Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

UTEC questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 04:28 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by marks350Z
Is there a way to control Idle with an 04 Z and the UTEC?
My Z has JWT cams, 750cc injectors, greddy TT, fuel return, and built bottom end. It is running...but idles like ****, and it is way RICH!!! 9.0 on AEM and Tuner pro wideband. I don't think the injector scaling works with the UTEC... is that correct?
Are you running a UTEC right now?

To answer your original question, the UTEC cannot raise or control the idle.

You can scale the injectors with the UTEC under the open loop fueling parameters section. In some cases, you might achieve better results by subtracting fuel from the 0% load column. 750cc injectors are huge, and you are going to need to get creative with fuel pressure (lower it), and injector scaling/tuning.
Old 02-03-2006, 05:09 PM
zownz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someone should make this sticky..i ordered my UTEC today..and right now i just hope that the maps on it will work great with my set-up..but i would like to tune it eventually..and i already have the AEM A/F...
This maybe sounds stupid...but why cant you just connect the wideband to it? Like you would without it
someone explain it to me..
Old 02-03-2006, 07:07 PM
marks350Z

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Are you running a UTEC right now?

To answer your original question, the UTEC cannot raise or control the idle.

You can scale the injectors with the UTEC under the open loop fueling parameters section. In some cases, you might achieve better results by subtracting fuel from the 0% load column. 750cc injectors are huge, and you are going to need to get creative with fuel pressure (lower it), and injector scaling/tuning.

Yes, I'm running the UTEC right now. We have been playing with the 0% column... We can get it to Idle o.k. for about 10minutes, but when you rev the engine and the rpm fall ...it will die.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:00 PM
zownz

Has anyone used the maps that were provided by UTEC?
could ya tell gains and how much are they?
Old 02-03-2006, 08:22 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by marks350Z
Yes, I'm running the UTEC right now. We have been playing with the 0% column... We can get it to Idle o.k. for about 10minutes, but when you rev the engine and the rpm fall ...it will die.
What fuel pressure are you running at idle, with the vaccum line attached?

I tuned a UTEC TT car with 650cc injectors, and cams, and it wouldnt not hold an idle very well either. The customer is sending out the ECU for TS to raise the idle to 1100rpm, just to be certain it will idle properly.

Like many mods on the VQ35, some cars respond perfectly, and others do not. I have tuned cars with 650cc injectors that idled perfectly, and others that will fall on their face. Same settings...different result.

If reducing your fuel pressure doesnt help, I think its time for a TS reflash.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:38 PM
marks350Z

Thanks for the help Sheriff...This just sucks...I am so close...my car has been in the shop for 3.5 months. I've spent a lot of money and I really don't want to spend more money on a reflash.... I bought the UTEC because I thought it had more control than this....hopefully they will come up with something soon to fix this problem!
Old 02-03-2006, 08:40 PM
KTaylor

I tuned a UTEC TT car with 650cc injectors, and cams, and it wouldnt not hold an idle very well either. The customer is sending out the ECU for TS to raise the idle to 1100rpm, just to be certain it will idle properly.
its workin pretty well now with the reflash and idling around 1200 rpms. makes the car alot easier to drive
Old 02-04-2006, 05:48 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

We had a car with cams that refused to idle after a rev.When you add cams and especially with head work, you need to tune the car at idle and probably raise the idle, which the future software upgrade of the UTEC will allow you to do..You dot need a expensive reflash in the mean time, just have a local dealer bump the idle with the consult..
Old 02-04-2006, 05:51 AM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT
Premier Member

Originally Posted by zownz
Someone should make this sticky..i ordered my UTEC today..and right now i just hope that the maps on it will work great with my set-up..but i would like to tune it eventually..and i already have the AEM A/F...
This maybe sounds stupid...but why cant you just connect the wideband to it? Like you would without it
someone explain it to me..
I would NOT recommend using base maps without getting tuned. That is just asking for trouble. If you don't want to blow your engine get tuned immediately. The base maps are just intended as a place to start for your tuner.
As far as the wideband, the UTEC has an interface for its own wideband (Tuner/Tuner Pro) units for logging only. But that is not required. You can still use your AEM wideband in the car of course you just can't have the UTEC use it for logging.
Old 02-04-2006, 11:36 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
You dot need a expensive reflash in the mean time, just have a local dealer bump the idle with the consult..
The consult can only raise the idle to roughly 850rpm max. KTaylor tried this on his car, and the consult didnt do the trick...so reflash was the only option....assuming you already tried reducing fuel pressure.

If your engine just periodically stalls out, then the consult idle bump might work. But in cases where the engine idles horribly, your only option is a reflash. I hope TXS adds idle increase functionality soon.

Last edited by Sharif@Forged; 02-04-2006 at 11:39 AM.
Old 02-04-2006, 11:43 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

The consult can only raise the idle to roughly 850rpm max. KTaylor tried this on his car, and the consult didnt do the trick...so reflash was the only option....assuming you already tried reducing fuel pressure.

If your engine just periodically stalls out, then the consult idle bump might work. But in cases where the engine idles horribly, your only option is a reflash. I hope TXS adds idle increase functionality soon.
Did you trim fuel in the 0% column??That worked fine for us on 750cc's, we just stalled periodically from the cams loosing vacume..
Old 02-04-2006, 11:46 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
Did you trim fuel in the 0% column??That worked fine for us on 750cc's, we just stalled periodically from the cams loosing vacume..
Of course. Some of these motors are hit or miss. Some idle fine, and others are more challenging to steady out the idle. The motor also has low compression pistons, cams, etc...all the things that can contribute to poor idles.