Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Who is using Eagle Rods and over 550whp?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 11:49 AM
XBS
Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Who is using Eagle Rods and over 550whp?

Just wondering why no one is using eagle rods in their built motor. They are a H Beam rods like the carrilos. The price is very reasonable. Honestly I think no one has been purchasing these because since the price is so low, they are afraid it is because of the quality. I know they are made in china, but so what? mostly everything is and they inspect them when they come back before shipment to dealers.

I just want to know if anyone is running these rods in a High HP application, if not I guess im going to be the first and I will keep everyone updated!
Thanks!

-George
Old 02-15-2006, 01:12 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by XBS
Just wondering why no one is using eagle rods in their built motor. They are a H Beam rods like the carrilos. The price is very reasonable. Honestly I think no one has been purchasing these because since the price is so low, they are afraid it is because of the quality. I know they are made in china, but so what? mostly everything is and they inspect them when they come back before shipment to dealers.

I just want to know if anyone is running these rods in a High HP application, if not I guess im going to be the first and I will keep everyone updated!
Thanks!

-George
I am running them, however, due to fuel issues, I didn't get to the HP I had originally planned. I wouldn't worry about running them to 550 whp. They are holding much more power than that on the 300Zs and the other applications they have history with.
Old 02-15-2006, 01:16 PM
XBS
Veteran

I plan on taking them to over 600whp, I feel confident that they will hold. And would like to show everyone that for the price you cant beat them. They are light so should rev nicely. How do they feel on your motor?
Old 02-15-2006, 01:17 PM
Zivman

Originally Posted by XBS
I plan on taking them to over 600whp, I feel confident that they will hold. And would like to show everyone that for the price you cant beat them. They are light so should rev nicely. How do they feel on your motor?

what are the specs of your build?
Old 02-15-2006, 01:21 PM
ReV2Red
I haz da turbos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you guys do manage to push beyond the 550 -600 whp, without bending them, let me know, coz i've heard a lot about them struggling beyond 500. Good luck!
Old 02-15-2006, 01:47 PM
Zivman

Originally Posted by ReV2Red
If you guys do manage to push beyond the 550 -600 whp, without bending them, let me know, coz i've heard a lot about them struggling beyond 500. Good luck!
Eagle rods on 300ZX at 574.8 whp

Eagle rods on Prelude (4 cyl) at 538 whp

Eagle rods on Integra type R (4 cyl) at 550whp

Eagle rods on AMS Evo at over 800 whp without nitrous ----- Info Link

i could go on
Old 02-15-2006, 02:04 PM
Geovannie

I do know of a 350z in PR that destroyed a Eagle Rod however I'm not sure if that was a tuning issue or some other issue. It was in the 500hp range.

That is crazy that the AMS customer car is still running eagles. I would imagine at that power level it will not last long when it is actually on the street. You can't measure HP capabilities of a part on a dyno especially a dynojet.

Overall it is one of those things where if you really want to do it right you get Pauter or Carillos. Eagles are good but they are low budget rods which is why they are priced accordingly. For 500hp I would not have any problem doing Eagle rods. However anybody that says they want 500hp when they actually make that they went 600 and then they want 700. So I would just do it right so you only have to do it once.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:21 PM
ReV2Red
I haz da turbos

Originally Posted by Zivman
Yes, its the same company that make the rods, but they're for completely different engines. You cant compare a rod from a 300zx to one for a 350z, because they are different. Your not comparing apples with apples. Yes i could take a rod from a bus, and i'm pretty sure that'll hold a fair penny, but i cant stick that in a Z can I?
Old 02-15-2006, 02:29 PM
turismo

I am pretty sure there not going to make a rod that only supports 4-500hp. Hell you might as wll buy another stock set!
Old 02-15-2006, 02:33 PM
ReV2Red
I haz da turbos

You never know, after all they are a lot cheaper. Maybe they were'nt aiming at the power hungry 700-1000hp people, and they just wanted to produce a rod that was more reliable than the stockers, and good for the people that are only aiming at the 425 - 500 mark. Its not unheard of. Arias do it with their pistons dont they?
Old 02-15-2006, 02:59 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Originally Posted by Geovannie
That is crazy that the AMS customer car is still running eagles. I would imagine at that power level it will not last long when it is actually on the street. You can't measure HP capabilities of a part on a dyno especially a dynojet.
The AMS dynojet is a dual 224xlc. That means it has 4wd and eddy current brake.

What more were you looking for?
Old 02-15-2006, 03:14 PM
IceY2K1Max

What does Eagle claim they're rated for?
Old 02-15-2006, 03:29 PM
350zbiturbo

im using eagle rods in my setup, my car is getting finished up within the next 2 weeks, i just want 500 out of the car no more, so i guess theyre fine for me but im hearing the same thing that eagle rods arent very strong but i dont know why they wouldnt be, im kind of worried to be honest.
Old 02-15-2006, 03:31 PM
ktown z

I believe the reason the eagle rods are significantly cheaper is that they are not made in the united states.
Old 02-15-2006, 03:47 PM
Zivman

Yes, its the same company that make the rods, but they're for completely different engines. You cant compare a rod from a 300zx to one for a 350z, because they are different. Your not comparing apples with apples. Yes i could take a rod from a bus, and i'm pretty sure that'll hold a fair penny, but i cant stick that in a Z can I?

you can compare the HP per cylinder and use this as a reference and track record for what to expect on the 350Z.

I think many are lead to believe the pauters, but at double the price. the eagles have proven themselves in other applications and for the price, they are a great option
Old 02-15-2006, 03:57 PM
Geovannie

Originally Posted by phunk
The AMS dynojet is a dual 224xlc. That means it has 4wd and eddy current brake.

What more were you looking for?
There is nothing wrong with a dynojet. We have one at the shop. What I mean is that a dynojet is not like a mustang dyno or other dynos that apply load. So just because it can make 1000hp and not break does not mean that will transfer over to a pull on the street or at the track.

I stand by my quote to do it right so you only have to do it once.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:11 PM
XBS
Veteran

I spoke with eagle today, the reason their rods are so cost effective is because when they are produced they are made 1000 or so at a time, not indivdually, their H beam rods have been capable of holding a proven 1200 hp, Just because they are less expensive does not mean they are less quality. Lets see what happens at around 6xxwhp and some abuse Ill keep you guys posted. Here are some specs on my build.

Arias XD 9.0:1 Pistons
Eagle H-Beam Forged Rods
ARP Main bolts
Stock Head Bolts
Cams - Undecided on which ones
Valvetrain upgrade - Undecided
Lightened Crank
Port and Polish Heads
CJM Intake Manifold When Available, Plenum Spacer temp.

-George
Old 02-15-2006, 05:50 PM
HoldThisForMe

Correct me if im wrong but isnt it the REVS that kill rods??? Higher revs more stress yadda yadda...Now with such high HP numbers I could see wanting stronger rods...if you are that worried about it just go out rob a bank and have some custom titanium rods made...should only be about around 1g a rod i supposed lol
Old 02-15-2006, 05:55 PM
XBS
Veteran

I am not worried about anything, just wondering why nobody uses eagle, they cost less, and are just as good. IMHO
Old 02-15-2006, 11:20 PM
Nismo350ZRT

Of course you can compare them. The Eagle rods for the VQ engine are made with the same H-beam design and same forging process as the rods for those other motors. That is apples to apples.

Quick Reply: Who is using Eagle Rods and over 550whp?