Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Just tell me if this sounds dumb!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 10:11 PM
Daytona350Texas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just tell me if this sounds dumb!

A friend of mine that has an Srt-4 is about to stage 4 his kit, so he'll be taking off his turbo. I know the stock turbos arent freaking the most powerful in the world!... but he has cut me a deal and is gonna let me try it out on my Z if I want before he officially sells it. So i can maybe do a custom turbo kit built from a shop guy that used to build turbo kits in Ca... so im just curious i can buy the turbo off him for like 400 bux if all goes well and i like it and wanna keep it... so installation, dyno, tune, parts, gauges, etc everything i need will be under 5k EASY.

Would it be smart to try to custom turbo kit, with a good tune, with the right parts, like emanage or utec, etc, and only run like 7psi if that? Cause I figured it would be an easy gain for rwhp and cheapest I can do it. And if all fails and doesnt turn out ok, ill be out nothing, give him the turbo back, the installer is a friend of family so he wont make me pay if he fails. etc...
Old 12-28-2005, 10:20 PM
BoOsTedz33TT

1. srt turbo is way to small
2. your asking for headaches
3. you will spend more money making that turbo fit, than just buying a kit
4. going cheap on a Z is the first way to mess up

Take the Z to jotech or to SGP, they can get it done right
Old 12-28-2005, 10:30 PM
Daytona350Texas

yeah but i dont have the money to drop 5-7k on a kit, then 2k to get installed a tuned, etc.... and wont for like a year
Old 12-28-2005, 10:33 PM
Vamos_Rafael

Originally Posted by Daytona350Texas
yeah but i dont have the money to drop 5-7k on a kit, then 2k to get installed a tuned, etc.... and wont for like a year
that means something...

and i will tell u straight up
its called
"WAIT FOR A YEAR AND DO IT RIGHT!"
Old 12-28-2005, 10:36 PM
Daytona350Texas

alright well i was just checkin. Maybe ill throw it on my 92 maro and see what it can do considering my maro is gonna be completely restored by my father anyway
Old 12-28-2005, 11:00 PM
overZealous1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm all for doing a custom set up, but going that route you will need to do alot of research. i don't know what size the turbo in the srt 4 is, but i would agree it will prolly be too small and not end up giving the power and effiecentcy you want. any halfway good fabricator can do all the tubing. but the turbo size and intercooler size are going to be very specific to motor size and power levels you want.
i almost went the custom route and did my own, but found my greedy kit for such a good price i couldn't pass it up.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:18 PM
Daytona350Texas

Would it be a bad idea to try and buy a used kit? I just cant come up with the 10k easily and its hard to save past 2k anyway for me lol im a kid still and want to buy dumb stuff! :\
Old 12-28-2005, 11:27 PM
Daytona350Texas

Cause my ideal range for right now is about 325-400 wheel... and thats really about it, im not looking for godly amount. I want something thats definately stable for unbuilt block, and won't have to worry too much about
Old 12-29-2005, 12:37 AM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah.... pretty dumb.

Respect
JET
Old 12-29-2005, 01:06 AM
350z_this

don't do it unless you want problems.....
Old 12-29-2005, 04:22 AM
MoodDude

Being an engineer I can tell you that it would be fun to try, yet risky. Even after you design all the components you must then test them out. As for your case, you will test it on your car, if you are willing to risk your engine, than go for it. Just know, you are going to spend more time and money getting it to work than just buying an off-the-shelf turbo kit.
Yet, it would be a lot of fun, and you could name your kit after yourself.

So bottom line, sell some of your stuff to get the kit installed.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:28 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Cause my ideal range for right now is about 325-400 wheel... and thats really about it, im not looking for godly amount. I want something thats definately stable for unbuilt block, and won't have to worry too much about
I would recommend you stay as far away from any turbo setup as possible.

You were concerned about your car having issues based on a sloshing noise, and you thought about buying a turbo off an SRT-4 and wanted to jimmy-rig it into your car?????

If this is true - save your money and do it right:
Hey im just a car enthusiast just like you. I want the best for my car at all times. I want power, I want speed, I want everything that a sportscar can provide me!

Last edited by Zivman; 12-29-2005 at 05:31 AM.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:19 AM
down_shift

You need to understand that not all turbo's are the same.. Certain turbo's are sized for certain cars. Especially the VQ. Turbonetics ST kit has a special turbo etc.

I mean, when I was back in JR high, I would drop by the junkyard when I was bored and take my time taking turbo's out of SAABs and VW's etc. I had a big collection of turbo's just for kicks. But I would never put one of those things into my G!

Last edited by down_shift; 12-29-2005 at 06:22 AM.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:51 AM
CpraceZ

I agree if you think about it even with a custom setup your going to have to drop some cash, SRT 4 turbos are small!! prob wont be enough so you most likely will be spending more money on a bigger turbo and have to re modify some stuff. You will also have to throw in some money for tuning I would say you better off going with a kit you will save money in the long run.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:06 AM
WA2GOOD
Banned

A friend of mine that has an Srt-4 is about to stage 4 his kit, so he'll be taking off his turbo. I know the stock turbos arent freaking the most powerful in the world!... but he has cut me a deal and is gonna let me try it out on my Z if I want before he officially sells it. So i can maybe do a custom turbo kit built from a shop guy that used to build turbo kits in Ca... so im just curious i can buy the turbo off him for like 400 bux if all goes well and i like it and wanna keep it... so installation, dyno, tune, parts, gauges, etc everything i need will be under 5k EASY.

Would it be smart to try to custom turbo kit, with a good tune, with the right parts, like emanage or utec, etc, and only run like 7psi if that? Cause I figured it would be an easy gain for rwhp and cheapest I can do it. And if all fails and doesnt turn out ok, ill be out nothing, give him the turbo back, the installer is a friend of family so he wont make me pay if he fails. etc...

Man, I thought you knew better than that.

Scott at VRT
Old 12-29-2005, 07:39 PM
Daytona350Texas

Haha scott i do know better but im raging for more now its hard... and now having the money like alot of these guys do is killing me. I read all their posts and it just makes me angry almost haha. Im beating nearly everyone here in amarillo and I have intake right now, other stuff waiting til it gets here to install. I was just looking for an easy out haha I know better, just simple question, figured i might get flamed but its ok, i learn from mistakes and that was one of em! See all u guys taught me something, even tho some in a ****ty manner, some in respect... but either way i learned something!

Im saving like a madman but its not building as fast as i want it to, but we will see where i stand in 4 months like i said
Old 12-29-2005, 08:05 PM
BoOsTedz33TT

"There's two bulls standing on top of a mountain. The younger one says to the older one: "Hey pop, let's say we run down there and f@ck one of them cows". The older one says: "No son. Lets walk down and f@ck 'em all".

patience grasshoppa
Old 12-29-2005, 08:08 PM
Daytona350Texas

nice
Old 12-30-2005, 08:22 AM
More Power

My heart is with you Daytona. But my head is with the guys that say it'll be more trouble than it's worth and you will eventually drop so much cash into making it work...that is ain't worth the freight.

It used to be sooooo simple to get something like a '68 Mustang fastback small block V-8. Like I did back in 1973 in college. And even on a college budget, I went to the junk yard and got a used 650 holley carb for about 15 bucks. I bought a carburetor kit and got my buddy to install the kit for a 6 pack of Schlitz malt liquor tall boys, ha. It took all of about 5 minutes for me to install that carb. ha. Then I went to another junk yard and got a ford high lift cam for my 302 engine for 30 bucks. We called them "three quarter race cams" back then. I installed the cam myself and had a lot of fun. Those engines were so easy to work on. Borrowed a crank shaft puller from other college buddies who worked in a gas station. Had to have it back before the station owner got back the next day or the $hit would hit the fan for all of us, ha. Guy who owned the station was an old skin flint named Hollis Wilson, who was affectionately known by us as "haul-*** Wilson". Cause we were borrowing his tools every time he hauled *** outta there and wasn't around for a bit. If he knew how many of his tools got loaned out and he never even knew... He was always wonderin' how his tools got soooo damn worn out when he hardly ever even used them himself, he he. Do you think I just might have been a little bit red neck? ha.

Then I sent off to JC Whitney and got a offenhauser high rise aluminum manifold to fit beautifully under the holley carb. Got some used doug thorley small tube headers second hand and I was all set. Slapped all that stuff on the engine and with merely tuning the carb and advancing the timing 5 degrees, it ran great and pretty damn fast! But I wanted folks to hear me comin'!

So then I got college kid crazy...crawled under the car and cut off the dual exhausts underneath the front seats and installed a couple of sonic el cheapo glass pack mufflers. So I had that beautiful LOUD lope at idle from the hot cam and rumbling exhaust. And when I punched it, it screamed so loud that Mother's in the area threw their kids into the houses in terror as I approached. Cops pulled me over on general principles, but usually wound me asking me how fast it'd run. High 13s weren't bad at the time on my budget. Got surprisingly few tickets even though I'm sure it was illegally loud as hell.

Those were the days. You could just throw a hodge podge setup like I did on those muscle cars and they really ran great and pretty fast. Sadly it doesn't work like that anymore with our fuel injected computerized engine management systemy hi techy cars.

But in the real world today, save up and buy a real good turbo kit and get it professionally installed if you aren't sure you can do it yourself. But never stop dreaming about lancing at those old windmills on the side. And don't worry... In the next world, we'll all have the right tools, know how, and be running God's own big assed mother of all turbos, ha. And he'll help us install them for a 6 pack of tall boys and BS with us the whole time, ha. On this side, though, use the turbo from the SRT as a paper weight. But I do like the way you think!

Last edited by More Power; 12-30-2005 at 08:37 AM.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:34 AM
barthelb
Master

Unless you have the money to fix any problems that may happen like a blown motor or something expensive dont do it. You wont be able to pay for it. Maybe a SC'er would be better. They have proven to be more reliable then the Turbo setups. However, alot of people with turbos like myselft are proven that to be wrong. Sc'er are cheaper to install, buy and keep running IMO. Also being young you may get yourself in more trouble then needed. I noticed most of the older guys here that have these setups are not in that much trouble because we are less likely to be meeting up at the starbucks or In N out burgers with all the other cars so, think about it cuz it can cause more problems than fun.

Quick Reply: Just tell me if this sounds dumb!