Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

CEL Codes

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 10:27 AM
MIAPLAYA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lucidazn
Thanks, I'll give that a shot.
No worries. That worked for G3.5T. I don't know why you are getting O2 codes. I have never gotten them with the O2 extenders ont here.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:06 PM
rrmedicx

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can anyone verify if it is essential to move the left header O2 sensor to the top of the U-bend??? This may be why my cel light is on, but I am not sure. It really doesn't make much sense. With the installation manual it instructs you to move only the left header o2 sensor back to the top of the U-bend. How does this help? If you move the left sensor why doesn't the right get moved as well?

It just doesn't seem right. I have been driving around with my cel light on ever since completing my install 1 month ago. I since went to the dealer, got a P300 code and was told that my o2 sensor needed to be replaced. I don't believe them. But I will try it to see if my cel goes away. But before spending a bunch of money on o2 sensors, I want to verify placement.

Please help.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:30 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by rrmedicx
Can anyone verify if it is essential to move the left header O2 sensor to the top of the U-bend??? This may be why my cel light is on, but I am not sure. It really doesn't make much sense. With the installation manual it instructs you to move only the left header o2 sensor back to the top of the U-bend. How does this help? If you move the left sensor why doesn't the right get moved as well?

It just doesn't seem right. I have been driving around with my cel light on ever since completing my install 1 month ago. I since went to the dealer, got a P300 code and was told that my o2 sensor needed to be replaced. I don't believe them. But I will try it to see if my cel goes away. But before spending a bunch of money on o2 sensors, I want to verify placement.

Please help.
Whoever told you that 0300 means you need a new O2 sensor lied to you. The 0300 is a fairly common code on a boosted Z. It has NOTHING to do with O2 sensors.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:55 PM
rrmedicx

Default correction

After re-checking the result of my diagnostic run down at the dealer, it was a

H02s1 htr (B1) P0031 and
Ho2s1 htr (B2) P0051 code.

The dealer was not clear at all about these codes. I am pretty sure that one of them involves the fact that I had to disconnect one of the sensors for a short time and that is one of the codes, but the other code I am still not sure.

Anyone know about these codes?
Old 08-02-2006, 02:16 PM
MIAPLAYA

After re-checking the result of my diagnostic run down at the dealer, it was a

H02s1 htr (B1) P0031 and
Ho2s1 htr (B2) P0051 code.

The dealer was not clear at all about these codes. I am pretty sure that one of them involves the fact that I had to disconnect one of the sensors for a short time and that is one of the codes, but the other code I am still not sure.

Anyone know about these codes?
these are definitely O2 sensor codes. If you clear them do they come back?
Old 08-02-2006, 05:55 PM
rrmedicx

Does anyone know how to correct these once and for all? I mean this can't be considered to be acceptable. Someone must know of a fix. Is this a problem for everyone with this turbo set up,or could it have something to do maybe with a free flowing exhaust (at least inpart)? Do those with stock exhaust set-up's have this same problem?

I will definitely need to fix this code or else I cannot pass NYS inspection.

If I replace my o2 sensors, do you think I will get the same codes back again?
Old 08-02-2006, 08:07 PM
MIAPLAYA

Does anyone know how to correct these once and for all? I mean this can't be considered to be acceptable. Someone must know of a fix. Is this a problem for everyone with this turbo set up,or could it have something to do maybe with a free flowing exhaust (at least inpart)? Do those with stock exhaust set-up's have this same problem?

I will definitely need to fix this code or else I cannot pass NYS inspection.

If I replace my o2 sensors, do you think I will get the same codes back again?
Are you sure the O2s are plugged into the correct harnesses? I don't think anyone else with the Turbonetics kit is getting those two codes.
Old 08-03-2006, 05:46 AM
G3.5T

I would go over your install and where the O2s are plugged in. I can't remember anyone on these forums getting those codes with TN or any other Turbo kit.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:33 AM
rrmedicx

Well as I stated, I do know that one of those codes is from my temporarily disconnecting the o2 sensor (running the car) and then later reconnecting it. That is not the problem, but the other code is what concerns me. It has not left since I completed the install. Maybe I do need to replace the O2 sensors? I am hesitant to spend almost $400 for the two o2 sensors for both of the header sensors (1 for R & 1 for L). I am not going to touch the rearward o2 sensors, as I don't think they are the problem.

If anyone can better decipher these 2 codes and please let me know, I would appreciate it.

Secondly, if anyone has any ideas as to how to reset these codes after replacing the o2 sensors, without having to go to the dealer, I would even moreso appreciate that.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:26 AM
MIAPLAYA

Well as I stated, I do know that one of those codes is from my temporarily disconnecting the o2 sensor (running the car) and then later reconnecting it. That is not the problem, but the other code is what concerns me. It has not left since I completed the install. Maybe I do need to replace the O2 sensors? I am hesitant to spend almost $400 for the two o2 sensors for both of the header sensors (1 for R & 1 for L). I am not going to touch the rearward o2 sensors, as I don't think they are the problem.

If anyone can better decipher these 2 codes and please let me know, I would appreciate it.

Secondly, if anyone has any ideas as to how to reset these codes after replacing the o2 sensors, without having to go to the dealer, I would even moreso appreciate that.
Well my first suggestion is do the ECU reset. See how long it takes the codes to come back. But before you reset make sure the harnesses are plugged in to the right spot and none of the wiring is damaged.

ECu reset instructions:

350Z ECU Resetting Procedures

Please read all instructions and be familiar with them before any attempts.
A stop watch or an analog clock with a second’s needle will be useful.

ECU Resetting Procedures

Timing is extremely critical. If it is NOT DONE within the specify time, the ECU will not reset and the Check Engine Light (CEL) will continue to remain ON.
A stop watch or an analog clock with a second’s needle will be useful.

Operations Procedures

1. Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch “ON” and wait 3 seconds.
2. Repeat the following steps (2a and 2b) procedures quickly five times within 5 seconds.
2a. Fully depress the accelerator pedal (HARD).
2b. Fully release the accelerator pedal.
3. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 10 seconds until the CEL starts blinking.
4. Fully release the accelerator pedal (while the CEL is still blinking)
5. Wait about 10 second.
6. Fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for more than 10 seconds.
7. Fully release the accelerator pedal (The CEL light will continue to blink).
8. Turn ignition switch to “OFF” position and now you can start the car. The CEL light should be gone.

If the CEL light continues to remain ON, repeat the above steps. Timing is EXTREMELY critical to resetting the ECU.

Accelerator Pedal Release Position Learning

Operation Procedure
1. Make sure that the accelerator pedal is fully released.
2. Turn ignition switch “ON” and wait at least 2 seconds.
3. Turn ignition switch “OFF” wait at least 10 seconds.
4. Turn ignition switch “ON” and wait at least 2 seconds.
5. Turn ignition switch “OFF” wait at least 10 seconds.

Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning

Operation Procedures
1. Make sure that accelerator pedal is fully released.
2. Turn ignition switch is “ON”.
3. Turn ignition switch is “OFF” wait at least 10 seconds.
Make sure that the throttle valve moves during above 10 seconds by confirming the operating sound.

Idle Air Volume Learning (Throttle Position Learning)
It is better to count the time accurately with a clock.

Operation Procedures
1. Perform “Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning”.
2. Perform “Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning”.
3. Start engine and warm it up to normal operating temperature.
4. Turn ignition switch “OFF” and wait at least 10 seconds.
5. Conform that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch “ON” and wait 3 seconds.
6. Repeat the following (steps 7a, 7b) procedures quickly five times within 5 seconds.
7a. Fully depress the accelerator pedal (HARD)
7b. Fully release the accelerator pedal.
8. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 20 seconds until the Check Engine Light (CEL) stops blinking and turned ON.
9. Fully release the accelerator pedal within 3 seconds after the CEL is ON.
10. Start engine and let it idle.
11. Wait 20 seconds.
12. Rev up the engine two or three times and make sure the idle speed and ignition timing are within the specifications.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:20 AM
rrmedicx

I'll get right to it and let you know what happens next. Thanks.
Old 09-22-2006, 05:26 AM
rrmedicx

No Good. Did the ECU reset, 2 ways...Battery disconnect 16 hours, and by the hokey pokey. After 10-15 miles, codes were back. I even tried to add additional extenders to the rearward o2 sensors. But I did notice that the wiring on the left bank O2 sensor was just a bit frayed. Perhaps that is the problem. I guess I'll start by replacing the left bank O2 sensor and starting from scratch.