Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

A Remote Mount Turbo For 350z

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 08:02 PM
silent_26

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Remote Mount Turbo For 350z

I previously done some research to find the best turbo systems out there, and I been seeing alot of squires turbo products which is a rear mount turbo assembly that creates a huge difference with the traditional way of having it in the bay...i was wondering has anyone done this on there 350z yet? the story is that they were making it for the 350z because the bay being cramp and 2nd the 350z would be the best car to put it in!

I haves link they have videos of cars with them on... niceeeee

www.ststurbo.com

Last edited by silent_26; 01-11-2006 at 08:03 PM. Reason: bolding
Old 01-11-2006, 08:06 PM
Tsex On 19s

That looks good, any expectations for the z.. and how much is this going to cost?
Old 01-11-2006, 08:08 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by silent_26
I previously done some research to find the best turbo systems out there, and I been seeing alot of squires turbo products which is a rear mount turbo assembly that creates a huge difference with the traditional way of having it in the bay...i was wondering has anyone done this on there 350z yet? the story is that they were making it for the 350z because the bay being cramp and 2nd the 350z would be the best car to put it in!

I haves link they have videos of cars with them on... niceeeee

www.ststurbo.com
You work for Squire Turbo Systems? Seems like it, seeing how this is your 2nd post...We talked with STS and we were told they were working on a system for the 350Z in 2006 but did not even start on development..Seems like a good alternative for a single turbo system and the Domestic applications work well..
Old 01-11-2006, 09:12 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems like a good alternative for a single turbo system....
Are you kidding? Are you working for STS? Did they pay you to say that?

I like some of their positive points on their website........

Ease of installation. STS turbo systems can be installed in about 8 hours with standard tools and average mechanical ability. Great !!

No need for major modifications to your vehicle. STS systems are designed to "bolt-on" to factory mounts. Oh yeah the factory turbo mount nextto the muffler.

Increased gas mileage. Unlike a belt driven supercharger, the turbo utilizes "wasted" energy leaving your tailpipe. Most of our customers get 1-3 mpg increase in gas mileage. Yeah..... Sure !!!!!

Converts back to stock in about an hour. But takes 8 hours to install ?????

Approximately 500F lower turbo temperatures. Eliminates the need for a turbo-timer, which allows the engine to run after the car is shut off in order to cool down the turbo and prevent oil and bearing damage. I thought Turbo's were more efficient when hot !!!!

Denser exhaust gasses drive the turbo turbine wheel more efficiently. Huh??????

Built-in intercooling. Intake piping provides ~50% intercooler efficiency. There is no need for the expense, pressure drop, and installation problems associated with a front mounted intercooler. Built in exhaust cooling too.

Turbo is exposed to ambient air rather than underhood air. Allows for better cooling of turbo components. Turbo compnents don't want to be cool.

Better weight transfer. Increases traction because the bulk of system is mounted in rear of vehicle rather than up front. Got to love that weight transfer....

Respect
JET

Last edited by JETPILOT; 01-11-2006 at 09:23 PM.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:22 PM
plumpzz

My friend is getting a rear mount for his WS6. Seems they're real popular in domestics. He says lag is increased but theres no worry of melting wires or heat problems. A duct can be made which can cool everything
Old 01-11-2006, 09:41 PM
Daytona350Texas

It says it sppols as a reg turbo does? but im curious where the Bov is then mounted? typically its on the tubing or right after turbo no? so do you have your bov under the car? or back in the engine bay? and also i heard no shifting in any of the videos so what exactly will the spool sound like...? sorry but 1 of my reasons for turbo over SC is the spool and blow off, i dont like the constant whistle and thats what it sounds like WOT on these vehicles...
Old 01-12-2006, 02:19 AM
Acree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like a promising idea. It says on the website that all of their systems have full boost under 3000rpm. Pffft, riiiiiight.

@Daytona - Any reason you have MY car as your avatar?
Old 01-12-2006, 04:24 AM
BoOsTedz33TT

I dont get it??? Isnt the APS ST kit a rear mount?? It bolts on underneath the car, Turbo thats underneath my car lol, first big speed bump im screwed

EDIT: just saw the video,,Umm to much lag for my taste

Last edited by BoOsTedz33TT; 01-12-2006 at 04:30 AM.
Old 01-12-2006, 05:12 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

We have seen quite a few of these kits at the track and they perform very well actually.The cost of one of these kits is average $3000 for a domestic application, and increases the hp by 60%!!!We actually have read some good reviews on these systems.
The whole concept of putting the turbo system under the rear of the car seems a bit akward to most,however it does provide for a cooler engine bay,since you do not have the heat of the turbo crammed into an already crammed engine bay. The spool up and lag is not all that noticable on these systems believe it or not. The Turbo actually mounts where your muffler mounts, and last time I checked the exhaust gasses reach your muffler in a fraction of a second not a week..lol
In theory they work and they have been pretty sucessful in the big V8 and deisel market.We are very interested to see what they do in the v6 market..
What alot of people dont understand is that this system actually does work,it might not be pretty or blingy,but it does work..We have seen some VERY fast Camaros and Vettes at the track sporting this system..Go talk to them about turbo lag..
I think by the time you facter in all the intricate piping and bends the exhaust gasses have to flow through on an APS or TN single kit to go from the manifold to the intercooler then to the turbo, you may actually be pretty close in the actual length and volume of piping the charge has to flow through,before it spools and reaches the motor.So actually you may wind up with similar if not better spool up response..Theoredically..

WWW.RACEMRC.COM
For your 350z/G35 performance needs.
Authorized Turbo XS UTEC distributors
Authorized Dyno Dynamics load based tunning facility comming 3/06!!
Authorizes Greddy Dealer/Installer
Authorized GTSPEC dealer
Authorized Unlimited Tuning Revolution dealer
Authorized Speed Force Racing Dealer

Email: Sales@racemrc.com
AIM: salesmrc
Phone: 732-251-8200
Mobile: 732-558-4560
MRC MOTORSPORTS
116 Main St.
Spotswood NJ 08884
Old 01-12-2006, 06:10 AM
EM-EFER

I'd run it... Esp since it has a EO#.. thats pretty big

Last edited by EM-EFER; 01-12-2006 at 06:14 AM.
Old 01-12-2006, 06:31 AM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

we put one on a viper once.. stock engine and everything just some rocker arm upgrades, MoTec EMS, and a fuel system... very interesting shape for a powerband on a Viper. Its my dentists car, he drives it every day and he loves it..

http://www.svspower.com/images/uploa...udy_19_216.jpg

definatly a hair laggy but the car has so much torque anyway it actually drives very smooth and helps it keep traction. This was the first and only one we ever did, perhaps with some playing around on the turbo specs we could have got the powerband to be more flat?
Old 01-12-2006, 06:53 AM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Cost will be the Big Factor in this kits success. I would pay no more than $2500 for such a kit, complete, considering the cost of other traditional turbo and super charger kits on the market.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:40 AM
Zilvia

they are awesome sytems

but ive only seen them on Integras and Camaros

but it would be nice to see one on a Z
Old 01-12-2006, 08:13 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Very interesting I had never even heard of something like this before. Cheap too, $4000 gets you 500+whp @ 8psi in an LS1 F-body....thanks for sharing.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:37 AM
narkotic

They actually came to this board about a year or so ago and advertised... They didn't get very far with all the ignorant people here bashing their ideas... True most of their "marketing hype (denser exhaust, etc)" is b/s, but it definately works.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:38 AM
Daytona350Texas

Originally Posted by Acree
Looks like a promising idea. It says on the website that all of their systems have full boost under 3000rpm. Pffft, riiiiiight.

@Daytona - Any reason you have MY car as your avatar?
i didnt remember i got it from you... i thought it was one off of the clear corners site, either way if u want me to take it off i will np
Old 01-12-2006, 09:32 AM
Dragonacc

I've never seen a remote mount system in person, but in pictures it looks like the turbo would get rain water on it really easily. Is there some kind of shield that goes over the turbo that they take off for the pictures or what? I imagine splashing water on a hot turbo wouldn't be too good for it.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:35 AM
Zilvia

you could prolly fab a shield to go over it.or jsut not drive it in the rain

or just make sure everthing is super tight so no water gets in
Old 01-12-2006, 09:38 AM
chimmike

it's not hard to get 500whp on an LS1 with boost....I don't see why the hype is so big.

1) Fit that under a Z, and one of the first few people with the kit will bottom out somewhere and eff it all up.

2) It sucks in air from near the rear tires, which means the filter will get dirty as hell, FAST, and probably ruin the turbo quick.

3) it's gonna be laggy. We don't have nearly 5.7L of displacement to spool it, and there's plenty of exhaust piping between the headers and the turbo to cool the exhaust charge down. What makes a turbo spool is primarily THERMAL EXPANSION, not exhaust flow. The less thermal expansion, the slower the spool.

4) it's pretty much the cheapie way of trying to do a kit right. No intercooler? Sorry, but summers in FL, the road heat under the car is still gonna heat up that intake piping like a ***** and probably cause detonation issues, so, you'll never see me with forced induction on a Z without a good intercooler.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:39 AM
chimmike

Originally Posted by Dragonacc
I've never seen a remote mount system in person, but in pictures it looks like the turbo would get rain water on it really easily. Is there some kind of shield that goes over the turbo that they take off for the pictures or what? I imagine splashing water on a hot turbo wouldn't be too good for it.

no, you're right, the turbos do get wet, dirty, and don't last as long as they would under the hood, because they're directly exposed to the elements (turbos aren't meant to be exposed directly like that, btw)

Quick Reply: A Remote Mount Turbo For 350z