Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Engine Removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 01:22 PM
atlsupdawg#2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Removal

Wanted to post here since I think the F/I guys have pulled a lot more motors than the N/A folks.

Anyway, the service manual says you can drop the motor from the bottom with the sub frame still attached. Of course this is how the front end is assembled at the factory anyway. I also noticed that when you pull the rad support the front of the car turns into one gaping hole. I have access to a lift on base but transport of the car would be a hassle.

So, would it be possible to drop the engine from the bottom while on jack stands using a hydraulic cart and pull the whole assembly out from the front of the car? Or, would I absolutely need a lift to go this route??
Old 12-27-2005, 01:26 PM
G352NV

I found it easy to pull it with the tranny from the front end. I know of a shop that drops it out the bottom and they told me I would never get it back in through the front. It was pretty much cake. Ill be another one in a couple weeks and out the front Ill go.
I put the car up on stands and grab the motor with a lift and just pull it out.
Attached Thumbnails Engine Removal-picture-1365.jpg  
Old 12-27-2005, 01:39 PM
atlsupdawg#2

Originally Posted by G352NV
I found it easy to pull it with the tranny from the front end. I know of a shop that drops it out the bottom and they told me I would never get it back in through the front. It was pretty much cake. Ill be another one in a couple weeks and out the front Ill go.
I put the car up on stands and grab the motor with a lift and just pull it out.
G352NV,
Thanks bro!!! That's EXACTLY what I was looking for. I was just wondering whether or not the headers would clear without banging the sides. What's your typical "pull" time form start to finish doing it this way, minus the beer breaks of course ??
Old 12-27-2005, 02:13 PM
G352NV

Took a friend and I about a hour in and out once the front support was off. Headers will clear, I used rags between the bay and them so I wouldnt get scratches. Also when you dissconect the ECU harness just pull it up through the firewall so it can come out with the motor. We also made a bracket to mount on the IM spot so we could pull the motor straight up and out.
Attached Thumbnails Engine Removal-picture-1367.jpg  
Old 12-27-2005, 02:21 PM
atlsupdawg#2

Originally Posted by G352NV
Took a friend and I about a hour in and out once the front support was off. Headers will clear, I used rags between the bay and them so I wouldnt get scratches. Also when you dissconect the ECU harness just pull it up through the firewall so it can come out with the motor. We also made a bracket to mount on the IM spot so we could pull the motor straight up and out.
WOW, an hour.. You've been a big help brotha, thanks..
Old 12-27-2005, 02:31 PM
G352NV

No problem.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:50 PM
overZealous1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by atlsupdawg#2
Wanted to post here since I think the F/I guys have pulled a lot more motors than the N/A folks.

Anyway, the service manual says you can drop the motor from the bottom with the sub frame still attached. Of course this is how the front end is assembled at the factory anyway. I also noticed that when you pull the rad support the front of the car turns into one gaping hole. I have access to a lift on base but transport of the car would be a hassle.

So, would it be possible to drop the engine from the bottom while on jack stands using a hydraulic cart and pull the whole assembly out from the front of the car? Or, would I absolutely need a lift to go this route??
possible to do without even pulling the rad support off. you have about 3/4" room to do it, but saves alot of time. i had mine out in about 4-5 hours from a running car. just put a piece of cardboard over the rad so you don't hit it with your knuckles or something. undoing the trans bolts in the car is a snap, tons of room.
Attached Thumbnails Engine Removal-picture-112resize.jpg   Engine Removal-picture-113resize.jpg  
Old 12-27-2005, 03:57 PM
G352NV

That was just motor right? Not motor and tranny? I dunno if you can remove both with the support in place.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:59 PM
overZealous1

right, you will not get both the trans and motor out this way, unless you have alot of height and a load leveler. but to just pull the motor, it can be pulled this way too. will save from disconnecting the a/c and the power steering. just set them to the side.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:11 PM
supra crazy

w/e i know its old but im trying to do the same. I wanted to know if there is a separation between the upper and lower harness(Transmission harness) because when i sawped motors in my S14 there was a clip for the lower harness separate from the upper harness. but on the Z it doesnt seem that way. How did you guys deal with the tiwreing?
Old 05-16-2006, 12:14 AM
overZealous1

i just undid it all from the motor and trans, then set it off to the side. not to hard once you get in there and start to do it.
Old 05-16-2006, 05:01 PM
ryan350z

Scott is bang on with his method. When I work at the dealership it was easy to drop the motors out the bottom whenyou have a lift. But for doing it at home unbolt the tranny leave the a/c inplace and I pull the rad to play it safe. Good luck