Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

New Standards For Turbonetics!!! Dyno Graphs

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 05:41 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Did you ever finish your tuning to redline? Edit-nevermind are you doing your build up now?
Old 02-20-2006, 05:45 PM
D350Z10

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

YEa bummer Never got to tune to redline, because of the misfire ****. But now the engine is being built the whole 9 yards and final touches should be done 2nd week of march hopefully!! Got a car show march 4th so thats in the way... bummer.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:22 PM
taurran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by D350Z10
YEa bummer Never got to tune to redline, because of the misfire ****. But now the engine is being built the whole 9 yards and final touches should be done 2nd week of march hopefully!! Got a car show march 4th so thats in the way... bummer.
Nice. Keep us posted on your results.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:37 AM
jdx911

Impressive D350Z10. Congrats.

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
A couple of things I'd like to note on both injectors and exhaust. On Friday I watched Jim Wolf make 550 whp and 600+ ft/lb with an Injen exhaust and 440cc injectors. What does this tell us... Even with what is considered a small exhaust 550 is possible. Furthermore everyone seems so scared of running injetors to 100% but its being done on cars that see the all the time with just raising fuel pressure...so that being said if these cars are tracking like this just how dangerous is it really? Jim Wolf himself told me he's done that for a long time and lets just say he knows a thing or two about tuning cars..
Right thats what I mean. On the car Jim Wolf just tuned the injectors were maxxing VERY earlier. Jim just ran 4:1 fuel pressure and let the injectors go 100%. According to him theres nothing wrong with doing that..
It's a reliability issue.

Telling people its okay to run injectors at 100% duty cycle while running high fuel pressure is well... Bad advise. When raising fuel pressure it is even MORE critical not to let the fuel injectors go static (100% duty cycle). ANY fuel injector manufacturer will tell you not to exceed 80% - 85% duty cylce because of possible overheating. Remember fuel injectors open and close mechanically thus need to push against the fuel pressure to close. RC for example rates their injectors at 43psi, which is industry standard. Higher fuel pressure starts to affect the injectors open time, close time and/or flow rate. Most of the times you can get away with minor changes (~25%) and increase performance but if fuel pressure is too high this will adversely affect injector performance.

It will only take ONE time when your at WOT-full boost and your fuel injectors go static (100% duty cycle) and the fuel injectors hiccup or even lock-up... Catastrophic motor failure!

When running higher fuel pressure you should ABSOLUTELY not exceed 85% duty cycle.

Last edited by jdx911; 02-21-2006 at 12:41 AM.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:08 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by jdx911
Impressive D350Z10. Congrats.

It's a reliability issue.

Telling people its okay to run injectors at 100% duty cycle while running high fuel pressure is well... Bad advise. When raising fuel pressure it is even MORE critical not to let the fuel injectors go static (100% duty cycle). ANY fuel injector manufacturer will tell you not to exceed 80% - 85% duty cylce because of possible overheating. Remember fuel injectors open and close mechanically thus need to push against the fuel pressure to close. RC for example rates their injectors at 43psi, which is industry standard. Higher fuel pressure starts to affect the injectors open time, close time and/or flow rate. Most of the times you can get away with minor changes (~25%) and increase performance but if fuel pressure is too high this will adversely affect injector performance.

It will only take ONE time when your at WOT-full boost and your fuel injectors go static (100% duty cycle) and the fuel injectors hiccup or even lock-up... Catastrophic motor failure!

When running higher fuel pressure you should ABSOLUTELY not exceed 85% duty cycle.
I tend to agree with you. My point here is that Jim Wolf has obviously been doing this for a while and furthermore VRT tracks their cars quite frequently nad has yet to hit an issue. I'm not saying its ok to do it because they are but rather just providing food for thought. I tend to think that Jim Wolf knows a thing or two about tuning.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:03 AM
D350Z10

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.putfile.com/d350z
Theres one of the dyno vids, first trial run, My Z is in the middle, My buddy filmed it with the sti that had a boost leak.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:57 AM
jdx911

I tend to agree with you. My point here is that Jim Wolf has obviously been doing this for a while and furthermore VRT tracks their cars quite frequently nad has yet to hit an issue. I'm not saying its ok to do it because they are but rather just providing food for thought. I tend to think that Jim Wolf knows a thing or two about tuning.
Yes, Jim Wolf's credentials speak for themself and I am sure he knows what he is doing... but I think to error towards saftey is always the right thing to do especially when the cost is relatively cheap, such as fuel injectors.

Sorry for going off topic but we really never had a serious fuel injector discussion here.