Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

In Mourning

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006 | 06:45 PM
booger

Originally Posted by VN_350z
stillen stage 2 is good way 2 go
There are [2] Stillen cars right now that are detonating and closing the gaps on the plugs...so they can blow motors also
Old 04-17-2006 | 08:59 PM
calimarc

Thanks everyone for the support I will be back up and running eventually. Its going to suck to have to wait til I can afford to build. Got time to shop around and do some more homework. God that car was soo fun...it just puts a smile on my face thinking of the rush. As far as the Stillen comment goes... that does sound like a safe choice. Just don't ever get near a TT beast like I had. You'll never be happy after that
I think the goal of my rebuild will be 525 rwhp and as much life out of the motor as possible. For those who know...If I blew the piston ring would that mean I can salvage my block? Of course I understand if I threw a rod then that means having to buy the short block too. My shop is going to throw some figures at me tomorrow. I will be looking at several options now that we have many differant choices on the market.

Last edited by calimarc; 04-17-2006 at 09:06 PM.
Old 04-17-2006 | 09:08 PM
mrtomcat

I blew a ring once and the block looked ok, so we just replaced the piston and the ring but the car eats up oil now (my celica) so my guess is that you'll need a new block...on the other hand it might be good enough to get sleeved
Old 04-17-2006 | 09:30 PM
G352NV

Sorry to hear it! Man there droppin left and right! Block should be cool for a rebuild.
Old 04-17-2006 | 10:45 PM
acg

Oh damn Marc, sorry to hear your loss. I was just watching the video of us racing just this past weekend and thinking what a fun time we had that day.

Hope you get to build her sooner rather than later.......you could always go Vortech
Old 04-17-2006 | 10:54 PM
sentry65
the burninator
Premier Member

sorry to hear about the engine - if I blow mine up, I'm going to be hosed for awhile before getting the car back up again cause I spent all my money on the extras - fuel system, carbon clutch, misc stuff, etc etc instead of a built engine. So I'd be in your same boat with having to wait a bit to gather up some money for a rebuild

can't believe APS TT's are popping engines left and right this week I really like that kit - err let me rephrase that, I can't believe engines are blowing up when they're running APS TT's
Old 04-18-2006 | 03:00 AM
Madelinot

Holy macro, another one? That really gets me nervous.... I keep thinking about this now when I drive my car, wondering when she's gonna blow up. I'm officially on the lookout for a new spare engine. If I can build one and have it ready to drop it in, that would be really good... My wife is gonna have a fit, I can just hear her already...

Anyway, best of luck on your rebuild, and let us know how it goes...

Later,
Old 04-18-2006 | 03:43 AM
chimmike

damn, all these aps blown motors lately. crazy.
Old 04-18-2006 | 07:09 AM
calimarc

I always felt I was on the razor's edge with the power I was after with this stock block. I really did know I was gambling and was hoping I'd beat what I felt where the odds. Was planning on an engine build all along. I don't regret it...I do believe those who keep around 400 rwhp have much better chances of a longer life.
I also believe that if you live near your shop and can have your tune adjusted and monitored that helps quite a bit. I am 3 hours away from any decent shop. Its a trip because I was really trying to be patient with my funds and do a build up and the install of my kit at the same time back in October. My patients ran out and I went forward. O well...there will be no crying from me. When the time is right I'll be back.
Old 04-18-2006 | 09:30 AM
1G'

Sorry to hear Calimarc, that's Fuged up man
Old 04-18-2006 | 09:51 AM
calimarc

Originally Posted by 1G'
Sorry to hear Calimarc, that's Fuged up man
Thanks...it is mind blowing when you think of the money involved for this "hobbie". But it makes me happy and I look at all the fun I have and will have. I don't get drunk anymore, give my money to casios, and narrowed the money I spend down to one woman. So what the hell....
At this rate though I will be driving a Pinto for retirement hoping for someone to rear end me !
Old 04-18-2006 | 10:11 AM
theking

Only if you went to .020 overbore pistons. I blew a ringland on an overbore block and my only option was the Darton Sleeves.
Originally Posted by calimarc
If I blew the piston ring would that mean I can salvage my block?
Old 04-18-2006 | 10:15 AM
BrianLG35C

Thanks...it is mind blowing when you think of the money involved for this "hobbie". But it makes me happy and I look at all the fun I have and will have. I don't get drunk anymore, give my money to casios, and narrowed the money I spend down to one woman. So what the hell....
At this rate though I will be driving a Pinto for retirement hoping for someone to rear end me !
Exactly, it's amazing how much you can spend on just the new block setups. Only the people on this forum understand, other than my significant other, almost every else in life, thinks I'm crazy. Now even more!
Old 04-18-2006 | 10:19 AM
calimarc

Originally Posted by theking
Only if you went to .020 overbore pistons. I blew a ringland on an overbore block and my only option was the Darton Sleeves.
I popped a stock motor... or are you saying that my rebuilt engine would require .020 overbore pistons? Isn't .020 overbore pistons somewhat "standard" for our rebuilds?
Old 04-18-2006 | 11:20 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore
Premier Member

13psi on a stock motor with 10.3:1 compression is playing with fire, it's good that you recognized that. Good luck with the build.
Old 04-18-2006 | 11:23 AM
theking

Yep just go with .020" pistons. Be sure to get the Arias ED pistons(from Sharif of course ). I got the original Arias' and I busted a ringland. The ED's are made for boost(as is evident by the huge ringlands).
I popped a stock motor... or are you saying that my rebuilt engine would require .020 overbore pistons? Isn't .020 overbore pistons somewhat "standard" for our rebuilds?
Old 04-18-2006 | 11:35 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner
Premier Member

Good luck with everything man-always sad to hear....
Old 04-18-2006 | 02:11 PM
calimarc

You guys rock....how long before I get my "special jacket" in the mail for the BLOWN TO BITS club! I've made a few calls and am waiting for some responses. If anyone in business wants to pm some suggestions / quotes go ahead. Looking for an engine that will last at 500 rwhp and atleast 450 tq.
Old 04-18-2006 | 02:22 PM
barthelb
Master
Premier Member

Ah geez, man these things always seem to happen to all the wrong people. Out of all the people that i know that have blown motors I feel bad cuz they are all cool people. Cuz like alot of people know me, Im tough on mine and with the occasional Thermostat thing i get it just takes it and keeps going "knocks on wood". I wish you luck with your build and everything. I hope it all works out and in the end, your baby will be back and safer than ever. Good luck Marc.

Forgot to mention, maybe with the oil prices some of these refineries are skimping on quality gasoline just to get it out to meet the requirements, netting in a lower quality (AKI) gasoline. I believe our chitty gas has a lot to do with the blown motors in cali. I use the same gas station all the time just because of this.

You guys rock....how long before I get my "special jacket" in the mail for the BLOWN TO BITS club! I've made a few calls and am waiting for some responses. If anyone in business wants to pm some suggestions / quotes go ahead. Looking for an engine that will last at 500 rwhp and atleast 450 tq.

Last edited by barthelb; 04-18-2006 at 02:24 PM.
Old 04-18-2006 | 03:26 PM
AReddy14

after hearing all these stories i'm getting more and more scared. what's the approximate price range on an engine build?

Quick Reply: In Mourning