Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Can UTEC adjust idle?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 02:23 PM
dynamic6er

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's another option now everyone! You can log all you vehicle data, raise you r idle, clear all fuel trims, and all CEL codes (including BCM, ABS, and ECU).

http://www.alteredatmosphere.com/mm5...y_Code=350Z_EM
Old 03-23-2006, 03:14 PM
Z350Lover

Please help!!! People that have this idle stablizier mod installed, do your cars stall when you come to a dead stop with the air conditioning turned on? Coming to a stop (on the brake) while you depress the clutch pedal when the RPM is still at 2000rpm and falling... do your cars stall out easily or a bit of struggling there under that situation?

Thanks a lot in advance!

cheers,

richie
Old 03-24-2006, 05:00 AM
dynamic6er

Sorry we have not seen that here. Does the MOTEC have any controls that you can use? I think I remember you disconnecting your DBW module so I don't think it does. You may be able to have the tuners play with some of the DECEL FUEL strategies. Do you have the clutch pressed in for a long period of time before coming to a stop or are you rolling/braking in gear then pressing the clutch in just before it begins chattering/2K RPM? If it the former then try the later. If its the later and the Motec can't be adjusted to help then I would recommend the Cipher so you can bring your base idle up. That way the Facotry ECU will begin its decel idle stabalization sooner. Different EMS's refer to it in different terminology but bascially its a way to make the idle land softly while turning the injectors back on after a period of deceleration. By bumping your idle with the Cipher you are raising the point that the factory ECU begins the "landing" procedure.
Old 03-24-2006, 02:51 PM
Z350Lover

THanks alot dynamic6der,

if I let the car rolls in gear until the rpm drops down to 1200rpm or so then depress the clutch, the engine never stalls out... I now set the idle rpm up at 900 (haven't adjusted the timings at motec yet) and it seems to be a lot better and that's the highest that Nissan Consult II can do. The car kept on stalling out was mainly due to I set the idle rpm down to 800rpm because I thought it seemed to be fine while I had it at 900rpm, and I might as well set it lower... but it just never worked out at 800rpm... I have set it back to 900rpm after I posted the message, then on monday, I am bringing in my car back to my tuner to reset the timings to suit 900rpm idle speed, else there is always a few idle hunts around 900 to 1000rpm because we previously set the low ignition timing zone at 800-850rpm and if it is at 900rpm, the engine rpm will just brings it up a bit (DECEL factor), and hence the idle hunts...

I am really interested in buying a Cipher computer though.... looks VERY powerful!!!

cheers,

richie
Old 03-25-2006, 07:54 AM
dynamic6er

Originally Posted by Z350Lover
THanks alot dynamic6der,

if I let the car rolls in gear until the rpm drops down to 1200rpm or so then depress the clutch, the engine never stalls out... I now set the idle rpm up at 900 (haven't adjusted the timings at motec yet) and it seems to be a lot better and that's the highest that Nissan Consult II can do. The car kept on stalling out was mainly due to I set the idle rpm down to 800rpm because I thought it seemed to be fine while I had it at 900rpm, and I might as well set it lower... but it just never worked out at 800rpm... I have set it back to 900rpm after I posted the message, then on monday, I am bringing in my car back to my tuner to reset the timings to suit 900rpm idle speed, else there is always a few idle hunts around 900 to 1000rpm because we previously set the low ignition timing zone at 800-850rpm and if it is at 900rpm, the engine rpm will just brings it up a bit (DECEL factor), and hence the idle hunts...

I am really interested in buying a Cipher computer though.... looks VERY powerful!!!

cheers,

richie

No problem Richie! I love your setup! Its very REFINED.

I would recommend playing with the fuel DECEL factors becasue they have more to do with stalling then timing. That's why there are so many tables and options just for this fact. I was thinking about it a little more and I think what is causing this is the motor is pulling ~-28psi of vaccum under decel in gear. It then quickly transitions to a different vacumm ~-24psi but most likely peaks at about ~-20psi (maybe a little higher) when the clutch is pressed in (fast transition from high "negative" load) . This is causing the ECU to drift to a different cell (Motec is 32x32 IIRC) and on top of that you have a little reversion with the cams and such.

The CIPHER is a great tool! Just send me a PM if you want a shipping quote. Thanks!
Old 03-25-2006, 01:14 PM
undrgnd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dynamic6er
No problem Richie! The CIPHER is a great tool! Just send me a PM if you want a shipping quote. Thanks!
The only thing the Cipher will adjust on the Z is idle speed and timing, and both within a very limited window, correct?
Old 03-25-2006, 08:22 PM
Mark-SGP-

Default Shoot me a e-mail or call me @ the shop----->>>>>

I can tell you a easier way to fix it DEPENDING on a few other things you may or may not have.... The e-mail is : sales@sgpracing.com / 1-281-444-9195

Mark@SGPRacing

You may even like the idea WITH the MOTEC DBW code.... This is only IF you are still having problems....Sorry Guy's I have been really busy, just trying to catch up.....

Originally Posted by Z350Lover
Please help!!! People that have this idle stablizier mod installed, do your cars stall when you come to a dead stop with the air conditioning turned on? Coming to a stop (on the brake) while you depress the clutch pedal when the RPM is still at 2000rpm and falling... do your cars stall out easily or a bit of struggling there under that situation?

Thanks a lot in advance!

cheers,

richie
Old 03-27-2006, 04:44 AM
dynamic6er

Originally Posted by undrgnd
The only thing the Cipher will adjust on the Z is idle speed and timing, and both within a very limited window, correct?
Yes limited controls just like the ConsultII. Idle is limited to +/-250RPM. Timing is a global change +/- 2 degrees.
Old 03-27-2006, 04:46 AM
dynamic6er

Originally Posted by Mark-SGP-
I can tell you a easier way to fix it DEPENDING on a few other things you may or may not have.... The e-mail is : sales@sgpracing.com / 1-281-444-9195

Mark@SGPRacing

You may even like the idea WITH the MOTEC DBW code.... This is only IF you are still having problems....Sorry Guy's I have been really busy, just trying to catch up.....
IIRC Richie eliminated the DBW module becasue it was interfering with other functions.
Old 03-29-2006, 04:11 AM
Z350Lover

Originally Posted by Mark-SGP-

Mark@SGPRacing

Mark,

What's an easier way to eliminate that? I would love to know that mate!!! Please help!

I didn't have this type of problem before my high compression ratio pistons and Ferrea valvetrain kit though.... I was running nismo spec1 already with motec and factory DBW and I never had problem with the car idled @ 800rpm and never stalled the car under the same condition.... but with this engine build, I really needed to set the idle speed higher to 900rpm... so what's wrong you reckon? I have already sent you an email regarding to this I will really want my engine to idle at 800rpm instead of 900rpm though because it sounds so loud idling at 900rpm... Thanks heaps!

And I am not using motec DBW anymore since I need traction control and cruise control, I used that for half a year before I changed it to factory DBW control, but it only worked well with idle set at 1000rpm at motec computer... and that was even louder

Dave,

Please check your PM

cheers,

richie

Last edited by Z350Lover; 03-29-2006 at 04:16 AM.
Old 03-29-2006, 05:15 AM
Z350Lover

Just realise one thing..... I didn't have this idle problem at all right after the engine rebuilt... but only had it after I got the injectors modified and tuned (20%) since we maxed out the injectors...

Thanks!

richie