Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Uncontrollable boost...Mystery of the ages

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 10:33 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What has Turbonetics responded with in regards to some people having way to high a boost level even with different wastegate springs and boost controllers? What would they say to the idea of the wastegate that comes with this kit is too small, or improperly located? MIA can you pass this thread link to Brad? Id like to see his responses to the ideas JET has mentioned.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:35 AM
MIAPLAYA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alberto
What has Turbonetics responded with in regards to some people having way to high a boost level even with different wastegate springs and boost controllers? What would they say to the idea of the wastegate that comes with this kit is too small, or improperly located? MIA can you pass this thread link to Brad? Id like to see his responses to the ideas JET has mentioned.
PM sent...
Old 12-06-2005, 10:36 AM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT

https://my350z.com/forum/showpost.ph...9&postcount=81

Last edited by 35ounces; 12-06-2005 at 10:48 AM.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:12 PM
Peking

Originally Posted by 35ounces
If that was the case then boost would SPIKE but Kelly is seeing consistent high boost. Also, the boost controller that Kelly installed would help resolve the issue.
Maybe you missed it, but we already talked about the boost controllers

Also nevermind kcobean it actually doesn't work for me LOL (the responding in the vendor section)... Funny I must have clicked the wrong section last night when I told you it worked

Last edited by Peking; 12-06-2005 at 03:15 PM.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:43 PM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT

I didn't miss anything maybe you misinterpreted the post which was commenting on MIA's theory. A boost controller would resolve the problem he was suggesting but it didn't.
Now go back and read every post from the start of this thread before you call me out again.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:55 PM
Peking

I didn't miss anything maybe you misinterpreted the post which was commenting on MIA's theory. A boost controller would resolve the problem he was suggesting but it didn't.
Now go back and read every post from the start of this thread before you call me out again.

Whoa, whoa, whoa little fella.

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
"While this is close I won't say thats exactly accurate. Consider it this way...with higher boost the wastegate opens for LESS amount of time per cycle. BUT when it does open due to the increased air flow from the higher horespower it has to flow MORE air then it does at 8 PSI and 380 HP. So then the possiblilty would be that it is not able to cycle FAST enough at lower boost not that it cant flow enough air".

"If that was the case then boost would SPIKE but Kelly is seeing consistent high boost. Also, the boost controller that Kelly installed would help resolve the issue".

Your second sentance isn't actually clear on your intentions. Hence my assumption that you were reffering to that having the boost controller would lower his boost. Since you did say "the issue" which leaves one to think the issue at hand... Which is having higher boost than supposed to.

And please don't talk to me like I am a child, you should keep in mind that we are not all psychic to have known exactly what you were meaning
Old 12-06-2005, 04:00 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by Peking
Whoa, whoa, whoa little fella.

"While this is close I won't say thats exactly accurate. Consider it this way...with higher boost the wastegate opens for LESS amount of time per cycle. BUT when it does open due to the increased air flow from the higher horespower it has to flow MORE air then it does at 8 PSI and 380 HP. So then the possiblilty would be that it is not able to cycle FAST enough at lower boost not that it cant flow enough air".

"If that was the case then boost would SPIKE but Kelly is seeing consistent high boost. Also, the boost controller that Kelly installed would help resolve the issue".

Your second sentance isn't actually clear on your intentions. Hence my assumption that you were reffering to that having the boost controller would lower his boost. Since you did say "the issue" which leaves one to think the issue at hand... Which is having higher boost than supposed to.

And please don't talk to me like I am a child, you should keep in mind that we are not all psychic to have known exactly what you were meaning

Come on fellas lets not fight...We're all Turbonetics brothers here
Old 12-06-2005, 04:03 PM
Peking

Come on fellas lets not fight...We're all Turbonetics brothers here

Well he started it

Just messing, it's all good

Almost seems tensions are high since this problem is very strange.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:04 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by Peking
Well he started it

Just messing, it's all good

Almost seems tensions are high since this problem is very strange.
Yeah I hear you guys..Jhame is in the bay right now still (working late) working on this...
Old 12-06-2005, 04:11 PM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT

I assure you I have followed this closely as it effects my setup and I am anxious for a resolution.

Last edited by 35ounces; 12-06-2005 at 04:29 PM.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:15 PM
Peking

Lets be clear, you called me out with that. If I had said "THAT issue" would it have been clearer for you?
I assure you I have followed this closely as it effects my setup and I am anxious for a resolution.
Ummm no, clearly you took that the wrong way (hence the smilie). I meant for that to be in a joking way, it is easy for a post to be missed.

Once again, maybe after you calmed down for a bit. Read my last posts before this one... Or feel the way you do about it regardless
Old 12-06-2005, 04:21 PM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT

nm

Last edited by 35ounces; 12-06-2005 at 04:28 PM.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:22 PM
Peking

yeah I read it as a condescending statement. I should have ignored it along with the posts that followed.
Ouch.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:27 PM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT

nm
Old 12-06-2005, 04:28 PM
MIAPLAYA

So how bout them Dolphins
Old 12-06-2005, 04:29 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At the risk of sounding like I've had a bad day...

Unless you have $12K worth of turbo kit that you can't use right now or you have something probative or contributory to say about the problem at hand, please keep your useless bull**** out of this thread. Thanks.

Sincerely,
The guy with the ****ing problem

EDIT: AND A 5 DAY BAN FOR THE NEXT SOB THAT STRAYS FROM TOPIC.

Old 12-07-2005, 04:16 AM
huducks

hey kelly did the guys at altered have ne thoughts on the problem?

Last edited by huducks; 12-07-2005 at 04:19 AM.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:20 AM
westpak
SFZCC

While this is close I won't say thats exactly accurate. Consider it this way...with higher boost the wastegate opens for LESS amount of time per cycle. BUT when it does open due to the increased air flow from the higher horespower it has to flow MORE air then it does at 8 PSI and 380 HP. So then the possiblilty would be that it is not able to cycle FAST enough at lower boost not that it cant flow enough air.
Wouldn't it be the opposite? The turbo doesn't care what boost level you are running and doesn't adjust it self depending on what boost you are running, only the wastegates control the boost level, all you have to do is disable the wastegate and see how the boost will spike so really at low boost levels the wastegates have to flow more than at higher boost levels.

I would think that every time you go WOT the turbo spools up to max, lets say that is 15 psi so if you are shooting for 13 psi then it has less air to flow than if you are trying to keep it down to 8 psi at this level it would have to release a lot more pressure than at 13 psi.

Is my logic flawed?
Old 12-07-2005, 07:00 AM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So here's a question for ya.....We're going to try a "dump to atmosphere" test on my car to see if reducing dump pressure (by eliminating the dump tube and the 90 degree exhaust bend into the downpipe) will allow the car to hold steady pressure. I'm wondering if this is going to cause any weirdness with the ECU because of the O2 sensors not seeing all that exhaust gas. Any thoughts?
Old 12-07-2005, 07:11 AM
theking

No it shouldn't. The O2 sensors don't meter the amount of air only the AF ratio in that air. So dumping to the atmosphere will be fine.
Originally Posted by kcobean
So here's a question for ya.....We're going to try a "dump to atmosphere" test on my car to see if reducing dump pressure (by eliminating the dump tube and the 90 degree exhaust bend into the downpipe) will allow the car to hold steady pressure. I'm wondering if this is going to cause any weirdness with the ECU because of the O2 sensors not seeing all that exhaust gas. Any thoughts?

Quick Reply: Uncontrollable boost...Mystery of the ages