Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Greddy or Turbonetics.. I knew this would happen..

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 12:54 PM
BobbyRitz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alberto
I have the JIC full Ti slightly larger than 3" 80mm (3" is 76mm) single on my car with the TN. I havent had much driving time with the kit, but for the little time I did I can tell you. Its loud as $hit, and I get 9psi peak boost-NO OVERBOOST WITH THIS EXHAUST. I love the exhaust, and it weighs less than 10lbs....
Hmmm...turbo didn't quiet your exhaust?
Old 01-12-2006, 12:57 PM
BobbyRitz

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Glad I could help out...
Another question...I have AAM's 3" stainless exhaust.

Here's a link to a video when my test pipes were on.

Any thoughts on this exhaust with the TN setup?

http://videos.streetfire.net/Player....1&term=aam&p=0
Old 01-12-2006, 12:58 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by BobbyRitz
Another question...I have AAM's 3" stainless exhaust.

Here's a link to a video when my test pipes were on.

Any thoughts on this exhaust with the TN setup?

http://videos.streetfire.net/Player....1&term=aam&p=0
It should change the tone a little. On my Apexi its about the same volume under WOT but it changed the tone...
Old 01-12-2006, 01:27 PM
buho62

If I get Turbonetics, and I screw the tranny, warranty wont cover it right?
Old 01-12-2006, 01:40 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by buho62
If I get Turbonetics, and I screw the tranny, warranty wont cover it right?

probably not
Old 01-12-2006, 01:48 PM
veilside350zTT

I had a long talk today with Rob/miaplaya to get some further knowledge about the ecu reflash, utec, other stages etc..

This is wat i have decided to do..

Going turbonetics stage 1 (will work fine w/my current mods)
Will eventually build my engine than do stage 2h turbonetics when it become available..

p.s. i called intense motorsports regarding that price i saw above of $4700 but he said pricing went up and its now $5400.. so i obviously wont be going through them
Old 01-12-2006, 02:17 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by veilside350zTT
I had a long talk today with Rob/miaplaya to get some further knowledge about the ecu reflash, utec, other stages etc..

This is wat i have decided to do..

Going turbonetics stage 1 (will work fine w/my current mods)
Will eventually build my engine than do stage 2h turbonetics when it become available..

p.s. i called intense motorsports regarding that price i saw above of $4700 but he said pricing went up and its now $5400.. so i obviously wont be going through them
Glad I could help out...
Old 01-12-2006, 02:54 PM
Rppngears

I don't buy Greddy products. In my opinion they rush kits to market to get the edge on everyone else, but don't spend the time to do proper engineering and testing. They also lower there price by not including everything you need with the kit. So it appears as though it costs less, but you end up spending just as much in the long run, or else risk damaging components. And from personal experience, they don't stand behind their work.

Turbonetics, on the other hand, is a great company with great, and complete products.

Last edited by Rppngears; 01-12-2006 at 02:58 PM.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:54 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

rumor on the street is that as of the new yr the pricing has gone up on TN kits across the board, not just at IM.
Old 01-12-2006, 04:03 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by Zivman
rumor on the street is that as of the new yr the pricing has gone up on TN kits across the board, not just at IM.
It has and that price has been reflected on most dealers webpage. I know MOssy Perofrmance updated the pricing on their page already...
Old 01-12-2006, 04:51 PM
INTENSEPOWER
Vendor - Former Vendor

Hello,

It's not that the pricing for Turbonetics has gone up, it's that starting this year Turbonetics is enforcing MAP pricing (minimum advertised pricing). We have always adhered to their MAP pricing, while almost every other dealer has not. Turbonetics had never enforced their MAP pricing until this year, and it will be interesting to see if they do now. Basically, there were vendors that were fighting over making $50.00 on a $6k turbo kit.....
Old 01-12-2006, 05:48 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rppngears
I don't buy Greddy products. In my opinion they rush kits to market to get the edge on everyone else, but don't spend the time to do proper engineering and testing. They also lower there price by not including everything you need with the kit. So it appears as though it costs less, but you end up spending just as much in the long run, or else risk damaging components. And from personal experience, they don't stand behind their work.

Turbonetics, on the other hand, is a great company with great, and complete products.

The only Greddy product that was incomplete was the 350Z kit. I agree it was rushed, but its price reflects the fact that a few extras are needed to make it safe. If you look at the Honda Greddy kits, they are nicely configured, for instance.

The 350Z set a whole new standard for bolt-ons, due to the complexity of the ECU, and the tight confines of the engine bay. They were the first to market with a turbo kit, and unfortuantely, many people learned the hard way that the basic kit is less than safe. But these days, nearly everyone knows how to make the kits safe, and we dont even sell the kits without informing customers of all of the items needed for safe operation.

I do agree that Greddy CS is lacking, but that is where the good dealers step in to provide the service. We help anyone that calls, even if they havent bought their kit from us. Even overseas shops call us for advise...its all good.

IMHO, its a terrific "tuner twin" package.
Old 01-12-2006, 05:54 PM
zman1910

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
The only Greddy product that was incomplete was the 350Z kit. I agree it was rushed, but its price reflects the fact that a few extras are needed to make it safe. If you look at the Honda Greddy kits, they are nicely configured, for instance.

The 350Z set a whole new standard for bolt-ons, due to the complexity of the ECU, and the tight confines of the engine bay. They were the first to market with a turbo kit, and unfortuantely, many people learned the hard way that the basic kit is less than safe. But these days, nearly everyone knows how to make the kits safe, and we dont even sell the kits without informing customers of all of the items needed for safe operation.

I do agree that Greddy CS is lacking, but that is where the good dealers step in to provide the service. We help anyone that calls, even if they havent bought their kit from us. Even overseas shops call us for advise...its all good.

IMHO, its a terrific "tuner twin" package.
Sharif - are you saying that even if the kit runs at the Greddy recommended 5.6 psi... the kit is still unsafe?
Old 01-12-2006, 06:02 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BobbyRitz
Hmmm...turbo didn't quiet your exhaust?
Nope. Going from true dual with test-pipes to this single full Ti-which is louder than stainless and with NO resonator I can honestly say my car is just as loud as NA, but in a different tone.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:56 PM
YBLegal

can anyone take some pictures of underbody.. i know TN is single turbo .. it only has one downpipe right? hows the exhaust configured? VS twin turbo
Thanks
Old 01-13-2006, 03:34 AM
Zilvia

twin turbo works the same as N/A as you run of the exhuast manifold to the test pipes/ cats then to the ypip or if you have TD it runs all the way back

single is diff cause you only use one turbo, one test pip/cat, usually a single exhuast , or a custom fab revo t-pipe for a TD
Old 01-13-2006, 04:54 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by YBLegal
can anyone take some pictures of underbody.. i know TN is single turbo .. it only has one downpipe right? hows the exhaust configured? VS twin turbo
Thanks
Go look in my TN thread. Many pics there, some of the underbody showing how the piping is routed...
Old 01-13-2006, 06:00 AM
buho62

How long do this kits last?
Are the that reliable for everyday drive?
or will it start giving problems in a couple of years?
Old 01-13-2006, 06:05 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sharif - are you saying that even if the kit runs at the Greddy recommended 5.6 psi... the kit is still unsafe?
On 91 octane fuel, they are definately unsafe, becuase there is no timing retard with the basic kit. On 93 octane fuel, most of the knocking goes away, however, there have been reports of blown motors, even at near stock boost levels with the out-of-the-box kit.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:35 AM
down_shift

Turbonetics.. Comes with everything you need in the package (prob going to be 1500 less after labor and all the missing parts in the Greddy)

The power delivery is different.. But I think it's a better mix out of the 2

Quick Reply: Greddy or Turbonetics.. I knew this would happen..