Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

UTEC / Knocklight / Shiftlight ???

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 06:38 AM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default UTEC / Knocklight / Shiftlight ???

I have had the UTEC, TunerREG, Dual stage boost controller, Map switch installed since December. Very good. However, the optional Knocklight/shiftlight was not connected properly. I have been unable to get the answer to what wires hook to what pins on the UTEC. The UTEC manual states that the Knocklight connects to pin 3 on the accessory plug, and the Shift light 1 connects to pin 9, shift light 2 connects to pin 8, shift light 3 connects to pin 3. As you can see, there is some conflict on pin 3.

In addition, the Knocklight has a bundle of six wires, red, white, black, blue, yellow and orange. What wire is what I have no idea.

Could someone who has installed this thing draw a simple schematic to show what wires hook to what pins or power? I can't believe that they are selling this without something as simple as a hook up schematic.

In addition, does someone know what parameter in the UTEC removes the stock speed limiter on 2003 model 350Zs? I can seem to find it.
Old 03-30-2006, 04:47 PM
BlackTuner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gringott
I have had the UTEC, TunerREG, Dual stage boost controller, Map switch installed since December. Very good. However, the optional Knocklight/shiftlight was not connected properly. I have been unable to get the answer to what wires hook to what pins on the UTEC. The UTEC manual states that the Knocklight connects to pin 3 on the accessory plug, and the Shift light 1 connects to pin 9, shift light 2 connects to pin 8, shift light 3 connects to pin 3. As you can see, there is some conflict on pin 3.

In addition, the Knocklight has a bundle of six wires, red, white, black, blue, yellow and orange. What wire is what I have no idea.

Could someone who has installed this thing draw a simple schematic to show what wires hook to what pins or power? I can't believe that they are selling this without something as simple as a hook up schematic.

In addition, does someone know what parameter in the UTEC removes the stock speed limiter on 2003 model 350Zs? I can seem to find it.
The Knocklite does not connect to the UTEC. It is designed to be connected directly to your rpm signal, knock sensor, power and ground. The outputs on the UTEC were designed to drive separate led’s.

What is the speed where you think the Governor is being enabled?

Thanks,

Jermaine@turboxs.com
Old 04-03-2006, 01:49 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackTuner
The Knocklite does not connect to the UTEC. It is designed to be connected directly to your rpm signal, knock sensor, power and ground. The outputs on the UTEC were designed to drive separate led’s.

Thanks,

Jermaine@turboxs.com
Hey that sounds great. Just hook it up to RPM, knock sensor, power and ground wires? That would be cake.

Can you suggest a place where I can download a spec sheet on it? I will need to get one for some of my development testing.

Thanks,
Tony
Old 04-04-2006, 05:51 AM
gringott

I guess where I got confused is when it was listed as a optional accessory to the UTEC, the UTEC had the signals it needed, AAM connected it to the TunerREG, and when I pressed AAM for how to hook it up as it was obvious that the TunerREG was not the place, they sent me the Z UTEC user manual and told me that the KNock light controls are on page 27. Guess I am just stupid, after all, when a buy an accessory to a product, and pay for the hook up of that device, I just assume that the people selling and installing know more than collecting a bill. So bottom line, the Knocklight has absolutly nothing to do with the UTEC, it is a completely seperate product that no documentation is availible for, has a bunch of wires coming out of it that I have yet to get a straight answer as to what wire hooks to what. It is just sad that it took from Dec to April to find out I paid for a product, paid to have it installed, and the product is not what it was represented to be.
Obviously I am not the only one who thought it worked with the UTEC, as AAM hooked it up to the system.

Hint: straight answers and straight information will get you fans, evasive answers and not getting to the point will win you noting but anomosity.

My question was - what parameter removes the speed limit govenor. Not that I am experiencing a problem. If there is no parameter, and it is removed automatically, say so. What is so complicated???? Straight answer, please. Not another evasive answer.

If the signals on the UTEC enable a three stage shift light and a knocklight, using simple led's, what fuction does the knocklight provide except making money??? Why is it an optional accessory to the UTEC??? This is pure nonsense.

Tony, don't hold your breath. It took me to now to find out in a straight answer that it doesn't hook to the UTEC. Documentation on what to hook the 6 wires to, or even what each of the 6 wires are, have yet to be provided to me, although I have been trying to find out since purchase.

Not good business practice by TurboXS, or AAM for that matter. If you don't know how to hook it up, WTF are you doing just plugging it in anywhere??? And then having the ***** to charge for the hook up. WEAK.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:04 AM
John at J&S

Discussion on the Subaru forum:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...ght=knocklight
Old 04-05-2006, 11:51 AM
gringott

Originally Posted by John at J&S
Thank you for helping. This helps to understand why I would want this and the UTEC. I also saw a picture of the manual for the Knocklight, so at least I know there is one out there somewhere. Eventually I hope to locate one, since noone seems to know which wires are which. I am sure I can find the wires to hook it to, if I knew color coding from the Knocklight side.

Not feeling very good about this purchase, esp. since today it seems the dual stage boost controller stopped functioning.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:40 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

JEG'S is selling the MSD knock indicator for $139.
Not a bad price. Although it won't look as good on the dash at least it should have a installation manual.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:16 PM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks,

Jermaine@turboxs.com
Do you know at what voltage the knock light is set off at ?
Old 04-06-2006, 07:44 PM
John at J&S

You can program it to go off at different levels at different RPM's.
Old 04-09-2006, 03:32 PM
BlackTuner

Originally Posted by gringott
I guess where I got confused is when it was listed as a optional accessory to the UTEC, the UTEC had the signals it needed, AAM connected it to the TunerREG, and when I pressed AAM for how to hook it up as it was obvious that the TunerREG was not the place, they sent me the Z UTEC user manual and told me that the KNock light controls are on page 27. Guess I am just stupid, after all, when a buy an accessory to a product, and pay for the hook up of that device, I just assume that the people selling and installing know more than collecting a bill. So bottom line, the Knocklight has absolutly nothing to do with the UTEC, it is a completely seperate product that no documentation is availible for, has a bunch of wires coming out of it that I have yet to get a straight answer as to what wire hooks to what. It is just sad that it took from Dec to April to find out I paid for a product, paid to have it installed, and the product is not what it was represented to be.
Obviously I am not the only one who thought it worked with the UTEC, as AAM hooked it up to the system.

Hint: straight answers and straight information will get you fans, evasive answers and not getting to the point will win you noting but anomosity.

My question was - what parameter removes the speed limit govenor. Not that I am experiencing a problem. If there is no parameter, and it is removed automatically, say so. What is so complicated???? Straight answer, please. Not another evasive answer.

If the signals on the UTEC enable a three stage shift light and a knocklight, using simple led's, what fuction does the knocklight provide except making money??? Why is it an optional accessory to the UTEC??? This is pure nonsense.

Tony, don't hold your breath. It took me to now to find out in a straight answer that it doesn't hook to the UTEC. Documentation on what to hook the 6 wires to, or even what each of the 6 wires are, have yet to be provided to me, although I have been trying to find out since purchase.

Not good business practice by TurboXS, or AAM for that matter. If you don't know how to hook it up, WTF are you doing just plugging it in anywhere??? And then having the ***** to charge for the hook up. WEAK.
Gringott,

The Knocklite is a separate product as is an optional accessory to any of our products. The UTEC has the ability to control LED’s often called KNOCK LIGHTS or SHIFT LIGHTS not the KNOCKLITE product. It is used as an alternative device to verify knock and shift light indicator. No where in the KNOCKLITE or UTEC manual does it state it should be connected to the UTEC or Tuner. It does say that it can be connected to the DTEC product line. I know this can be confused because of the name similarities.

To approach your Speed Limiter question, I have not tested the top speed limiter at all. I personally don’t have a desire to go above what is it 155mph. I asked you what is your speed that you think you are hitting the speed limiter, for my own information. If you don't want to answer that's fine. The next time I am on the dyno I will do, a top gear run and give a public answer to the question. The speed limiter removal will not be a function of a parameter. Most cars enable this by turning off the either injectors, throttle control, ignition or fuel pump control. In some cases all are used to have a system of redundancy. Most of these functions are currently controlled by the UTEC and not the factory ECU. The next time I put my car on the dyno I will do a top speed test for you.

My last email stated the all of this information, if you did not receive it then this is where a lot of the confusion and hostility lies. They also included instruction manuals you did not receive from your dealer.

If you have any questions feel free to pick up the phone to contact any of our Tech Staff at our Toll Free number 877.231.3234.

Thanks,

Jermaine~

Last edited by BlackTuner; 04-09-2006 at 03:52 PM.
Old 04-09-2006, 03:43 PM
BlackTuner

Originally Posted by Hydrazine
Hey that sounds great. Just hook it up to RPM, knock sensor, power and ground wires? That would be cake.

Can you suggest a place where I can download a spec sheet on it? I will need to get one for some of my development testing.

Thanks,
Tony
Yes, the installation is pretty simple the knock lite manual can be found here. http://www.turboxs.com/downloads/dte...ller_v1_07.ZIP

Do you know at what voltage the knock light is set off at ?
Since the KNOCKLITE is microphone with a programmable trigger. It will vary depending on it's severity after you have calibrated it versus rpm. My question is what are you trying to do? This will help me get you all of the correct information.

Jermaine~
Old 04-09-2006, 06:16 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Thanks Jermaine!
Old 04-25-2006, 08:00 AM
gringott

Default Miscommunications or other?

Gringott,

The Knocklite is a separate product as is an optional accessory to any of our products. The UTEC has the ability to control LED’s often called KNOCK LIGHTS or SHIFT LIGHTS not the KNOCKLITE product. It is used as an alternative device to verify knock and shift light indicator. No where in the KNOCKLITE or UTEC manual does it state it should be connected to the UTEC or Tuner. It does say that it can be connected to the DTEC product line. I know this can be confused because of the name similarities.

To approach your Speed Limiter question, I have not tested the top speed limiter at all. I personally don’t have a desire to go above what is it 155mph. I asked you what is your speed that you think you are hitting the speed limiter, for my own information. If you don't want to answer that's fine. The next time I am on the dyno I will do, a top gear run and give a public answer to the question. The speed limiter removal will not be a function of a parameter. Most cars enable this by turning off the either injectors, throttle control, ignition or fuel pump control. In some cases all are used to have a system of redundancy. Most of these functions are currently controlled by the UTEC and not the factory ECU. The next time I put my car on the dyno I will do a top speed test for you.

My last email stated the all of this information, if you did not receive it then this is where a lot of the confusion and hostility lies. They also included instruction manuals you did not receive from your dealer.

If you have any questions feel free to pick up the phone to contact any of our Tech Staff at our Toll Free number 877.231.3234.

Thanks,

Jermaine~
Jermaine:
My hostility lies in the fact that Altered Atmosphere also understood that the knocklite hooked to the UTEC and was an accessory. They hooked it, as I told you from the beginning, to the TUNER REG, not even the UTEC. When I asked them on the phone why it never lit up, not even a test light to show it was initialized, they said they didn't think it did that. When I asked them for the manual to see if it was hooked up right (after all, I paid for the installation) this is what I got: QUOTE:

Knock light controls are on page 27 of the Z UTEC User Manual.

Regards,

Dave Shiroma

General Manager

ENDQUOTE

So I sent you an email, you responded to my email as below:
QUOTE:

Patrick,

The knocklite will need to connect to a valid rpm signal in your vehicle. This will allow you to use your shift light function. AAM should have supplied you with the RJ12 cable and Tuner adapter. If you do not have these pieces I will send replacements out you ASAP.

http://www.turboxs.com/utec350zupdate.htm

http://www.turboxs.com/downloads/TunaUserManual_1v1.pdf

Jermaine~

www.turboxs.com

301-977-4727

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, February 06, 2006 4:28 PM
To: Jermaine@turboxs.com
Subject: UTEC on Z

Hey, I got the UTEC and TunerREG installed at AAM during Christmas. They are unable to tell me how to hook up the knocklight so it is also a shiftlight.

Also, the cord for the computer hookup from the tunerREG is what appears to be a telephone type cord. What do I use for an adapter / where do I get one?

They failed to give me any documentation, later emailed me the UTEC doc and a tuner doc that does not have specifics on how the two work together. Could you help me?

Patrick Greene

ENDQUOTE

Several emails followed, I have them all. To your credit, you sent me the adapter to hook my laptop to the TUNER REG, at no cost. You also included a disk with the correct TUNER REG supplement. But read again what you wrote. And then read what I wrote. Obviously, you thought the Knocklight was hooked properly and only the shiftlight was not hooked up. But then I sent you this email to which you replied that you would get back to me:

QUOTE:

haven’t forgot about you.. but I will respond in the morning.

Thanks,

Jermaine~

www.turboxs.com

301-977-4727

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, February 10, 2006 5:53 PM
To: 'Jermaine Riddick'
Subject: RE: UTEC on Z
Importance: High

Jermaine:

I have a beige cable that appears to be a telephone type plug in – I am assuming I am missing the piece that converts that to a standard serial cable or USB, whatever port you have an adapter for. If you could send out that adapter, I would be grateful.

As for the knocklite, they have it plugged into the side of the TunerREG with a four pin plug, but only the blue and yellow wires are attached. I have attached a simple picture to show the wires. The TunerUser Manual is not for the unit I have; my unit is smaller and has cables from the UTEC in a different configuration. What confuses me is that the zUTEC manual shows a hookup for the Knock Light and shift light, but it seems to use more wires. Pin 3 says for knock light, and I also see that PIN 8, 9, 3 on the UTEC Molex is for shift light output, that makes for three total wires, with PIN 3 being used twice. The light itself has white, black, red, yellow, blue and light orange. That makes for six wires. I would assume that red and black are perhaps 12V power and ground, both not hooked to anything right now, and that leaves four wires. So bottom line, I have the yellow and blue wires hooked to the tunerReg, using a four pin Molex. Should the knock light be hooked to the UTEC instead? I am really unclear on this. If you could provide a simple schematic showing how the knock light should be hooked up and to what, that would be great. I assumed that the UTEC already has a valid rpm signal and it was a plug in operation for the shift light function, the UTEC manual seems to say this.

In summation, I need to know what wires hook to what port on which device with the knock light, and I need the adapter to go from the RJ12 cable to something a computer can use.

Thank you for your help.

ENDQUOTE

So in this email I made it very clear that AAM had hooked the Knocklight to the TUNER REG. So it should be clear that I am not the only one confused about your Knocklight, a dealer of your product was also. The last communication I had from you was when you asked me questions about my car throwing SES light when it is cold.

Patrick,

Do you throw the cel upon start up or what? Also, what size injectors are you running?

I am going to attach the Tuner Supplement Manual, let me know if you have everything pictured.

Thanks,

Jermaine~

ENDQUOTE

That was the last communication I had from you. So I have a Knocklight that I paid for, and paid to have installed, that I had no instructions to, that has prob. been damaged by the inproper install done by AAM. Today I revisted this thread and see that you posted a link to the instructions that I have been trying to get, with what wires connect to what. Perhaps I wouldn't be so hostile if your dealers knew what you know, how to hook up the product. I am beyond hostile, I am pissed. A simple straight forward answer, such as "they hooked it up wrong, it should be hooked up in accordance with the attached manual". I never received any such email from you, period. I had to find the manual here. Your last email did contain the TUNER REG supplement, but no answer to how my Knocklight was installed by AAM. Your response here makes it seem that I was confused on how the Knocklight worked. It really dosent matter if I was or not, AAM obviously was very confused, because they hooked it to the TUNER REG.

As for the speed limiter, it was a question. It was implied here in the forums before release that the removal of the speed limiter was obtained. I merely wanted to know if it was a software switch in the UTEC. Your above answer explains it fine.

Sorry it took me so long to answer, but I have been devoting my spare time to finding out why the TurboXS Dual Stage Boost controller failed on my car and allowed overboosting. I located the problem an hour ago, the ground wire that AAM installed with a crimped fitting had come apart within the plastic shield, the unit was no longer grounded but it couldn't be seen without taking the connector apart. I soldered the joint and reinstalled, now it is working properly.

I have attached also the picture I drew and sent you of how the knocklight was installed by AAM, showing the connections.

Just a word of advice, take it or leave it, if you feel it doesn't apply:

Give straight answers to questions. Get back to someone if you say you will.

Thank you
Patrick Greene
Attached Thumbnails UTEC / Knocklight / Shiftlight ???-hookup.jpg  

Last edited by gringott; 04-25-2006 at 08:06 AM.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:44 PM
jining

Did you ever get it working? I have the knocklite and I cant seem to get the shift light feature to work properly.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:56 PM
gringott

Originally Posted by jining
Did you ever get it working? I have the knocklite and I cant seem to get the shift light feature to work properly.

No, after I found I would have to tap into my ECU harness to get the signals I needed I gave up. The game playing by TurboXS and AAM totally turned me off. I think the problem is the CAN bus, it is hard to get a proper RPM signal on the 350Z - correct me if I am wrong. I think there is some type of adapter out there to convert some signal to a proper RPM signal, try searching for it.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:57 PM
jining

Hmm thanks! Its not too hard to tap into the ECU harness btw
Old 09-05-2007, 05:02 PM
gringott

I hear you, but I don't want to take a chance of damaging the harness.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:05 PM
jining

ah ok
Old 09-05-2007, 06:07 PM
athenG

Originally Posted by jining
ah ok

I'm really surprise on your persistence to find a solution Ok, I'll go get one after you have done all the hard work