Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

A Remote Mount Turbo For 350z

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 07:14 AM
1G'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is funny i posted this in 2004 and got a bashing. seems ppl are a little more open to the idea now but look how they felt then

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction/99882-sts-turbo-2.html
Old 01-14-2006, 07:46 AM
Tweety-nator

I like the fact that since the turbo is mounted in the rear that our car's weight distribution will not be compromised, in fact actually enhanced with a couple more pounds added to the rear.

Hopefully the guys from STS will post in this thread and address the concerns of lag, turbo exposure to elements etc. Looks like a promising design.
Old 01-14-2006, 07:53 AM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1G'
This is funny i posted this in 2004 and got a bashing. seems ppl are a little more open to the idea now but look how they felt then

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99882&page=2
haha, i love my professionalism back then!

Reading that... I still pretty much stand in the same place on it... only with less aggression!

I wouldnt say it works great, but it certainly works.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:00 AM
Jergens

I have a question... why is everyone saying that it should cost 2k or 4k or whatever numbers you all are throwing out? It's a turbo system... what about it being in the rear should make it cheaper? The fact that it isn't conventional? I'm not being an ***... I am truly curious. Plus if it is actually much easier to install I think that is the appeal if you have reduced budget in mind. It sounds like it could work. I'm not swapping out my APS ST for one, but I'd love to see what they can do with a Z. The weight in the back would help a lot of people with traction issues due to not enough rear rubber etc which would be nice.

~Josh
Old 01-14-2006, 09:17 AM
mr_hanky

this is the stupidest idea I have ever seen. Their marketting tactics are great and are good for suckering in those that dont know better.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:12 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by mr_hanky
this is the stupidest idea I have ever seen. Their marketting tactics are great and are good for suckering in those that dont know better.
And this comment is based on what factual observations on your end?
Old 01-14-2006, 11:03 AM
mr_hanky

Significantly extra piping and weight added just to put the turbo at the rear. JETPILOT exploited accurately their misleading information in his first response. From an engineering standpoint it is not efficient. From a marketting standpoint it is genious.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:43 AM
1G'

Originally Posted by phunk
haha, i love my professionalism back then!

Reading that... I still pretty much stand in the same place on it... only with less aggression!

I wouldnt say it works great, but it certainly works.

HAHAHAHAHA no big deal Phunk!!!

but i did laugh when i found that post.
Old 01-16-2006, 05:30 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

In actuality the Turbonetics kit is technically a "remote mount" style turbo kit as it does not attatched directly to the manifold like other turbo kits,but mounts up near the headlight.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:22 AM
Acree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mr_hanky
Significantly extra piping and weight added just to put the turbo at the rear. JETPILOT exploited accurately their misleading information in his first response. From an engineering standpoint it is not efficient. From a marketting standpoint it is genious.

Hah, let me be the first one to say sir, I think your statement is misleading. If you're going to add a turbo, why would putting the weight on the rear of car be a bad thing? Last time I checked, our car is weight biased towards the front. Therefore, adding weight to the rear of the vehicle would help balance out the car, improving traction, and cornering. And, if you think all the weight is from piping, take a look at a complete picture of any of the twin or single turbo kits. I can guarantee you that the overall length of pipe between one of the those kits, and the remote mount kit is atleast 80% of this kit.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:34 AM
ChromeZilver

I've seen and driven this system on a buddy's Camaro SS and it works and works well. I am interested to see how the Z handles it and what the kit produces. I hear that pricing is not set, it's much too early but what was posted was just that Rep's guess of what it may be (based off their existing kits). They say they haven't nailed down a tune solution so who know's what it might be, also kit release dates are up in the air but I have an in and will keep you all posted
Old 01-31-2006, 06:31 PM
k3silk

needs some more updates on this kit anyone know anything???
Old 02-14-2006, 02:43 PM
CpraceZ

not to bring a old subject back up

Just wanted to give you guys an Idea of what STS is all about recently we did this custom setup on a mustang pretty much it was a universal kit we did all the piping and welding in house. The numbers the car made where incredible not necessary how much power it made but the power band was insane it made great low end power and just kept carrying. They have a great setup going on here. The 350z kit will be out in a few months can't wait to see what it does.

http://www.ststurbo.com/dvanz_motorsports
Old 02-14-2006, 04:16 PM
k3silk

nice work im waiting to see how it turns out alot of people here on this site are talking alot of crap about something many dont know about it will be funny to see what happens and if things turn out good how many people will be jumping on the band wagon.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:00 PM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to say that it is a unique idea. But numbers are what will do the proving. I think that there are quite a bit of interesting ideas behind this kit and I have heard about Squire before and have heard good things about them. I guess we will have to wait and see.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:34 AM
ChromeZilver

It says "twin turbo" on their website but I hear it may end up a large single. Which would you guys prefer? There's a lot of rumor floating around. I was told that they're finishing up with a C6 kit and after that the Z goes up.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:01 AM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Sounds good, reality may be different, we have many choices now, so price/performance ratio now becomes a greater factor.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:08 AM
Zilvia

man that C5 TT vette sounds sick *** sht
Old 02-15-2006, 10:42 AM
MIAPLAYA

Issues I see with this setup:
(1)Road debris damaging turbo. You can say when was the last time I bottomed out my exhaust but just last week I was sandwhiched by two semis and I HAD to run over some crap on the freeway that MANGLED my muffler. If it could happen to that the turbo is certainly not safe. Especially if you are using a large sized turbo. Turbos aren't as cheap as mufflers to replace
(2)Environmental effect on the turbo. In Florida for SURE and several other states you are frequently forced to drive your car into some pretty deep puddles. Ever seen what happens to a 600-700 degree cast turbine housing when you drop it in room temp water? To add to that what happens if you suck water into the compressor inlet. Say goodbye compressor blades.. Again replacing turbos isn't cheap
(3)Lack of intercooling..in any state that has frequent hot days the heat radiating from the pavement is hotter then the ambient hot air in front of the car. Ditto at that track...so much for keeping charge temps even close to cool
(4)Lubrication... So basically you are going to run an oil feed line from the FRONT of the motor to the turbo bearing and then a return line which undoubtly will need a scavenge pump all the way back. Does this sound like WAY too many places for failure to anyone else?
Old 02-15-2006, 11:38 AM
Zilvia

again build a protection plate or dont lower your car..........if a Z06 vette can run a STS than a z certainly can......

there isnt a design out yet so thres no telling how low it sits....but STS have been around for a while, so doubt they would do something that is safe or practicle

Quick Reply: A Remote Mount Turbo For 350z