. So if they are running a LOWER pulse width on LESS fuel pressure then there should be the car would show lean at that time but go rich again when the pulse width went greater. EVERY Turbonetics dynochart available shows the AFR going RETARDED rich after 4500 to keep the motor super rich under its long time under boost (from ~4200-6200) but earlier in the band from 3000-4200 its more near 11.5:1 or a little higher. How is this not valid?
Old 12-01-2005 | 03:38 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by DBZ33
Mia, I did say forget the flash because TN told Tuan that there was nothing they could do to make the flash richer. They would reflash it but it wouldn't help the lean condition. They told him to put the stock exhaust and plenum back on. He tried it with the stock plenum and had the same problem. So I told him to forget the flash and I will wait for the UTEC and a fuel return system. I'm sorry if I confused anyone. There are just so many things going on in my head
I understand now...completely reasonable to keep the new exhaust. By looking at your chart you are not THAT lean and only for a brief time. I'm not saying thats ok but it does seem like something else is amiss. You also mentioned that even with the Unichip Tuan was not able to keep the car in the 11s right? This would basically make the flash irrevelant and NOT the issue. There is no physical way those injectors are maxed out at 8 PSI of air. Its simply not possible. That means one of two things is amiss. the fuel pump is not supplying enough fuel or the fuel pressure regulator is not modified correctly and is causing low fuel pressure. If he ran the Unichip then obvioulsy its not a flash issue. Matter of fact didn't you say with the Unichip the midrange lean condition was fixed but the top end was lean? If so thats even more evidence thats theres a fuel delivery issue SOMEWHERE or it wouldnt be running out of fuel top end.
Old 12-01-2005 | 03:39 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by DBZ33
The TN kit is fine. I am just one person who had bad luck with it. There are many people who have had no problems with the kit. I would say buy it.
Well said.
Old 12-01-2005 | 03:39 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore
Premier Member

Because it would ensure that the fuel pressure regluator has been modified correctly. I can think of SEVERAL instances where this was not done right and it resulted in lower or higher fuel pressures. (At least 5 that I know of). I never said his fuel pump was faulty but if the fuel pressure is lets say 45 PSI instead of the 53-55 PSI it should be when modified correctly then under 1-2 PSI of boost I'm sure he wouldn't be lean. But under max boost at 4000 PSI where Turbonetics has not yet added as much pulse width as they would later on above 4500 which just so happens to be where he goes rich again. So if they are running a LOWER pulse width on LESS fuel pressure then there should be the car would show lean at that time but go rich again when the pulse width went greater. EVERY Turbonetics dynochart available shows the AFR going RETARDED rich after 4500 to keep the motor super rich under its long time under boost (from ~4200-6200) but earlier in the band from 3000-4200 its more near 11.5:1 or a little higher. How is this not valid?
It's not valid because fuel pressure doesn't vary by RPM at WOT. Low fuel pressure problems would be more prevalant in the higher rpms. Not the case in this situation.

Maybe he got a bad flash...

Quick Reply: My Turbonetics Lean Dyno Runs