Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Blown Away by Nissan North America....

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2003, 05:37 AM
KeepRT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Blown Away by Nissan North America....

Given the multiple mechanical issues encountered in the first few thousand miles of ownership I contemplated trading my Z for something.. anything else. I started my research & just couldn't bring myself to do it, I waited 2 years for her & I couldn't give up this easy. So you know where I am coming from here is a list of what I have experienced:

1) Alignment wrong from factory causing cupping on front tires = Nissan agreed to replace 2 front tires at no cost ($500+)

2) Paint chipping away on hood and bumper = Nissan says they are rock chips and won't do anything about it. I know they are rock chips that’s not the question, the question is the quality of the paint & it's ability to withstand small rocks & debris. This is certainly a problem but one I don't see going my way so I focused on everything else.

3) Engine leaking oil around valve cover gasket = Dealer acknowledged and will fix.

4) Driver seat instability = Dealer will attempt to address it but doesn’t have the fix just yet.

5) Grease on both windows = Dealer will address but from what I have read there is no real fix just yet, I don't want them taking the door panels off as the car already buzzes, squeaks, squeals, rattles & is annoying enough as it is.

6) Door jamb holds water after rain or wash = on the list of items I am providing the dealer today.

That is all I can think of off the top of my head.. but here is the absolutely amazing part.....

When I saw that the engine was leaking oil I was certainly ready to get rid of the car while anyone still wanted it. I asked my service guy about an extended warranty and explained that I wanted to purchase 100K warranty but didn't think I should have to pay full price considering the problems I have had. He sent me over to the finance weasel that quoted me $1943 w/ $50 deductible & $2450 with $0 deductible. WHAT A DEAL Now I am really pissed, the dealer is not being responsive and acts like they have never heard of any of the problems I am showing them & that I am the first person to bring it to their attention. If that is the case I want a position in Nissan's R&D. ARGGGG I am pissed driving from the dealer back to work. He gave me Nissan North Americas # (1-800-NISSAN-1) and told me to work any request out with them. I had already spoken with NNA about the paint and they could care less, I was sure my warranty request would be treated much the same. I gave it a try anyway & got a very very nice lady on the other end. She couldn't believe the engine was leaking oil & I had so many issues with my brand new vehicle. I told her I would like to meet with a district manager to talk about an extended warranty & getting a discount on one. She said I didn't need to speak with a manager because she would GIVE me an extended warranty once she verified the problems I was having. I told her that I expected to pay for a portion because I wanted the best warranty available. She said I am giving you the best we have 72 month 100k Gold Preferred which is basically bumper to bumper coverage for 100K, car rental up to 5 days for authorized repairs, roadside assistance, trip interruption coverage & no deductible. I WAS ABSOLUTELY BLOWN AWAY BY HER GENEROUSITY; SHE RENEWED MY FAITH IN NISSAN'S PRODUCT BY GOING THE EXTRA MILE TO SATISFY A CUSTOMER. As far as the valve cover gasket... she will have a rental car waiting at the dealer when I drop it off!!! WOWOWOWOWOWOW I can't promise that NNA will handle your request in the same manner I can only tell you how they handled mine so you know the option is available!

Loving my RL Track-

Jeremy
Old 03-04-2003, 06:47 AM
jmark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good to hear.
Old 03-04-2003, 07:02 AM
del105
15 f125

Jeremy what dealer did you take your car to. I want to go to the same dealer with my problems and see if they still have never heard of them. I'm basically having the same problems minus the oil leak.
Old 03-04-2003, 07:09 AM
Rahtok

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Blown Away by Nissan North America....

Originally posted by KeepRT

2) Paint chipping away on hood and bumper = Nissan says they are rock chips and won't do anything about it. I know they are rock chips that’s not the question, the question is the quality of the paint & it's ability to withstand small rocks & debris. This is certainly a problem but one I don't see going my way so I focused on everything else.
I understand the point you're making. However, even my Jeep chipped like a mad dog -- as did my aurora before that. The Aurora even had some of the thickest paint I had seen in years.

Keeping all that in mind I put a Stongard on the Z within 2 days of getting the car. To this day, the only nick I have is the one that got there before I put the 3M on. It's great stuff and highly recomended.

What's your VIN number anyway? Mine is in the 11k range. I have the window streaks problem, but none of the other things you have listed here. I've got about 2300 miles on it and have been paying close attention to the tires, but still no cupping yet.
Old 03-04-2003, 07:11 AM
socalsoda

Sounds great... Too bad they treat most of their customers like crap if they have problems.
I have spoken to over 4 people at customer relations and not one of them seems to care about my problems... It is a shame that you have to really get pissed off to get a responce from them.
I finally gave up looking for support for my $36,000 car after 2 and a half months of jumping thru hoops for them and being told that my problem is just that... my problem.
Old 03-04-2003, 07:29 AM
Daytona Blue Z in Bo

I have the same warrenty but for 6 years 75k miles and I paid only $790. So i'm still not sure its worth all the aggravation you been through, but it helps.
Old 03-04-2003, 08:05 AM
del105
15 f125

Jeremy, I fixed my seat myself using a Hitchpin. There was a how to on the forum a while back. It was super easy to do took like 30 minutes. If thats bothering you, you should just do it yourself because its super easy.
Old 03-04-2003, 10:31 AM
Z4KR

Jeremy,

Thanks for the info. It sounds like you were able to get something back. I also have a few problems (mainly transmission leak) and my tranny and drive shaft are going to be replaced because of it. I am gonna call NNA to see if I can get them to pay for the extended warranty.
Old 03-06-2003, 02:18 PM
alex30327

Sounds like you got a lemon. What dealership in ATL did you get your car at. I got mine at Regal Nissan this past August, and have not had any problems. The only thing that has pissed me off are the poor raod conditions in Atlanta.

Good luck
Old 03-20-2003, 03:14 PM
Z4KR

After my tranny and drive shaft were replaced, I called Nissan and inquired about the extended warranty. They just got back to me and let me know that they're giving me the Gold Preferred warranty as well. Although he said it's 84 months rather than 72 as you mentioned before. Thanks Jeremy.
Old 03-20-2003, 06:38 PM
KeepRT

Wink Glad to help...

I'm glad someone else was able to hit them up for a warranty: ) I just got my baby back from Sutherlin in Buford, GA after having the valve cover gasket replaced, trunk release replaced, gas cap release replaced, front tires replaced, alignment performed & an attempt to get the grease off the windows. The guys there are great and my Z drives like it did the first 3000 miles before tires started cupping resulting in excessive road noise. Anyway, I am very happy with NNA, Sutherlin & my Z.

Thanks all for your valuable input and insight!!

Jeremy