Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Vortech Owners...Might want to check this

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 06:11 PM
ss350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just reversed the install of the pulley, but it didn't make of difference with the noise or smoothness in the blower. I noticed that with the pulley installed this way and the "wrong way" that the pulley rides on the spacer and not on the bolt (neither the threaded or non-threaded part). So I don't think it makes a difference which way you have the bolt.

On another note, i noticed that when i was tightening the bolt with the engine running, the blower started to make a louder noise and grumble as I torqued the bolt harder. Then I loosend it up (the torque on the bolt, not the tension in the belt) and it was smoother. So maybe you should try that.
Old 02-17-2006, 07:03 AM
freezeg35

Originally Posted by ss350
I just reversed the install of the pulley, but it didn't make of difference with the noise or smoothness in the blower. I noticed that with the pulley installed this way and the "wrong way" that the pulley rides on the spacer and not on the bolt (neither the threaded or non-threaded part). So I don't think it makes a difference which way you have the bolt.

On another note, i noticed that when i was tightening the bolt with the engine running, the blower started to make a louder noise and grumble as I torqued the bolt harder. Then I loosend it up (the torque on the bolt, not the tension in the belt) and it was smoother. So maybe you should try that.

I have mine installed with the possible "wrong way", but after reading ss350s comments, it seems it does not matter, anyone else got an opinion?
Old 02-17-2006, 08:08 AM
SungNamZ

Originally Posted by freezeg35
I have mine installed with the possible "wrong way", but after reading ss350s comments, it seems it does not matter, anyone else got an opinion?
Just got off the phone with Danny at Vortech's Technical Assistance Department. He stated that "The head of the bolt should be against the pulley. The diameter of the bolt at the head centers the pulley on the bolt and the head serves as a dust cover for the bearing".
Old 02-17-2006, 01:54 PM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there any trq spec's on that bolt ? From the instructions ?
Old 02-17-2006, 07:14 PM
SungNamZ

Originally Posted by booger
Is there any trq spec's on that bolt ? From the instructions ?
Bill .... Didn't get any torque specifications during my conversation with Vortech. The only specification I got was from Mariano at Vortech on Wednesday. "COG belt should twist 1/4" - 1/2". Closer to 1/4" than 1/2" "!
Old 02-18-2006, 07:35 AM
dixieland

OK - so i reversed the bolt as well. Didn't seem to make that big of a difference either. A couple of things though:
1) i have been tinkering with the tightness of this bolt as well as the tension on the belt. I believe i have tried the belt as tight as i am comfortable with (pretty darn close to the measurements recommendation from Vortech). Now i am getting a nice grumble in the blower as mentioned above. The grumbling does seem to come and go depending on where to adjust the tension of the belt. However, to get the blower to be quiet the tension has to be so slack as to make me very uncomfortable with running it this way. There is a lot of slack in the belt and i don't want it to work itself off. So up the tension again and live with the rumbling?

2) When i had the belt completely off, i can hand turn the lower gear coming out of the back of the blower. If i 'jiggle' the gear i can hear what i believe is the grumbling that it makes when the belt is attached coming from INSIDE the blower. It sounds like gears connecting with one another inside the blower. As i turn the gear slighlty back and forth you can hear these gears just at the slight end of the turn. (Darn i hope i am discribing this so you guys can understand what i am doing!) What do you think of this? Is this normal or are the mechanics inside my blower off? If anyone has their belt off completely can they try and jiggle that gear back and forth and see if you can get any play or noise? Any suggestions for finding the sweet spot between belt tension and bolt tightness?

3) On a different note, i was getting a very high squeaking noise out of the gear on the other end of the gilmer belt (not the tension pully but the higher one connect to the drive belt). Again, with the belt off, the pully had some play in it and made a horrible squeak. The bolt that was holding this pulley was loose enough to turn by hand! Althought the paint marking the installer marked on the bolt was still in line i tightened this bolt and the squeak went away.

Anybody got any feedback, experience, or point of views on this? Off to go get new tires!
Old 02-18-2006, 11:17 AM
booger

Originally Posted by SungNamZ
Bill .... Didn't get any torque specifications during my conversation with Vortech. The only specification I got was from Mariano at Vortech on Wednesday. "COG belt should twist 1/4" - 1/2". Closer to 1/4" than 1/2" "!
Much more tention on the cog than I thought . WAs that testing it on the top or bottom ?
Old 02-18-2006, 11:37 AM
SungNamZ

Originally Posted by booger
Much more tention on the cog than I thought . WAs that testing it on the top or bottom ?
More tension than most if not all of us have thought based on previous threads, posts and problems. Hard if not impossible to check on top. Might be more room for hands on the G35, but on the "Z" it is tight, but checked mine on the bottom.

Once the posts settle down after Sunday, will print and copy and send to Danny at Vortech Technical Department for review and/or comment. Also, the COG Belt is not something I was able to find at any automotive source. Ordered and received one from Vortech ($38.95 + S/H). "Googled" Gates, found number for Corporate Headquarters, called and got a number for a local source and purchased spare belt ($15.92 + Tax).
Old 02-19-2006, 01:27 PM
dixieland

SungNamz -
Until i have this figured out (my blower is making a strange noise that is somewhat embarrassing and i don't want to damage if something is wrong). Is there a danger to running without the belt for a while? I have to travel about 800 miles this week and am thinking about just removing the tension pulley and belt and running without until problem can be diagnosed by my tuner?
Old 02-19-2006, 02:02 PM
prescience

Originally Posted by dixieland
SungNamz -
Until i have this figured out (my blower is making a strange noise that is somewhat embarrassing and i don't want to damage if something is wrong). Is there a danger to running without the belt for a while? I have to travel about 800 miles this week and am thinking about just removing the tension pulley and belt and running without until problem can be diagnosed by my tuner?
This thread and Booger's post (on getting in done) may help to reassure

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction/154177-how-to-go-na-with-a-vortech.html
Old 02-19-2006, 06:14 PM
SungNamZ

Originally Posted by dixieland
SungNamz -
Assuming yours is wrong, it only takes a few minutes, assuming you have a 19mm and 17mm wrench available. If you are going to go the trouble of removing the COG belt and Tensioner Pulley, why not fix the problem?

Removing the COG belt means you are returning to NA, I would not want to make an 800 mile trip in that configuration. With the BLOWER not turning you are not pulling any air into the system.

Perhaps someone will also jump in and comment.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:00 PM
dixieland

I have reversed the bolt direction so that it is now in place as the directions state (with the head of the bolt to the rear of the vehicle and the washer/nut on the front side).
I have spent several hours trying to find the sweet spot between belt tension and bolt tightness and i am still getting an incredibly noisy rattling from inside the blower. Even worse than before i reversed the bolt.
I wish i could fix the problem
Old 02-19-2006, 10:08 PM
Barzten1

Hey Ron good find. Thanks for personally fixing mine. Glad we got my belts fixed too. I owe you............AGAIN!
Old 02-19-2006, 10:08 PM
Barzten1

Hey Ron good find. Thanks for personally fixing mine. Glad we got my belts fixed too. I owe you............AGAIN!
Old 02-20-2006, 04:36 AM
SungNamZ

When you put the pulley back on the bolt, did you insure the snap ring on the bearing inside the pulley is facing towards the head of the bolt and not the spacer? Belt tension? How much can you twist the belt?
Old 02-20-2006, 05:43 AM
dixieland

the snap ring is on the bolt head side -towards the rear of the car.
belt tension - it is as tight as i can get it. It twists very very close to the recommended 1/4, well less than 1/2.
The rumbling/rattling is coming from inside the blower at rpms less than 1000. I have a feeling it is still there over 1000, but just can't hear it from other engine noise at that RPM. I don't want to boost the idle rpms just to cover up an underlying problem.

Another thing i noticed when the belt was off was that the cog on the back of the blower itself does exact what g8tor20 shows in the video on the followig thread:
https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction/169134-vortech-owners-does-your-blower-do-this.html
Now, he has sent his to vortech and they looked and said everything was fine with the blower. That makes me rest a little easier but would like to find out how to rid the rumbling (keeping in mind that some noise is normal - but definately not this much). It sounds liek g8tor20 and i are having the EXACT same problems.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:54 AM
SungNamZ

Sorry! I sent a 14 page fax to Vortech that included everything on this thread. I will definately be calling them to get some comments on the different posts to include questions different members have had.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:16 AM
dixieland

Originally Posted by SungNamZ
Sorry! I sent a 14 page fax to Vortech that included everything on this thread. I will definately be calling them to get some comments on the different posts to include questions different members have had.
Thanks SungNamZ! Appreciate you following up with Vortech! I am sure there are plenty of us anxiously awaiting their response - hopefully (but doubtfully) they will have a magic bullet that will allow all of us to fix these things and actually enjoy driving again! Please keep us updated as to what they say.

Is it monday again already? Man i got to get some work done. This message board is like crack! Can't stay away!
Old 02-20-2006, 09:00 AM
zachcrosen

It looks lke mine is installed incorrectly as well. I noticed this at an AutoX event yesterday. Is there a trick to putting tension on the belt again or do I just push down in the pulley to put the tension on it. I really hate doing this kind of stuff!!
Old 02-20-2006, 10:22 AM
SungNamZ

Zach...it is an easy fix. Actually, with less play at the pulley I found it easier to tighten. Just push down on the pulley with an wrench on the bolt and nut and tighten. During my recent conversation with Vortech (i.e. Mariono), he advised minium 1/4" - maximum 1/2" twist on the COG belt. I sent them 14 pages of post, so will again confirm this.

Quick Reply: Vortech Owners...Might want to check this