Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

What is a good safe turbo setup for the 350z?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005 | 03:56 AM
bhamvett

Default What is a good safe turbo setup for the 350z?

I was curious as to what F\I system would be the most reliable for a daily driver 350z or G35 coupe. Nothing wild, just a good bolt on, reliable supercharger or twin turbo setup. Very mild boost. Reliability is the key!
Thanks
Old 12-15-2005 | 05:15 AM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Stillen Stage 2 S/C
Old 12-15-2005 | 05:21 AM
nexstage350

any of them, it comes down to how u have it setup and tuned. some more than others, but all reliable.
Old 12-15-2005 | 05:24 AM
Fairlady_z33

Yes will have to agree with nexstage350 now almost all the kits that are out their are reliable is just how you install them and tune them. Just do a little reasearch on what are going to be you power neeeds.
Old 12-15-2005 | 05:26 AM
EM-EFER

Originally Posted by nexstage350
any of them, it comes down to how u have it setup and tuned. some more than others, but all reliable.
He said just bolt-on... to me that means no tune.

If that is the case Stillen, Turbonetics.
Old 12-15-2005 | 05:49 AM
CpraceZ

Like said up top any kit with a good tune is a safe kit, if you are looking to just bolt something on and go I would stick with a supercharger, but for any kit supercharger or turbo I would suggest getting a tune.
Old 12-15-2005 | 06:34 AM
nissansource

Safe Turbonetics
Old 12-15-2005 | 06:55 AM
nexstage350

i agree with cpracez, what is boils down to is getting it tuned. the money spent on a good tune can save u from a lot of problems down the road.
Old 12-15-2005 | 07:20 AM
PoWeRtRiP

there is no "safe" bolt on kit for the z. the closest you can get to being reliable is the stillen, especially if you buy the warranty, however it must be installed by a stillen certified shop and cannot have any other parts installed.
Old 12-15-2005 | 07:38 AM
BLN350Z

Ok, someone tell me this.... Can the Stillen be tuned? I have the Stage III and I am under the impression that it can not be or should not be tuned.

BTW, the Stillen Warranty is a WASTE OF MONEY! The fine print is what gets ya!
Old 12-15-2005 | 09:05 AM
Zivman

Originally Posted by nissansource
Safe Turbonetics

How can people say turbonetics is safe? Especially with the recent threads about detonating and lean dynos, etc????

Anything APS is going to be the safest. APS has had issues, but noone running around talking about detonation and lean AFRs. Heck, even in good 'ol Minnesota, the land of few Z's, and even fewer FI Zs, we had a Z pop a motor on a TN kit.

From my knowledge, noone has popped a motor that is directly related to an APS kit - (one that had some oil starvation due to low oil). APS is the most complete out of box. APS provides stock like drivability with tons of power at low to moderate boost.
Old 12-15-2005 | 09:15 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by Zivman
How can people say turbonetics is safe? Especially with the recent threads about detonating and lean dynos, etc????

Anything APS is going to be the safest. APS has had issues, but noone running around talking about detonation and lean AFRs. Heck, even in good 'ol Minnesota, the land of few Z's, and even fewer FI Zs, we had a Z pop a motor on a TN kit.

From my knowledge, noone has popped a motor that is directly related to an APS kit - (one that had some oil starvation due to low oil). APS is the most complete out of box. APS provides stock like drivability with tons of power at low to moderate boost.
OK...I guess turbo shaft play, James Bond smoke screens, blown motors due to coolant line leaks, overheating due to air in the cooling system, and oil being force fed into the intercooler and intake tract are GOOD things?! The fact is of the 165+ kits sold TWO people have run lean. And I have heard of a total of 2 blown Turbonetics kits. APS is better why? Oh yeah maybe its because without driving 1800 miles to find an "authorized tuner" you get crap power out of box.
Old 12-15-2005 | 09:58 AM
Zivman

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
OK...I guess turbo shaft play, James Bond smoke screens, blown motors due to coolant line leaks, overheating due to air in the cooling system, and oil being force fed into the intercooler and intake tract are GOOD things?! The fact is of the 165+ kits sold TWO people have run lean. And I have heard of a total of 2 blown Turbonetics kits. APS is better why? Oh yeah maybe its because without driving 1800 miles to find an "authorized tuner" you get crap power out of box.
You don't know what you are talking about. I would say 99% of APS issues are install related. You show me one blown motor on an APS kit because I know of at least one blown motor due to the TN kit.

I am not saying APS is not without issues, just that the issues you are talking about aren't 100% valid.

I'll give you that the TN kit is safer than the greddy TT, but IMO, it is not complete, and does not allow for tuning. You think the unichip is bad, which at least has tuning capabilities. With a reflash, you are more or less stuck.

We don't have to get in a pissing match, which it is obvious you attempted to start with your recent posts. enjoy your TN kit.
Old 12-15-2005 | 10:03 AM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic
Premier Member

hahahaha, isn't that all this site is about anymore? Every good thread gets ruined by people trying to start arguments, haven't we all learned that by this point?
Old 12-15-2005 | 10:04 AM
nissansource

OMG not another APS thread
Old 12-15-2005 | 10:06 AM
nissansource

btw im boosting more then i should maxed maf @5v
Old 12-15-2005 | 10:06 AM
MIAPLAYA

You don't know what you are talking about. I would say 99% of APS issues are install related. You show me one blown motor on an APS kit because I know of at least one blown motor due to the TN kit.

I am not saying APS is not without issues, just that the issues you are talking about aren't 100% valid.

I'll give you that the TN kit is safer than the greddy TT, but IMO, it is not complete, and does not allow for tuning. You think the unichip is bad, which at least has tuning capabilities. With a reflash, you are more or less stuck.

We don't have to get in a pissing match, which it is obvious you attempted to start with your recent posts. enjoy your TN kit.
I'm sorry to say you are horribly mistaken. There have been two engine failures as a result of APS kits one was an low oil issue the other was failsafe due to a coolant leak supposedly. If you read over all the APS ST installs I think you will see that even those installed at GRD have oil burning issues and oil being found ALL OVER the intake tract as a result of poor oil drain from the ridiculously low turbo set up on the ST kit. Tack on the fact that 90% of the APS ST owners can't even hold boost past 4500 RPMS, several have reported shaft play in the turbo, and APS so far seems to be doing little to nothing to help them and you get what? A safe reliable kit? Ask Jergens, tig488, and some of the other ST owners how nice its been to have quarts of oil found in their intercooler. Or how fun it is to watch the power fall on its face because the turbo wont keep boost past 4500.
Old 12-15-2005 | 10:36 AM
JETPILOT

As far as detonating with the TN kit.... My kit was fine until I installed an aftermarket exhaust. The kit worked perfrectly as advertised, and it was designed to work with the stock exhasut.

Respect
JET
Old 12-15-2005 | 10:48 AM
CpraceZ

Come on guys the fact is all these kits need tuning I don't care if you speak of the APS, Vortech, or Turbonetics kit. They all need custom tunes, from every Z we have tuned I can tell you everyone car acts different we have seen several with the same mods that we can't use the same map for. Another fact is Z owners live all over the country from the mountains to the beach they are all over the place Climate effects the tune none of these companies ask where the customer is located when they write the tune. We have all seen tunes from each of this kits be lean out of the box you never know that’s why I always suggest if you are putting a FI kit on the car and not getting a custom tune get the car on the dyno right after the install. Thankfully most of these tunes are on the richer side but there is a point where a car can be to rich. The fact of the matter is that if you are purchasing a FI kit why not have a safe tune and get everything out of the car you can? Good driveablity, safe tune and the power with a custom tune is the way to go.
Old 12-15-2005 | 11:41 AM
Zivman

Originally Posted by CpraceZ
Come on guys the fact is all these kits need tuning I don't care if you speak of the APS, Vortech, or Turbonetics kit. They all need custom tunes, from every Z we have tuned I can tell you everyone car acts different we have seen several with the same mods that we can't use the same map for. Another fact is Z owners live all over the country from the mountains to the beach they are all over the place Climate effects the tune none of these companies ask where the customer is located when they write the tune. We have all seen tunes from each of this kits be lean out of the box you never know that’s why I always suggest if you are putting a FI kit on the car and not getting a custom tune get the car on the dyno right after the install. Thankfully most of these tunes are on the richer side but there is a point where a car can be to rich. The fact of the matter is that if you are purchasing a FI kit why not have a safe tune and get everything out of the car you can? Good driveablity, safe tune and the power with a custom tune is the way to go.
This is exactly my point. TN does not allow you to tune. You get your ECU flashed and you are stuck with that unless you want to buy a piggyback EMS. The aps comes with a tunable EMS out of box. To some it is long journey to find a tuner, to others, it is right down the road. The unichip may not be the most user friendly EMS, but it provides the capability to custom tune.

Quick Reply: What is a good safe turbo setup for the 350z?