Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

In Mourning

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006 | 03:54 PM
roncfpz

Sorry to hear the news and best of luck to you in the rebuild. I appreciate you sharing this with us on the forum. It is helpful and changes my thinking on pushing any further on the stock motor.
Old 04-18-2006 | 03:56 PM
overZealous1

once i get my block done with all the anti headlift customizing, i am going to start offering built motors also. but they will mandatorily come with 1/2" studs and all the other things being done to mine like thermal coatings and friction coatings, and ported heads. we have figured easy ways to do this to keep costs down and will keep price competetive to other total long block packages not offering "all the frills".

now back to your motor. so the engine still runs, but just makes a ticking sound and some smoke? if your motor no longer will run, i will prolly say the motor is junk. if it will still run, you are prolly in luck, and can reuse the block. i have broken ringlands before on other cars and was able to just toss in new pistons and rings and put a slight crosshatch in the bores (to seat the new rings) and the new rings sealed perfect and never had a prob again.
now if you hear an infamous "forks in a blender" sound and the car won't run, budget in a used long block, chances are you would need it. let me know if you need some advice.
Old 04-18-2006 | 04:24 PM
bigbri

HOLY S H I T...can't belive I didn't see this untill now....I get my car back and yours blows...guess no vids for a while... Sorry to hear man...give me a call....
Old 04-18-2006 | 04:30 PM
calimarc

My understanding is if I blew a piston ring than I would not have trailed the infamous river of oil behind me ...is that right?? I think it most likely was a rod due to the oil every where. Although I don't remember seeing coolant (lol)...
Old 04-18-2006 | 04:38 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore
Premier Member

Originally Posted by calimarc
My understanding is if I blew a piston ring than I would not have trailed the infamous river of oil behind me ...is that right?? I think it most likely was a rod due to the oil every where. Although I don't remember seeing coolant (lol)...
Does the motor still run? If it does, there's pretty much no way you threw a rod..
Old 04-18-2006 | 04:41 PM
calimarc

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
Does the motor still run? If it does, there's pretty much no way you threw a rod..
So if it runs with a crappy noise then it most likely is not a rod? I know I don't have any oil in the car so will I harm the hunk of metal any more just trying to start it for a second? I really do appreciate your help.
Old 04-18-2006 | 04:42 PM
paranormal
Evil Boy 4 LIFE
Premier Member

everyone with the aps is going right around the same time.. thats when my first motor went too.. weird ****
Old 04-18-2006 | 04:46 PM
overZealous1

you won't hurt it any further, lol. the trail of oil pretty much means some sort of debri (that is usually needed for correct motor operation) caused a hole somewhere. an engine would have kept running had it just been a broken ringland. if it stopped after the noise and oil, it is prolly a big paper weight.

sorry to hear, but look to the positive, the only way to go is bigger and better, lol.
Old 04-18-2006 | 04:49 PM
calimarc

Originally Posted by overZealous1
the only way to go is bigger and better, lol.
ahhh....my wife says "longer and longer"....bigger not da problem!
Old 04-18-2006 | 04:53 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore
Premier Member

So if it runs with a crappy noise then it most likely is not a rod? I know I don't have any oil in the car so will I harm the hunk of metal any more just trying to start it for a second? I really do appreciate your help.
I would get under the car and find where the oil is coming from before I'd consider starting it again.
Old 04-18-2006 | 04:55 PM
calimarc

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
I would get under the car and find where the oil is coming from before I'd consider starting it again.
Yeah...I will get around to it. Not like the car is going anywhere. She is in the garage right when the driving season was to begin.
Old 04-18-2006 | 05:00 PM
Cannysage

sorry to hear this. 4k rpm? I don't think you busted up your not or pistons. Most likely a head gasket. Not always, but usually, it takes quite a bit of heat and pressure on your engine to bust them up. I guess you can throw down 2.5k to get it partially rebuilt or just go all the way... kinda bizarre how your engine went, though.
Old 04-18-2006 | 05:18 PM
booger

Originally Posted by paranormal
everyone with the aps is going right around the same time.. thats when my first motor went too.. weird ****
Ive asked this before , but never got a reply . Does any one think this maybe caused by winter blend gas ? Its getting nicer out and I dont think gas company's have gotten thier summer blend out to the station yet...Any thoughts ?
Old 04-18-2006 | 05:21 PM
calimarc

Originally Posted by booger
Ive asked this before , but never got a reply . Does any one think this maybe caused by winter blend gas ? Its getting nicer out and I dont think gas company's have gotten thier summer blend out to the station yet...Any thoughts ?
I'm running Sunaco 100 and VP 109. Don't know if I would have even got caught up in the stupid winter / summer blend b.s.
Old 04-18-2006 | 05:28 PM
booger

No I guess you wouldnt have
Old 04-25-2006 | 12:14 PM
gringott

Sorry on your loss. Best of luck on your Z's rebirth.
Old 04-25-2006 | 01:09 PM
captj3

Sorry to hear about your loss. Let us know which way you go for the new motor. Good luck
Old 04-25-2006 | 01:21 PM
BoOsTedz33TT

I have the best wife in the world because she is mourning right along with me.
Sorry to hear about the bad luck, it seems like you got a cool wife, that understands our hobbie, look at it like this, good thing it was your car that blew a rod and not your wife, right??
Old 04-25-2006 | 01:48 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by booger
CaliMarc was running 100 octane fuel, so the winter blend probably wasnt an issue. Good point though. Technically, these blended fuels do not change octane. In fact, ethanol and other addiditives oftentimes increase the octane ratings.

CM, its not too late for Arias ED pistons. Sorry..just had to plug them.
Old 04-25-2006 | 02:42 PM
calimarc

Thanks everyone for your condolence Im glad I've been able to keep this in perspective. As much as I loved and miss the car- it remains only a material item...and trust me I am far from rich. I have some quotes to look at from my shop and from some engine builders. I have a quote that would return my car to stock or to have a built motor without sleves. There rest of the quotes are from engine builders I would trust. The only thing about buying a built engine isn't so much the added effort of shipping... but I'd prefer them to do the install and tune also. Who knows...not like I am making a decision anytime soon.
You know other things have come up for me also that I need to consider. This car could have very easily took me to jail or worse ( hurt someone ). I am not a supersitious person but I do try and look at things from all angles. Cars are not my only interest lol...I like traveling and scuba diving

Quick Reply: In Mourning