Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Fuel Pressure/Oil Temp Sensor Mtg Locations

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 04:03 PM
zachcrosen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel Pressure/Oil Temp Sensor Mtg Locations

I am looking to possibly add a few more gauges to monitor some more things in my setup. I want to do the Blitz Performer hose with water temp gauge/sensor because I like the way the blue hose looks. I am not sure which other gauge to do. I am thinking of either the fuel pressure or oil temp gauges. I want to be able to install the gauge myself. Are either of these 2 fairly easy to install myself? Where do the sensors go for each gauge?

Also, for those of you who have installed 1 or 2 gauges in the nav cubby, where did you get the fancy trim piece?

Thanks,
Old 04-11-2006, 04:08 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

crawford sells or used to sell the cubby gauge bracket - like $35 or so, black
Old 04-12-2006, 04:57 AM
MoodDude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take a look at SPA Design, they have dual guages that are programmable, with led light alarms! I have there oil temp/pressure mounted in the stock location for the oil pressure. Wish I would have bought the rest of my guages from them!
Old 04-12-2006, 08:54 AM
zachcrosen

I know exactly which gauges I am wanting to use, I am just not sure on which one I want whether t be oil temp or fuel pressure. I am going to get the Defi D Gauges since I already have the boost and EGT ones. I also need to know, for those of you who have used the nav cubby to locate their gauges, what trim piece you bought. If it wasnt bought as an assy, then what was needed to fabricate it?
Old 04-12-2006, 08:58 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by zachcrosen
I know exactly which gauges I am wanting to use, I am just not sure on which one I want whether t be oil temp or fuel pressure. I am going to get the Defi D Gauges since I already have the boost and EGT ones. I also need to know, for those of you who have used the nav cubby to locate their gauges, what trim piece you bought. If it wasnt bought as an assy, then what was needed to fabricate it?
As I said in my post, it was a piece of carbon fiber from a race car that protocav provided and JimRHIT cut to fit...
Old 04-12-2006, 01:51 PM
zachcrosen

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
As I said in my post, it was a piece of carbon fiber from a race car that protocav provided and JimRHIT cut to fit...
Yes MIA, I know what you said. I do not have the luxury of the parts nor skilled labor to do this. Thats why I was asking for anyone else's input!
Old 04-12-2006, 01:59 PM
MoodDude

I just used a piece of plastic from a wrecked 350Z interior. That way it matches and is easy to cut.
I hear you that you know what brand you want, I bought the same ones. Then I came across SPA design when I wanted oil temp and wanted to install it where my oil pressure gauge was, yet didn't want to loose my pressure. After getting it and installing it, now I wish I had bought only SPA design. Just take a look before you buy. I think you can even get one that has both oil temp and fuel pressure in one gauge!
Old 04-12-2006, 02:00 PM
arizzee

bad output.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:11 PM
MIAPLAYA

Yes MIA, I know what you said. I do not have the luxury of the parts nor skilled labor to do this. Thats why I was asking for anyone else's input!
Well let me see if I can get my hands on some more of that. YOu would need to cut it to fit and cut the gauge holes though. I'm sure an audio shop could do that part. I'll talk to a buddy here and see if he can score any.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:15 PM
zachcrosen

Well let me see if I can get my hands on some more of that. YOu would need to cut it to fit and cut the gauge holes though. I'm sure an audio shop could do that part. I'll talk to a buddy here and see if he can score any.
Kool man. Thanks!
Old 04-12-2006, 02:22 PM
MIAPLAYA

Kool man. Thanks!
Well I talked to my guy and he doesn't have an flat sheets of carbon fiber laying around HOWEVER, if there are others interested he can do a run of NAV compartment CF gauge mounts. Similar to mine but finished a lot nicer. Mine is just flat carbon off a race car not meant for cosmetic purposes. This would be similar in finish to the Evo R CF dash pieces. He can even do Carbon Kevlar if you want to change the tint a bit. I don't know how many would be needed for the run. He's checking into that now but it shouldn't be that many. Anyone else interested? It would be pre-cut to fit two 2 1/16" gauges.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:33 PM
teh215

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A former member here ("reen") used to make a panel that would allow you to mount gauges in the NAV cubby if you do not have the NAV system. It was made out of CF. I got one from him and it worked great. He is no longer making them but, last time I spoke to him he still had a few around he could sell. You can probably get ahold of him from http://www.reenmachine.com/. I may a few pics around if you need them ...

HTH,
Rob
Old 04-12-2006, 02:35 PM
zachcrosen

I am not a big fan of CF so I will likely have a local stereo shop make me a piece wrapped in black vinyl!
Old 04-12-2006, 02:47 PM
MIAPLAYA

I am not a big fan of CF so I will likely have a local stereo shop make me a piece wrapped in black vinyl!
Or that will work Either way...
Old 04-13-2006, 02:05 PM
nateg35

Sorry to hijack this thread a little,

I have the defi oil temp gauge and it's about 140F while cruising on hwy and about 190~200 when stuck in traffic. I'm in CA and weather is around 60~70...Is this normal or should I start looking for oil cooler...hot summer is comming and I want to get prepared. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated
Old 04-13-2006, 02:09 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by nateg35
Sorry to hijack this thread a little,

I have the defi oil temp gauge and it's about 140F while cruising on hwy and about 190~200 when stuck in traffic. I'm in CA and weather is around 60~70...Is this normal or should I start looking for oil cooler...hot summer is comming and I want to get prepared. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated
Where are you reading oil temp from?
Old 04-13-2006, 02:12 PM
nateg35

Where are you reading oil temp from?
the installer tapped it into the adaptor where the oil filter fit into
Old 04-13-2006, 02:18 PM
zachcrosen

the installer tapped it into the adaptor where the oil filter fit into
Are you running an adapter similar to the one GReddy makes that Z1 Perf. sells? I just found out about this a few minutes ago and think I am going to go with that and get the oil temp gauge! BTW, what exactly do high oil temps tell you other than its running hot? And what is normal?

I am basically wanting to get these because the Blitz hose looks good and the gauges look good!
Old 04-13-2006, 02:21 PM
nateg35

what exactly do high oil temps tell you other than its running hot? And what is normal?

I am basically wanting to get these because the Blitz hose looks good and the gauges look good!

I'm seeking the answer to this
Old 04-14-2006, 03:44 PM
350Zteve

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm seeking the answer to this
Oil temp tells you if your endangering the engine with excessively high oil temps. Rod and main bearings will not receive proper lubrication if the oil is too hot. This really only comes in to play during track use where you're at high rpms for long periods of time.

Motor oils start to lose their lubricity as they get hotter. This is bad news for your bearings. At 300° oil temp, you bearings will quickly become toast. Also, what many don't realize is that the temp reading you get in the oil pan is about 50° COOLER than the temp of the oil as its passing the bearings. You want to see temps below 220° on the gauge so you know your safe.