Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Taurran TN Meets MaximumsportZ's APS TT (LOTS OF PICS INSIDE)

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 08:39 PM
maximumsportZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taurran TN Meets MaximumsportZ's APS TT (LOTS OF PICS INSIDE)

Well this weekend I took the drive up to Tampa to meet taurran (Craig) and his Z club http://www.350zclubofflorida.com/ The event was a carshow / Cruise.. pics follow:

Won the award for "Best 350Z"

Craig won the award for "Best Engine"

Being I was in a APS powered Z the film was unable to capture me

A little eyecandy

Heres a little teaser video from the cruise:
Right click, Save as:
http://www.craiglofton.com/hostedima.../APSTTvsTN.wmv

We swapped cars to get a feel for eachothers FI Z's I must say driving the TN setup, feels so much different than mysetup. I had a blast driving it but I was always expecting the power to come on a lot more quicker as I'm use to on the TT's, but once the power came in, it came HARD and pushed you back. Now the lag is not even much like some ppl say it is and I love the spool up and sound. Its like right in your face spool/BOV. I've never doubt this kit and now that I've seen and experienced it in first hand I truly believe it is an awesome setup.

I'll let craig share his experience driving my setup. It was nice meeting you, next time we need to take some better videos with less traffic.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:54 PM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

VERY NICEEEEEE... I miss my old kit when i look at your car now.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:03 PM
GQ 350z

SICK.

C, email me that beach pic in high res LOL

ravi
Old 04-03-2006, 09:07 PM
maximumsportZ

You can have a desktop

Old 04-03-2006, 09:13 PM
taurran

Thanks Chris, I'm glad you and the orlando crew could make it down this past weekend! We were invited to the 6th annual Florida Spring gathering put on by the Florida II3s (3000gt/stealth) club. This was actually my first time out to this and the event was an absolute blast!

Now, as far as my impressions of the APS TT... I only drove it for a very short time, but with the combination of Chris' JWT clutch/flywheel and the quick spooling TT's, the car was a VERY quick, but touchy, and required much care while starting and accelerating. Boost came on instantly and the car was insanely fast through the gears, but the you don't feel the turbo kick in like you would on the ST. My best example would be when I punch it in 3rd gear. In my car, you would hit the gas, then feel the turbo spool hard while pressing you back in your seat. In the APS TT, you press the gas and before you know you're in boost, the car is hauling ***! This is due to the smooth power delivery and high whp numbers.

Now, I'm not going to say which was my "favorite", because both setups have their own merits. I'd definitely say my car would be the more streetable of the two with a lot of torque powered punch, while Chris' is like a snarling cheetah with a hair up its ***. Of course, this could be due to the fact that I'm so used to driving the stock clutch with a lower engagement point. I think I defintiely need more time behind the wheel of his car to "investigate".

Oh, and the pics turned out fantastic! With those rolling shots of my car, I definitely think I have some new favorites!
Old 04-03-2006, 09:33 PM
jdl350z

i've seen ur Z around on orlandoforums.com its come a ways from what it was.....have u gone to the track to see ur #'s on the aps twins?...., ohh and i've meant to ask one of you VGC guys do u have a website or something for the club?? all of the cars are nice and i've heard good things about you here in orlando.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:55 PM
Dubai

sick rides...
Old 04-03-2006, 10:14 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Cars look awesome guys! Watched the vid of the little run and it looked like Chris pulled a little...can you guys confirm??

Last edited by BriGuyMax; 04-03-2006 at 10:24 PM.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:56 PM
solidsnake

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dang those are 2 sexy cars. wish i lived near florida. yall come to texas and hang out..lol. hey taurran what mods do you have. your running 9lbs on the reflash? hows that working out for ya? what controller you have and did you get the ecu reflashed after you added more boost or kept the same one? oh and ive had a similar experience with driving an aps and my car. the aps is all around power and super stealth, my car with TN is loud and crazy fun, it doesnt spool as fast but when my car does its in your *** action..i wanna see more video.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:08 PM
jdl350z

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
Cars look awesome guys! Watched the vid of the little run and it looked like Chris pulled a little...can you guys confirm??
saw the video also, yes def. looks like chris got ahead towards the end (no brake lights went on be4 he passed him so it looked clean. can't tell wut wud happen tho due to traffic that was in front of em.....(remember wut they said aps power kicks in right away the other setup takes alittle then hauls ***)
Old 04-04-2006, 03:02 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

So who won the race?
Old 04-04-2006, 03:04 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
Actually it was about neck and neck until I shifted and then shortly after hit the brakes. Chris' car definitely pulls a little harder up top. That's understandable seeing my power/tq curve on the dyno. He makes a good amount more power up top and really low while mine makes more midrange power, and more torque. Hopefully once TN stage 1.5 comes out I can tune for more power in the upper rpms.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:51 AM
JDMFairlady21

nice whips guys! take one for the redline Zs! hey taurran mind sharing those wheel specs again? also do you currently have any camber correction kit installed? tia
Old 04-04-2006, 04:09 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by solidsnake
dang those are 2 sexy cars. wish i lived near florida. yall come to texas and hang out..lol. hey taurran what mods do you have. your running 9lbs on the reflash? hows that working out for ya? what controller you have and did you get the ecu reflashed after you added more boost or kept the same one? oh and ive had a similar experience with driving an aps and my car. the aps is all around power and super stealth, my car with TN is loud and crazy fun, it doesnt spool as fast but when my car does its in your *** action..i wanna see more video.
I am running 9psi on the reflash, yes. Its the same reflash as the stock kit. I'm running the 7lb spring with the Blitz SBC at 9psi.

I wouldn't go as far to say the APS TT is better all around power, though. In my experience, if you want torque, the ST is where it's at. While the ST does lag a little more, you hit full boost at roughly the same rpm range. Looking at my dyno compared to some APS owners, I also make more midrange tq and hp.

I'm also not saying the ST is actually better by any means, but it can certainly hold its own. We haven't really seen many reports of a ST setup being pushed to its full potential. However, we have seen some faster ET's with lower trap times on the ST. IMO, it's not a bad choice for a good 1/4mi setup and livable daily driver.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:44 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by taurran
I am running 9psi on the reflash, yes. Its the same reflash as the stock kit. I'm running the 7lb spring with the Blitz SBC at 9psi.

I wouldn't go as far to say the APS TT is better all around power, though. In my experience, if you want torque, the ST is where it's at. While the ST does lag a little more, you hit full boost at roughly the same rpm range. Looking at my dyno compared to some APS owners, I also make more midrange tq and hp.

I'm also not saying the ST is actually better by any means, but it can certainly hold its own. We haven't really seen many reports of a ST setup being pushed to its full potential. However, we have seen some faster ET's with lower trap times on the ST. IMO, it's not a bad choice for a good 1/4mi setup and livable daily driver.
Word on the street is, after driiving the APS setup, you were VERY impressed. Maybe so impressed that you might have said if you did it over again you would go with the APS twins??????? In your posts, you make nice comments, but kind of end things by saying it could have been the clutch?

Chris' car might not have been tuned to as much power as yours, but in the vid it is easy to see his car start to walk yours.

Not going to say who, but one of you got a taste of a real FI setup
Old 04-04-2006, 06:58 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Uh oh...looks like I need to grab some popcorn...
Old 04-04-2006, 07:08 AM
plumpzz

Zivman's BACK with the return of the APS BRAG!! Get over ur high horse, its obvious that by now, all the systems have similar power outputs, slightly different power curves, and with ANY system, one would be happy.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:39 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by Zivman
Word on the street is, after driiving the APS setup, you were VERY impressed. Maybe so impressed that you might have said if you did it over again you would go with the APS twins??????? In your posts, you make nice comments, but kind of end things by saying it could have been the clutch?

Chris' car might not have been tuned to as much power as yours, but in the vid it is easy to see his car start to walk yours.

Not going to say who, but one of you got a taste of a real FI setup
Read much? He said his cars running the out of box reflash. The APS car is TUNED AND maked almost 30 more WHP but didn't pull in the video till the very end... But then again I guess we can forget the clutch and flywheel and other supporting mods right?
Old 04-04-2006, 07:46 AM
chimmike

not only that but the fact that craig runs more boost than I do and I am even with him and maybe even pull him in up top.............

zivman=aps cawksucker. Always has been, always will be.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:58 AM
mraturbo
Banned

Beautiful cars.

M

Quick Reply: Taurran TN Meets MaximumsportZ's APS TT (LOTS OF PICS INSIDE)