Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Turbo Blanket Fitment?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 08:54 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Turbo Blanket Fitment?

Will either of these turbo blankets fit the TN turbo? I'm not familiar with these turbo's listed to cross referencer size.

http://www.mvpmotorsports.com/Templa...CatalogID=6289

Respect
JET
Old 01-14-2006, 10:52 AM
plumpzz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

White i believe. Check on the matrix sheet TN has on their website
Old 01-14-2006, 02:12 PM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT

you really think thats any better than the heat shield that TN provides?

My shop was going to put a blanket on the turbo until they saw the heat shield that came with the kit and decided just to use that.
Old 01-14-2006, 02:42 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have one on my Grand National and it is amazing. Much better than the shield. The shield doesn't cover the whole turbo, and still allows it to radiate heat into the engine compartment. The blanket completely insulates the turbo. Much better.

Respect
JET
Old 01-15-2006, 03:03 PM
ZPHILE

Seems others don't have issues with a turbo blanket, I guess. But just wondering, is it possible that the blanket can make the turbo itself hotter and thus causing issues???
Old 01-15-2006, 03:13 PM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
I have one on my Grand National and it is amazing. Much better than the shield. The shield doesn't cover the whole turbo, and still allows it to radiate heat into the engine compartment. The blanket completely insulates the turbo. Much better.

Respect
JET

interesting. Might have to look into one. That corner of the car gets pretty hot in the summer. Post up the info and pics when you do it.
Old 01-15-2006, 03:15 PM
MIAPLAYA

You might also consider sending the turbine housing out for coating. Swain Tech or Jethot...it would drop the temps from it DRASTICALLY. If of course you have alternated transportation..
Old 01-15-2006, 04:11 PM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT

Yeah I would like to get the housing coated from swain (and piping too) but the shop says its a fair amount of work to remove/reinstall all that. I might entertain it if the WG fix comes out and that requires piping replacement.
Does that make sense?
Old 01-15-2006, 04:27 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by 35ounces
Yeah I would like to get the housing coated from swain (and piping too) but the shop says its a fair amount of work to remove/reinstall all that. I might entertain it if the WG fix comes out and that requires piping replacement.
Does that make sense?
Yeah it does...I may be removing everything on my car in the next couple weeks and just biting the bullet and sending everything out to Swain Tech...
Old 01-15-2006, 05:47 PM
taurran

I've been thinking of getting one of these for a long time. I don't really feel like dismantling my kit and the turbine housing just to coat the thing. I haven't found any turbo blankets that will definitely work with the 60-1 though.
Old 01-15-2006, 05:49 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by taurran
I've been thinking of getting one of these for a long time. I don't really feel like dismantling my kit and the turbine housing just to coat the thing. I haven't found any turbo blankets that will definitely work with the 60-1 though.
Any blanket that will fit a T3 or T4 turbine should fit that turbine side. The turbine included on this 60-1 is an oversized version of a T3 (Stage V being the designation) just barely smaller then a T4 turbine section... You can get the exact outer measurements of it from www.turboneticsinc.com
Old 01-15-2006, 05:54 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Any blanket that will fit a T3 or T4 turbine should fit that turbine side. The turbine included on this 60-1 is an oversized version of a T3 (Stage V being the designation) just barely smaller then a T4 turbine section... You can get the exact outer measurements of it from www.turboneticsinc.com

Actually, I should have stated that I was more interested as to if it would fit overall. Its pretty close proximity in there with the intake pipe, etc. The blanket Jet linked looks sweet though, but I'm not sure if it's worth the $150 they're charging for it. Anyone care to be the guinea pig?
Old 01-15-2006, 05:55 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by taurran
Actually, I should have stated that I was more interested as to if it would fit overall. Its pretty close proximity in there with the intake pipe, etc. The blanket Jet linked looks sweet though, but I'm not sure if it's worth the $150 they're charging for it. Anyone care to be the guinea pig?
I believe the one he linked is the Boost Logic one and yes it should fit fine. It is pretty expensive...
Old 01-20-2006, 09:45 AM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT

Do you guys know much about the Swain Tech coating? Have you seen it first hand?
I was talking tot he shop today about having the housing and pipes sent out to coat. One of the guys highly recommended Swain Tech but another said the material looked bad and can flake off?
Old 01-20-2006, 12:15 PM
chimmike

Originally Posted by 35ounces
Do you guys know much about the Swain Tech coating? Have you seen it first hand?
I was talking tot he shop today about having the housing and pipes sent out to coat. One of the guys highly recommended Swain Tech but another said the material looked bad and can flake off?
i've never seen swain or any thermal type coat flake off. They don't keep that brand new look once they're really heated like crazy, but swain and jet hot coats among others are excellent....but still I say a blanket or wrap is the best bet for absolute temp reduction.

swain coating will help spoolup more than anything simply by keeping the thermal energy in the exhaust track instead of leeching off to the turbine housing or downpipe, etc.
Old 01-20-2006, 05:03 PM
DBZ33

Can someone buy this and try it. It would be great if it works on our TN kit.