Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Which SuperCharger?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 02:15 PM
SixFootSix

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which SuperCharger?

Ok, as you can see that I am new to the forum. I have searched and read some interesting stuff about blowers on here. I have also noticed that alot of the stuff I read on here is dated. I want to know about Vortech and Procharger units for the 350Z. I am not looking for peak HP numbers. I want good power all the way up the curve. I also want very high reliability and driveability. The part numbers I have found are 4NZ218-010SQ and 1NB212-CCI, are these the correct part numbers for a 2003? Is there anything else I need? Is there anything to the install that I can not do in a day?
Thanks in advance for your replies.
Brad
Old 03-23-2006, 02:57 PM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brad
You live in Houston...go see SGP Racing . They will give you the ends and outs of FI kits for our cars . SGP has a very good rep here and built alot of our motors , including mine . They make some wicked cars
Old 03-23-2006, 05:40 PM
trefling

yep...SGP does build nice motors. But if you ask them "what supercharger"? They will look at you and say......turbo

Both Booger and I have high boost vortec/procharger setups. But I must admit supercharger have a hard time keeping up with the power of tubo's.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:52 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

I like the HKS Rotrex but they have been discontinue.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:17 PM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Vortech
Old 03-23-2006, 06:27 PM
schweatty

Originally Posted by Robert_K
I like the HKS Rotrex but they have been discontinue.
where did you hear this? to my knowledge the HKS is still making the rotrex blower kit.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:32 PM
freezeg35

Originally Posted by trefling
yep...SGP does build nice motors. But if you ask them "what supercharger"? They will look at you and say......turbo

Both Booger and I have high boost vortec/procharger setups. But I must admit supercharger have a hard time keeping up with the power of tubo's.

Well then we should re title this thread "which turbo/turbo's"
Old 03-23-2006, 07:13 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by schweatty
where did you hear this? to my knowledge the HKS is still making the rotrex blower kit.
Just a rumor I heard on other Z forums.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:20 PM
Ep3

vortec seems to be safer with the SS box but you could also do procharger/Utec or vortec utec / 255 and 440's
Old 03-23-2006, 08:46 PM
dscheers

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The Procharger at 7psi works fine with the included aeromotive (?) fuel controller and fuelpump. No need for bigger injectors or UTEC in my opinion.

Danny
Old 03-24-2006, 02:18 AM
zachcrosen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Robert_K
Just a rumor I heard on other Z forums.
I also heard this from a buddy of mine who has the HKS SC. Supposedly HKS and Rotrex had a falling out and Rotrex said that HKS could no longer use their SC in the HKS kit. However, I have heard that HKS is working on a TT kit. I think I have also heard that Rotrex is working on a SC kit for our car. Ahh, who knows. I have the vortech and llike it for what it is. Personally, I wish sometimes I went with a ST, but thats just my opinion! But the Vortech is a very complete kit and many guys are getting great results from it. I just want more torque. Right now I am at 367RWHP and 305RWTQ on the 3.12 pulley with a ton of bolt-ons.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:19 AM
chimmike

okay, you guys need to STOP BSING about the rotrex being discontinued.

it's been said here NUMEROUS TIMES straight from the horses mouth that that rumor is untrue.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:32 AM
Gman2004

Originally Posted by trefling
That's BS. Have you even been to SGP? They will install what ever you want. They have done s/c's before. Look at some of their customer's cars.

http://store.yahoo.com/sgpracing-store/st03ni35.html

http://store.yahoo.com/sgpracing-store/ke03ni35.html
Old 03-24-2006, 06:45 AM
wong hun xun

Originally Posted by chimmike
okay, you guys need to STOP BSING about the rotrex being discontinued.

it's been said here NUMEROUS TIMES straight from the horses mouth that that rumor is untrue.
Rotrex said that HKS could no longer use their SC in the HKS kit
What horse's mouth are you listening to? The pictures of the NEW HKS supercharger kit is CLEARLY NOT Rotrex. I have spoken with Rotrex numerous times on the issue. There are no "rumors". The fact is, HKS turned their back on Rotrex and copied their design (or stole it for that matter).

The HKS Rotrex kit is no longer in existence and is being replaced by a "similar" system, but the legalities of this approach is questionable and because of this it might not be sold in the US.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:53 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

We get all our engine work and tuning done at SGP. They do quality work from what I've seen.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:10 AM
Chief F1 Fan

You've been hijacked . . . more opinions about SC's please kthanksbye
Old 03-24-2006, 11:30 AM
k3silk

Originally Posted by wong hun xun
What horse's mouth are you listening to? The pictures of the NEW HKS supercharger kit is CLEARLY NOT Rotrex. I have spoken with Rotrex numerous times on the issue. There are no "rumors". The fact is, HKS turned their back on Rotrex and copied their design (or stole it for that matter).

The HKS Rotrex kit is no longer in existence and is being replaced by a "similar" system, but the legalities of this approach is questionable and because of this it might not be sold in the US.
So HKS wont sell in America but what about Rotrex will they sell in America someone needs to cause i need this supercharger or else i will have to go turbo.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:47 PM
dimebagdolf

From all of my research, Vortech seems to be a pretty safe bet.

I really took that into account when making my choice. The fact that boost comes on a little slower seems to be a little nicer to the "weaker" engine components we've been "blessed" with. More power and TQ is nice, but who wants cooked internals?

CARB Cert was also very important to me. I didn't want to invest all the money and run the chance of getting impounded and/or cited and sent to a referee station.

I've been very happy with the way my car turned out. Zero problems, and pretty quick.

Zero problems thus far.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any questions.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:48 PM
trefling

That's BS. Have you even been to SGP?

Don't be a moron, my motor was built there so don't talk to me like I'm some punk *ss kid. Yes I have been there, yes I know Mark. 98% of the cars they do there are turbo and that is no BS

vortec seems to be safer with the SS box but you could also do procharger/Utec or vortec utec / 255 and 440's
Now that's good thinking

We get all our engine work and tuning done at SGP. They do quality work from what I've seen.
SGP is one of the best. Mark does awesome customer service and tune. But when he built my car he told me this was the 1st, yes 1st supercharger/procharger tune they did inhouse. They have built several motors with vortecs and shipped them out. But never did one inhouse with tune. I'm still working on working out the bugs with tuning but hope to have it resolved with the UTEC

Last edited by trefling; 03-24-2006 at 08:50 PM.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:50 PM
Ep3

Trefling my Z should be in MRC tomorrow getting UTEC installed and tuned for my procharger set up.. what bugs are you trying to work out?>

Quick Reply: Which SuperCharger?