Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Project Double Down: From Start to Finish (Part Two)

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 05:40 AM
overZealous1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well the trip begins in about 10 minutes. managed to fit 2 full exhausts in my Z, lol.looking forward to meeting ya mike, and mike at VRT also. see ya on friday!
Old 02-23-2006, 08:34 AM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Originally Posted by overZealous1
well the trip begins in about 10 minutes. managed to fit 2 full exhausts in my Z, lol.looking forward to meeting ya mike, and mike at VRT also. see ya on friday!
Sweet! Drive careful!
Old 02-23-2006, 10:49 AM
Zilvia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah, VRT gonna have to make a new video of all the cars tearing it up.......
Old 02-23-2006, 11:57 AM
Eagle1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am signed up for time attack as well. Should be good fun. Some hot cars there. Good drivers too.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:17 PM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Originally Posted by Eagle1
I am signed up for time attack as well. Should be good fun. Some hot cars there. Good drivers too.
Nice! That event is going to be fun. Should be a good shot at getting a picture in Modified Magazine as well. I just want to get back on a track.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:29 PM
Eagle1

I need a speed "fix" so bad that I am about to pop a gasket if I do not get out there on the track.
The testing session at Streets was just that, a testing session. Hopefully by Fontana the set up will be dialed in well enough that we can take the leash off.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:34 PM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Haha yep, but you have had one more testing session than I have lol. I haven't been on a track since October.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:02 PM
knight_white99

I'm going have to see if I can catch a draft behind you guys... That's the only way I'll be able to keep up!!!
Old 02-23-2006, 01:43 PM
Eagle1

Originally Posted by knight_white99
I'm going have to see if I can catch a draft behind you guys... That's the only way I'll be able to keep up!!!
I sniff a "set up" with that one....especially with the signature! Hey this is an infield track set up, and hp is nice, but this is really going to be a "driver" skill oriented course. But good try (lol!).

Mike B: This is really just a second testing on the suspension and motor. But a much more vigorous one. IF it works out, then I am prepared to take the car to a high HP course (maybe Thunderhill) and unleash it a bit more. That is not to say that the infield course at CS is not plenty....because it is. (Two gents from San Diego were tragically killed there in a Porsche GT last year when they got in the grass track right on the infield straight and hit the k rail at the end of the straight sideways at 130+mph. So Be Careful!)

My thought is and has been to work this up in careful stages and while becoming accustomed to the power and handling of the car. (turbo really feels different than supercharger). Streets of Willow is a big go-kart track and really not for the G35. But an excellent forum to toss it around and see how it performs in very demanding slow to medium speeds. CalSpeedway infield is more of a road racing track, with two sections that deliver some real velocity in a high hp car, and some very nice driving challenges with four very interesting compound turns, and a diminishing radius fish-hook turn. This is a skill course, with some room for power.

With your higher horsepower, lighter weight (450lbs?) and shorter wheelbase, I think on this course I will be lucky to keep my view of your tailpipes for more than two laps! But that just means that after the event is over, you get to buy me the celebratory soda.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:49 PM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

I will buy you a celebratory soda either way Ed lol. I am taking this Time Attack as my first testing session, but hopefully I get the hang of it Saturday so I can go for time on Sunday.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:34 PM
Eagle1

We will just buy each other rounds until the carbonation builds to the point where the other patrons demand we leave!

Have you had any chance to tweak the suspension at all? The reason I ask is that on the street you just are not going to experience the handling demands (at least you sure should not!) that you do on the track. Therefore, it is likely that while the motor will probably perform brilliantly, and the car will feel "good" on the street, but the "tuning" that is necessary for the suspension can really only come from putting the car into the demands of a track, and then adjusting it based on what the car is doing at the limits, no matter how good the parts are. If so, then you need to be sure to bring the tools and have the time Saturday afternoon to do some tweaking with your sways, strut braces, springs and dampers, because it is almost certain that you will want to. I am pretty sure that Mike A and Scott are coming up with a couple of cars themselves, and probably some tools for just that adjusting should you need it.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:41 PM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Yeah I am bringing plenty of tools. The car will be corner balanced prior to the event and I will be running the camber specs that VRT used on their old convertible with the same size/brand tire. I will also be adjusting the sway bars to full stiff before the event as they are set on medium now from when I had skinnier tires. Hopefully that will be a good enough starting point and all I will have to mess with is maybe the dampning and possibly sway bars. I have more of an adaptive driving style and I learn pretty quickly so even if its a little quarky I hopefully can feel comfortable enough to push the limits by Sunday.
Old 02-23-2006, 03:11 PM
Eagle1

Sounds good. As long as it is close to neutral, and not major push, it should be fine, with a corner balance.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:38 AM
overZealous1

hey mike, nice to finally meet ya and hope you enjoy the exhaust. i can't wait to see the first dyno run #'s to see the gains. i am curious to see if you are going to lose much torque due to the use of the X pipe now. be sure to post the numbers!
special thanks to mike and scott at VRT for the use of the lift and help with the install also. you guys are true car freaks as evidenced by the 2am quit time we had, lol. from the way they treat their customers, these guys are top notch and anyone should trust them doing the work on their car, they have great knowledge on the Z/G!!
Old 02-27-2006, 08:30 AM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Hey Scott! I am glad you made it home ok. It was good meeting you too and that exhaust is awesome. I am going to write a review on it today and then post numbers when it gets dynoed late this week. I will also post a review of the motor mounts next week if VRT gets time to install them. Thanks for pulling that all nighter with me to get that exhaust on. It was worth it in the end!
Old 02-27-2006, 10:16 PM
WA2GOOD
Banned

hey mike, nice to finally meet ya and hope you enjoy the exhaust. i can't wait to see the first dyno run #'s to see the gains. i am curious to see if you are going to lose much torque due to the use of the X pipe now. be sure to post the numbers!
special thanks to mike and scott at VRT for the use of the lift and help with the install also. you guys are true car freaks as evidenced by the 2am quit time we had, lol. from the way they treat their customers, these guys are top notch and anyone should trust them doing the work on their car, they have great knowledge on the Z/G!!
Thanks for the complaments Scott, That exhaust looks nice and is of good quality. It was nice to finally meet you and drive up to the meet with you. Hope you can make it down here more often. I got your voice mail, and appreciate it. I am sure I will talk to you soon.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:47 PM
mraturbo
Banned

Bro,

Your exhaust is outstanding. Looks as sick as the HKS and the bends are topnotch for sure. We will have MB's car on the dyno ASAP. I have the rear end out switching the NISMO and new diff, as soon as it is in, HELLO DYNO...

Thanks again and we will work something out on a SC situation.

AND MB and EAGLE, you guys are going to be killing it at CalSpeedway...It will be funny watching you hook those beast up this weekend. LOL

M

Last edited by mraturbo; 02-27-2006 at 10:50 PM.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:25 PM
RedLeader

Mike-
Congrats on the big dyno numbers. I was on the phone with Scott at SVR a little while ago and heard about the big session you were having at Jim Wolfs. I guess he wasn't kidding about that exhaust flowing. He said you'd already hit 554hp/699tq and they were still tweaking! Can't wait to see the final outcome.

Bruce
Old 03-03-2006, 07:57 PM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Thanks Bruce! Yeah we did hit those numbers but stopped there. They could have tweaked it more, but we ran out of time. I am completely happy with those numbers though!
Old 03-03-2006, 08:00 PM
mraturbo
Banned

Originally Posted by 350ZNV
Thanks Bruce! Yeah we did hit those numbers but stopped there. They could have tweaked it more, but we ran out of time. I am completely happy with those numbers though!
Sorry, ONLY 690 FT/LBs...Over 450 FT/Lbs over the entire Powerband....YES...Clark at JWT wanted more, but we needed to Race her Saturday and Sunday....LOL

Last edited by mraturbo; 03-03-2006 at 08:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Project Double Down: From Start to Finish (Part Two)