Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Blown '05 w/TT going for 550whp now!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 05:19 PM
Gman2004

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry you had to experience this, but you car will be stronger and faster after the rebuild. Did you see my whip at SGP? Mark told me he would start working on it sometime next week.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:19 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best of luck...if you need any help...lemme know. It was nice talking with you on the phone the other day.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:35 PM
Jokestrap

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Best of luck...if you need any help...lemme know. It was nice talking with you on the phone the other day.
Thanks Sharif. All should be well. I have the small parts that fell out of the hole in my oil pan to remember this event by. All we know right now (until Monday) is that the rod snapped and started busting stuff up inside. No telling how bad it is. I drove the living h@#l out of the thing. It doesn't surprise me that it quit on me.

Thanks again and take care.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:37 PM
Jokestrap

Originally Posted by Gman2004
sorry you had to experience this, but you car will be stronger and faster after the rebuild. Did you see my whip at SGP? Mark told me he would start working on it sometime next week.
Really didn't pay attention to the other cars except to note that mine was sitting there looking good but down for the count, lol. I will look for it on Monday. Let you know.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:41 PM
Jokestrap

Originally Posted by paranormal
what exactly went wrong.. your scenerio loooks exactly like mine.. i was running around on 420rwhp beating the shiet out of it and the all the sudden one day "clank clank clank clank clank" ****! LOL ended up being a rod end bearing failure.. did you do the same or did you actually throw a rod?
I had parts and pieces literally falling out of the oil pan. I heard the "clank clank clank, and then I heard nothing but my sweet stereo lol... It just siezed up and shut down. You know when you don't have power steering, something isn't right!!!!!
Old 12-02-2005, 05:46 PM
Jokestrap

Originally Posted by Will Pwr
Might be a bit offtopic....

but since you have a 35th anniversay...hense the revup motor...

did you/your tuner having any issues with the engine mgmt tuning? and do you think that might have had an issue with your possible engine failure?

Im just trying to gauge the results on FI-ing a revup motor...

thanks

No issues with tuning, I just chose to go higher than the recommended whp that the tuner suggested for every day romping. 375-400whp is okay, but if you are going to rag on it like me at 420-450whp on stock internals, you are begging for trouble.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:36 PM
Gman2004

Originally Posted by Jokestrap
No issues with tuning, I just chose to go higher than the recommended whp that the tuner suggested for every day romping. 375-400whp is okay, but if you are going to rag on it like me at 420-450whp on stock internals, you are begging for trouble.

you sound like you drive your car like I drove mine. Everyone on this site says they dog their cars, but I doubt most people really flog them like they say. I would see 130mph at least twice day every day. A lot of people think taking it up to 100mph is giving it a beating......HUH!

Last edited by Gman2004; 12-02-2005 at 06:39 PM.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:27 PM
NISMOFO

I'm on stock internals with 9.5psi on an APS TT...you're making me scared!!! But then again, I don't drive my car like you..haha.

Once again, you have a sweeeeeeeeeeeeet looking car. I want to have my motor built at SGP but that's a lot of money.

Did they say how long your car will be there? I heard that you need to plan to be w/o your car for a few months if you're building your motor. Is this true?
Old 12-02-2005, 09:33 PM
Will Pwr

Thanks for the info..its much appreciated....

I have a good amount of experience with the HKS SC kit on the 287 motors, but am looking to do a turbo on a revup motor..so this is should give me some good food for though
Old 12-03-2005, 03:12 AM
Gman2004

Originally Posted by 350Track
Did they say how long your car will be there? I heard that you need to plan to be w/o your car for a few months if you're building your motor. Is this true?

Expect 6-8 weeks to have your motor built. SGP built mine in 7 weeks......rods, pistons, port and polish, everthing except sleeves and valves.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:39 AM
Jokestrap

Expect 6-8 weeks to have your motor built. SGP built mine in 7 weeks......rods, pistons, port and polish, everthing except sleeves and valves.

I am hoping for less but not expecting any less. Thanks
Old 12-03-2005, 05:41 AM
taurran

I'm planning on building the motor in early 07. Hopefully prices will be down a little by then.
Old 12-03-2005, 07:05 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

you sound like you drive your car like I drove mine. Everyone on this site says they dog their cars, but I doubt most people really flog them like they say. I would see 130mph at least twice day every day. A lot of people think taking it up to 100mph is giving it a beating......HUH!

LOL...I think only you and Phunk drive their cars "hard". I exceed 100mph-130mph maybe twice a week.....as I am scared of getting ARRESTED!!

But I do thrash on it through the first 3 gears very frequently...daily.
Old 12-03-2005, 07:15 AM
paranormal
Evil Boy 4 LIFE

gman i drove my car like you did.. haha i am only home from iraq a few weeks at a time.. and i would see 140mph plus 5 to 6 times a day haha.. i would go from new york to dc to philly back to dc to DE to new jersey.. and race everything and everyone who wanted some.. hahaha reving to the limit almost at every stop just peeling out.. i seriously beat on my car..
Old 12-03-2005, 12:10 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

I disagree. If you were making 420whp on only 6 psi...your tuner probably had way too much timing advance in there. I'm willing to bet that detonation killed your motor.

I beat the living hell out of my car every time I drive it, and since it isn't my daily driver it doesn't ever get to "just cruise". I have 4000+ miles of hard driving in a recently went up to 460 to the wheels.

Plenty of other guys have ragged the hell out of these cars with over 400whp and with no ill effects...

I also fail to believe that you just got a "weak" motor from the factory...differeces in production tolorances can't explain why there are stock motors over 500whp not blowing up and others at 400whp or below blowing up.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:46 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
I disagree. If you were making 420whp on only 6 psi...your tuner probably had way too much timing advance in there. I'm willing to bet that detonation killed your motor.

I beat the living hell out of my car every time I drive it, and since it isn't my daily driver it doesn't ever get to "just cruise". I have 4000+ miles of hard driving in a recently went up to 460 to the wheels.

Plenty of other guys have ragged the hell out of these cars with over 400whp and with no ill effects...

I also fail to believe that you just got a "weak" motor from the factory...differeces in production tolorances can't explain why there are stock motors over 500whp not blowing up and others at 400whp or below blowing up.
Remember his 420'something whp is with the 300hp rev up motor. Those things have seriously impressed me with their power potential up top...I would not be surprised to see a 20-30whp gain at simliar boost levels...vs. the standard motor.

And motors that are pinging produce less power...not more. SGP tuned this car, and I have no doubt Mark would check ignition timing numerous times. You should continue adding timing up top until you start to loose power....then you typically dial it back a couple or three degrees for safety.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:16 PM
slay2k

+1.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:29 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Remember his 420'something whp is with the 300hp rev up motor. Those things have seriously impressed me with their power potential up top...I would not be surprised to see a 20-30whp gain at simliar boost levels...vs. the standard motor.
Even a 20-30whp advantage with that iteration of the VQ still doens't add up to a reasonably average power level on 6lbs of boost.

And motors that are pinging produce less power...not more. SGP tuned this car, and I have no doubt Mark would check ignition timing numerous times. You should continue adding timing up top until you start to loose power....then you typically dial it back a couple or three degrees for safety.
I'm not saying that the motor was pinging when they tuned it...maybe the just didn't pull enough timing for a "buffer zone" and when conditions changed a little or he got some gas that wasn't as good as the stuff he tuned with, it put him over the edge.

I refuse to believe that WOT runs on a stock VQ35 motor with a little over 400whp that is properly tuned, lubricated and cooled will have any chance of blowing it up purely because of the power.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:23 AM
Jokestrap

Even a 20-30whp advantage with that iteration of the VQ still doens't add up to a reasonably average power level on 6lbs of boost.

I'm not saying that the motor was pinging when they tuned it...maybe the just didn't pull enough timing for a "buffer zone" and when conditions changed a little or he got some gas that wasn't as good as the stuff he tuned with, it put him over the edge.

I refuse to believe that WOT runs on a stock VQ35 motor with a little over 400whp that is properly tuned, lubricated and cooled will have any chance of blowing it up purely because of the power.
As I understand it, Mark at SGP is said to be one of the best tuners in the country along with another hand full of guys. I seriously doubt that there was anything wrong with the tune. Under normal conditions a guy like myself might be a little concerned about the "work" or tune that was done, but happen know two things for a fact; One, I drove the s#$t out of the car all day every day; and Two, SGP is one of the best in the business. I would blame it on my two feet and right hand before anything else knowing the statistics and reputation of SGP. BTW, I had about 8,000 miles on the TT. This was in six weeks.