Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Fuel return whine?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 05:53 AM
Jason333
hi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel return whine?

A little history before i get to the main question. When my kit was installed, the fuel pump assembly was reinstalled with improper bolts. The bolts were too long, and the tank wouldnt seal back. When i had the fuel return reinstalled, they put the correct length bolts in which caused major gas leaks when filling the car. The gaspump at the station actually wont cut off due to gas, it just spills from the fuel pump assembly.

When the fuel return was installed, something with the float in my tank got messed up so it no longer reads correctly (ive been told its any ez fix, but im not going to take the assembly appart until the new tank is in). Just to be on the safe side i usually fill the car up around 150-200 miles since i have no indication of how much fuel i have, and the fuel light is blinding my paranoid mind.

So on to my question at hand. yesterday i had about 160 miles on this tank of fuel (as far as i can tell it was from a full tank, im not sure where the fuel pump assembly sits in the tank to know if it's at the very top center and i have a full 16-18 gallons or whatnot). When i turned right onto a road i heard what sounded like a cars tires squealing in the distance. I looked up and there was no car. I heard this a few more times, and decided to put some gas in the car. When i pulled into the gas station (another right turn) it did it again. I decided to circle around a bit in the parking lot (taking only rights) to try and see wtf it was. It got a little louder and louder (still not extrememly loud, but enough to bug the **** out of me). I finally said **** it and put gas in it. Suddenly the sound is gone. I only put 8.73 gallons in the car. So my question is, is this normal for a fuel return to make noise like that? I can't imagine what else it could be, and this is the first time it has done it, and not since i filled up. Also there is a "hissing" sound that is dirrectly related to throttle position coming from somewhere a bit right of the radio in the car. This is ANY fuel position change, not just under boost (it's too quiet to hear under boost), and it seems to go away at higher rpm's. That or the car is too loud to hear it at that point. Does a fuel return make more sounds form under the hood as well. I also had a plenum spacer, and tenabe exhaust put on at the same time.

My major paranoia atm is gas..i dont want to think gas is leaking from somewhere, and then secondly to make sure my engine is safe. Any help is greatly appreciated. I posted this in FI, because most of you guys have fuel returns. BTW this is the AAm fuel return.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:14 AM
kevinapex

Jason, man lots of grief! sorry to hear that. I have an AAM return system as well, it sure has a whine to it, I can really hear mine at a stop light when there is no other traffic around me. It seams to always be about at the same pitch and tone regardless of throttle position, the motor just drowns it out more.
Do you have your deck turned up most the time?!
Kevin G.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:32 AM
Jason333
hi

Yeah i usually have on some radio, but this time i actually heard it over the radio. I then of course turned the radio off to listen for it. It was weird, only on right turns, and only when gas is not full (8 gallons down in this case)

Last edited by Jason333; 03-15-2006 at 07:32 AM.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:25 AM
dynamic6er

It sounds like there is an issue with your fuel pump assembly. I don't think they put the swirl canister back on or on properly. Also they may not have installed the return line properly. The noise is becasue the pump is running dry. The fuel sloshes to the left side of the tank and runs the pump dry. Also if the gauge is not working it can be due to the canister not being reinstalled becasue the floater is attached to the canister.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:54 PM
Jason333
hi

Oh can you say OWNED!
So today i go to my local shop to get the float in my gas tank unstuck because i cant take this anymore. So he opens the tank up and moves a hose and is like "it didnt seem that bad man" (making this short as i can). The gas needle moves a little and i ask him how much gas i had in it. He guesstimates about 3-4 gallons, so the light should be on. So i go to fill up, and gas runs out of the top again at 6 gallons! Im like wtf!! So i go back and we get to talking. I never though about pressure in the tank and the gas oscilating(sp?) and pooring out from the leak in the top of the tank as it splashed in. So when i thought i had a full tank, i had at MOST 10 gallons. I hear a whine because the ****ing tank is EMPTY!!

You would be amazed at how far you can go after your gas light is on and the needle is BURRIED. I lterally drove 70 miles with the gas light on coming back into town. Any way for now i think it's fixxed and all will be well when i get the new tank in. The guys here at my shop (Airline Auto Center *plug*) are great to deal with my paranoia.

Last edited by Jason333; 03-22-2006 at 04:56 PM.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:59 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow glad to see you got it taken care of finally. Should have been right the first time...both the shop that used the wrong screws for your fuel pump assembly and the shop that f'd up your fuel guage.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:13 PM
ht4

siphon issue perhaps?
Old 03-22-2006, 06:30 PM
baileyrx

if you have a walbro pump in there, it's much louder than the stock pump & ya with an empty/low gas tank, it's like a big speaker resonating the pump whine. I seen where people added sound deadening material just to help with the fuel pump sound...