Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Fuel smell present after AAM RFS install without evidence of fuel leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006 | 07:55 AM
vitaminZ

Default Fuel smell present after AAM RFS install without evidence of fuel leak

To those of you have had the AAM RFS installed or have done it themselves: Does it always smell like fuel around your Zs? i have no visible leaks anywhere as far as i could tell but there is always a stong fuel odor present around my car. Fuel level is not dropping faster than normal so i am sure it is not an actual leak. i don't really smell it once inside my Z, just when i am outside. Anyone have a clue as to why the smell exists when no leaks or evidence of are present? i haven't really been worried about it because i had read about the fuel smell before i installed my RFS so i was prepared, should i be worried? Anybody have any ideas or theories? AAM want to chime on this? Could be a coincidence but could it have something to do with the fuel hose recall?
Old 04-24-2006 | 08:03 AM
vq35carel

Problem is the steel braided lines if you wish to remove the smell entirely you will need to upgrade all your fuel return lines to kevlar(very hard to find and $$$). I know from expiernece that the earl tyoe steel briaded lines will breath thus exuming fuel smell. F.Y.I. XS Engineering has a connect on these kevlar lines.
Old 04-24-2006 | 08:03 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner
Premier Member

Its normal the lines "sweat"....mine did get much better after about 1 week or so
Old 04-24-2006 | 08:07 AM
MIAPLAYA

Crown makes some nice Teflon core, Kevlar re-inforced, SS braided, and clear coated lines. If you sent them all the dimensions they could make you a set of replacement lines if you want them.
Example: http://www.mossyperformance.com/product/?id=3269

http://www.crownperformance.com/
Old 04-24-2006 | 09:19 AM
BoOsTedz33TT

i keep mass bottles offf cologne un my car
Old 04-24-2006 | 01:28 PM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout
Premier Member

also check the seal on the top of your fuel bucket. If it's not seated properly it will smell
Old 04-24-2006 | 02:17 PM
booger

Originally Posted by ZU L8R
also check the seal on the top of your fuel bucket. If it's not seated properly it will smell
Yup...the seal gets fuel on it and swells . It will not go back into the groove . Happen to me too
Old 04-24-2006 | 02:19 PM
sentry65
the burninator
Premier Member

my CJ motorsports return system doesn't smell like fuel. It has a kevlar coating on its lines
Old 04-24-2006 | 02:38 PM
failsafe306

Does it still smell after it sits in the garage overnight? If not, you may have a leak at one of the injectors or a hose connection. If it doesn't smell after it sits for a while, pop the hood, turn the key to the ACC position but don't start it. This will prime the fuel system and build some pressure in it, without actually starting the car. Then get out and smell for gas and check for any leaks. I found a huge tear in an injector o-ring by doing this.
Old 04-24-2006 | 02:53 PM
vitaminZ

Originally Posted by ZU L8R
I don't really smell it in my interior so i am sure i am good there. it is so faint it is negligible.
Old 04-24-2006 | 02:57 PM
vitaminZ

Originally Posted by failsafe306
Does it still smell after it sits in the garage overnight? If not, you may have a leak at one of the injectors or a hose connection. If it doesn't smell after it sits for a while, pop the hood, turn the key to the ACC position but don't start it. This will prime the fuel system and build some pressure in it, without actually starting the car. Then get out and smell for gas and check for any leaks. I found a huge tear in an injector o-ring by doing this.
thanks for the advice and info. It does smell after sitting in the garage overnight. i always prime my fuel system prior to cranking. i have looked real good in all the accessible places. have not noticed any leaks or evidence of. no fuel on the ground just the smell. i will take a another look though. thanks again.
Old 04-24-2006 | 05:40 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19
Premier Member

I have it too and AAM has never been able to explain it. It has been two years and it doesn't go away. I don't have a leak anywhere. I don't think I have failsafe's problem since it ALWAYS smells in my garage even after the car has been shut off for a day or two.

I spoke with Doug Stewart at Crawford about this and he seems to think it is the seal on the fuel tank as well. It has to do with the swelling thing that ZU Later and Booger mentioned.
Old 04-24-2006 | 05:57 PM
Jokestrap

SGP says that it is not normal and they know why it happens. They figured it out. Call them, they'll tell you how to get rid of the problem. I just broke my car in for one week before the final tune/dyno and it did not smell at all, not one bit...
Old 04-24-2006 | 06:00 PM
vitaminZ

Originally Posted by Dr Bonz
I have it too and AAM has never been able to explain it. It has been two years and it doesn't go away. I don't have a leak anywhere. I don't think I have failsafe's problem since it ALWAYS smells in my garage even after the car has been shut off for a day or two.

I spoke with Doug Stewart at Crawford about this and he seems to think it is the seal on the fuel tank as well. It has to do with the swelling thing that ZU Later and Booger mentioned.
If it is the fuel tank seal, why is the odor not significant in my car? i would assume it would be. we have the same symtoms it seems like. i am not too worried, i am feeling more and more like it is nothing to worry about. if you have had the smell for two years and no problems with your fuel system, that just makes me more secure about the smell not being a big issue.
Old 04-24-2006 | 07:16 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Its not normal, you should not smell fuel at al when properly installed. Check everything under pressure, sound like a leak to me, and leaks can cause fire..
Old 04-24-2006 | 07:34 PM
leemik
!
Premier Member

Mine smells like fuel most of the time.. it's mostly on warm starts that make the fuel smell strong for me... changed the gas tank o-ring 3 times.. doesn't help.. I recently noticed that it's coming from the front of the car tho.. passenger side wheel well is where it's stongest.. look around.. see no leaks..

I brought it to avalon once.. the mechanic Jeff didn't know I had the return fuel system done.. popped hood, saw the FPR and the lines and said i bet this car smells like fuel all the time ??? lol.. I was like wha??? how'd you know??? he said most regular SS fuel lines breath fuel vapor normally after a while.. :shrugs:

--mike
Old 04-24-2006 | 07:43 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by leemik
he said most regular SS fuel lines breath fuel vapor normally after a while.. :shrugs:

--mike
That is true, but is should not be strong enough to smell it most of the time..
Old 04-24-2006 | 07:58 PM
vitaminZ

When i get a chance i will order and install a new gasket. if nothing changes though, i would't know where else to look. i have searched for leaks but have not seen any or evidence of any. i guess i have to get under my car while it is running to see if there are any drips anywhere.
Old 04-24-2006 | 08:06 PM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout
Premier Member

check and see if's it's where you tapped into the stock hard line. first place I would look
Old 04-24-2006 | 08:09 PM
westpak
SFZCC
Premier Member

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
Its not normal, you should not smell fuel at al when properly installed. Check everything under pressure, sound like a leak to me, and leaks can cause fire..
I agree I did mine and although it smelt for a few days it went away, it depends on how careful you were taking the tank out and putting back in and if you got fuel on the interior.

If the big oring was not sealing you would also get fuel leakage when filling it up.

Quick Reply: Fuel smell present after AAM RFS install without evidence of fuel leak