Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Who is using Eagle Rods and over 550whp?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 11:56 PM
XBS
Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just curious, for all the people that replied to this thread saying that "eagles wont last" or they arent as good, what expeirance do you speak from, or is this just speculation and hearsay? Problem is on these forums there is a lot of BS from gossip, just trying to keep the BS out of this thread and the FACTS in. Thanks!

Old 02-16-2006, 04:31 AM
legend4life

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What size bolts do the eagles run? I remember reading for other applications that would be the cause of failure in high hp setups, and they then offered the option of larger rod bolts.

I think they would probably be fine at 600hp unless you detonate on them, then they might not make it. A really strong rod like Pauter or Carillo can probably withstand some detonation without damage. Forged pistons will be damaged from detonation but strong forged rods will still be okay, have seen it happen a few times.
Old 02-16-2006, 05:26 AM
Geovannie

3/8" ARP 2000 bolts.
Old 02-16-2006, 08:00 AM
IceY2K1Max

Get them...for $430/set on eBay, why not.
Old 02-16-2006, 08:03 AM
chimmike

if you have the eagles and are worried, cryo treat 'em for added strength.

Though, I've yet to see eagles fail over 550whp. I see this claim everywhere and I never see backup for the claim. I think it's just due to the price.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:15 AM
ReV2Red
I haz da turbos

Originally Posted by Nismo350ZRT
Of course you can compare them. The Eagle rods for the VQ engine are made with the same H-beam design and same forging process as the rods for those other motors. That is apples to apples.
Yes, your using the same material, same process, yada yada yada, but there still going into a different engine, and every engine has different characteristics. The rods for the VQ could be slighlty thinner, or be slightly longer, or the gugeon pin could be smaller, or different big end bearing diameter, there are loads of different variables, so no, its not apples for apples.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:21 AM
ReV2Red
I haz da turbos

Originally Posted by XBS
Just curious, for all the people that replied to this thread saying that "eagles wont last" or they arent as good, what expeirance do you speak from, or is this just speculation and hearsay? Problem is on these forums there is a lot of BS from gossip, just trying to keep the BS out of this thread and the FACTS in. Thanks!

Personally, i'm not speaking from experience, i don't know what they can go up to, this is just what i've heard.

Just to clear things up a bit, i never meant to diss the eagle rods, if anything i hope they can hold over 600whp, which is why i said good luck, that way i don't have to go all extreme with pauters or carillos.
Old 02-16-2006, 10:06 AM
XBS
Veteran

I appreciate everyons opinions and inputs, The rods have been ordered, I do drive my car hard as that is why i bought it. So if these rods last on my foot they are defenatly worthy! they will be seeing no less than 500whp and over 600whp quite a few times! Ill keep everyone posted!
Old 02-16-2006, 09:41 PM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Originally Posted by XBS
I appreciate everyons opinions and inputs, The rods have been ordered, I do drive my car hard as that is why i bought it. So if these rods last on my foot they are defenatly worthy! they will be seeing no less than 500whp and over 600whp quite a few times! Ill keep everyone posted!
i bet they'll be just fine!!! best of luck to you!!! this is where the pioneers begin
Old 02-16-2006, 10:09 PM
XBS
Veteran

Thanks bro! I appreciate it. We will see what happens. I forgot to mention beside being over 500whp they will also be seeing 8K rpms, so if i dont break them. I believe their sales are going to increase quite a bit, maybe i should buy some stock!
Old 02-16-2006, 10:14 PM
AmyCroft

Smile Eagle - Not traded

Family owned business, last I looked.. Call Jim's wife - she owns it all...

Give her mass quantities of Cash... You too can own a part of the dream...
Old 02-16-2006, 11:19 PM
Nismo350ZRT

Originally Posted by ReV2Red
Yes, your using the same material, same process, yada yada yada, but there still going into a different engine, and every engine has different characteristics. The rods for the VQ could be slighlty thinner, or be slightly longer, or the gugeon pin could be smaller, or different big end bearing diameter, there are loads of different variables, so no, its not apples for apples.
LMAO.

Right buddy, our VQ motor is somehow special and has weird rod specs that make it impossible to compare to the other motors. Just ignore the fact that the rods can handle 600+ whp in EVERY other motor out there. SGP has tested them up to 850hp in the 300zx and 1100hp in Supras. Eagle must be stupid and manufactured a weak rod just for the VQ.
Old 02-17-2006, 05:58 AM
ReV2Red
I haz da turbos

LMAO.

Right buddy, our VQ motor is somehow special and has weird rod specs that make it impossible to compare to the other motors. Just ignore the fact that the rods can handle 600+ whp in EVERY other motor out there. SGP has tested them up to 850hp in the 300zx and 1100hp in Supras. Eagle must be stupid and manufactured a weak rod just for the VQ.

If you had the smallest clue about engines, you would understand why i'm finding your coments so amusing.
I never said we had weird specs in our engine, i merely stated that every engine has different specs. Yes every engine worked under the same principle, but every engine has different tolerances.
Also, i never dissed the rods, i merely relayed what i heard from other people, so maybe if you would have read my previous coment you would have realised that. I'm glad they have managed big numbers on those cars, (both of which happen to be turbo from stock!!!) it only means they're is more to choose from.
Nobody said that Eagle were stupid.
Anyway like i was saying, i was never putting down the rods or saying they're crap, someone asked me a question, and i said what i had heard.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:10 AM
Nismo350ZRT

Originally Posted by ReV2Red

If you had the smallest clue about engines, you would understand why i'm finding your coments so amusing.
I never said we had weird specs in our engine, i merely stated that every engine has different specs. Yes every engine worked under the same principle, but every engine has different tolerances.
Also, i never dissed the rods, i merely relayed what i heard from other people, so maybe if you would have read my previous coment you would have realised that. I'm glad they have managed big numbers on those cars, (both of which happen to be turbo from stock!!!) it only means they're is more to choose from.
Nobody said that Eagle were stupid.
Anyway like i was saying, i was never putting down the rods or saying they're crap, someone asked me a question, and i said what i had heard.
Well, if you had the smallest clue about engineering you wouldn't be making such a ridiculous argument. Eagle manufactures all their H-beam rods with the exact same process and tolerances, hence their H-beam design specs. It's blatantly absurd of you to think the VQ rod would be any different. All the evidence about the capabilities of Eagle rods proves my point. I think it's absolutely hillarious that you dispute a major rod manufacturer and one of the most respected engine builders for the VQ.

BTW where is the evidence to support your worthless opinion? The thread starter said he wanted just the FACTS and no BS or hearsay. Apparently you can't read.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:19 AM
ReV2Red
I haz da turbos

Well, if you had the smallest clue about engineering you wouldn't be making such a ridiculous argument. Eagle manufactures all their H-beam rods with the exact same process and tolerances, hence their H-beam design specs. It's blatantly absurd of you to think the VQ rod would be any different. All the evidence about the capabilities of Eagle rods proves my point. I think it's absolutely hillarious that you dispute a major rod manufacturer and one of the most respected engine builders for the VQ.

BTW where is the evidence to support your worthless opinion? The thread starter said he wanted just the FACTS and no BS or hearsay. Apparently you can't read.
You knumb nuts!!! How can i get it through to your thick skull that i am not putting down the rods or saying that they are crap in any way. And how else to tell you that its not about the rod or the process its made, ITS ABOUT THE ENGINE!!!!
I honestly can't be a$$ed with you anymore, you're giving me a headache
Old 02-17-2006, 10:26 AM
ReV2Red
I haz da turbos

The last time i checked this forum was to help people out, share information and give ideas, maybe you need to start adopting a different attitude
Old 02-17-2006, 10:52 AM
nissansource

I think but no first hand experance that they are just heavy. not to sure just what i have heard from friends that build motors. i was going to grab myself a set also just havnt decided yet on what direction im going with this vq
Old 02-17-2006, 11:25 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by nissansource
I think but no first hand experance that they are just heavy. not to sure just what i have heard from friends that build motors. i was going to grab myself a set also just havnt decided yet on what direction im going with this vq

the eagles are considerably lighter than the pauters, but I do not know how they compare in weight to the stockers.
Old 02-17-2006, 01:26 PM
XBS
Veteran

Anything would be heaver than the stockers, The Eagles are more comparable to the Carrilo H-Beam rods, they are very similiar. The pauters are in their own group. The weight is very similiar too the Carrilos
Old 02-17-2006, 08:03 PM
johnlotusboy

I have a set of Eagle rods laying here. The big ends are 51grams lighter for the balance card and the small end is 9 grams heavier. These are end weights as delivered.
Even if the rods were in a motor that failed very few people on this forum could tell the true cause if the parts were in their hands.

Quick Reply: Who is using Eagle Rods and over 550whp?