Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

best turbo kit on mostly stock engine??!?! Daily driven

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 02:53 PM
scottelliott

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best turbo kit on mostly stock engine??!?! Daily driven

well i was at the pivital crossroad in my life in college. With gas prices and all should i buy a motorcycle or get a turbo system for the z? I decieded on...SCREW GAS PRICES , lets get a turbo!!! Anywhoot down to subject, I have a 2004 tourning edition with 30k miles. I have basic mods, i.e.- borla td, plenum spacer, pop charger intake, dc headers. I have done some research, granted i could do more and will do more accordingly. Im not sure if I should do a tt or single t. But what is the best/safest kit to run on a mostly stock car? I dont want a hp monster, nor do i want to have it in the shop every other week. I just want a daily driver thats got some more go if I do please. Any input would be apriciated. thanks
~scott
Old 05-04-2006, 03:08 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

click here for the answers to all of your questions

https://my350z.com/forum/search.php
Old 05-04-2006, 03:16 PM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Originally Posted by scottelliott
well i was at the pivital crossroad in my life in college. With gas prices and all should i buy a motorcycle or get a turbo system for the z? I decieded on...SCREW GAS PRICES , lets get a turbo!!! Anywhoot down to subject, I have a 2004 tourning edition with 30k miles. I have basic mods, i.e.- borla td, plenum spacer, pop charger intake, dc headers. I have done some research, granted i could do more and will do more accordingly. Im not sure if I should do a tt or single t. But what is the best/safest kit to run on a mostly stock car? I dont want a hp monster, nor do i want to have it in the shop every other week. I just want a daily driver thats got some more go if I do please. Any input would be apriciated. thanks
~scott
First off, the only thing you will be keeping from your mod list is the plenum spacer and exhaust. The good news, you can sell your headers and intake on the forums and have more money for turbos! The bad news....you will get addicted to boost and get to a point where your Borla exhaust will find its way off the car too . Do your research thuroughly and make your own opinions. A good tip when searching for the which TT is better thing...most everybody on here has only had one kit, so most everybody on here is bias, which again, leads me to say...make your own opinions. Good luck!
Old 05-04-2006, 03:16 PM
cellphoneguy

Originally Posted by USN HM 350Z
click here for the answers to all of your questions

https://my350z.com/forum/search.php?
Can we seriously go one day without someone saying "use the search button"? It's getting old. There are always new products coming out, in which old threads may not help. All he is asking for is input, and im sure with your 4000+ posts you could probably give him some advice.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:55 PM
theking

How about going one week without someone asking a question that has been answered 5 times over and that always ends in a "my turbo kit is better" argument. The same question is getting old. How about the "I have $xxxxx to spend. What should I get?" As you probably notice mostly the vendors answer these questions because everyone else is tired answering and had no vested interest to do so. How about a little STFU! Feel free to flame me.

Originally Posted by cellphoneguy
Can we seriously go one day without someone saying "use the search button"? It's getting old. There are always new products coming out, in which old threads may not help. All he is asking for is input, and im sure with your 4000+ posts you could probably give him some advice.

Last edited by theking; 05-04-2006 at 04:00 PM.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:11 PM
veilside350zTT

I agree with them about the same question being asked alot.. But the way i look at it is.. If u just wanna keep ur internals stock and dont plan on going over 400rwhp.. than get the Turbonetics kit single turbo.. its cheaper than greddy and install is half as long..
Old 05-04-2006, 04:56 PM
MI 35th
OGPremierMafia

+1 You got me USN!!!

I was gonna say search button but your link, i didnt even see it coming!

Yes spend like an hour just searching the FI forums, im sure youll find all the anwers, anyway most of it is opinion!
Old 05-04-2006, 08:06 PM
scottelliott

I do apriciate all the replies thus far. I have done the search MANY times. So far this is what i have derived:
1) many people have the turbonetics kit; thi ssait MANY PEOPLE HAVE BLOWN UP THERE ENGINES!
2) people sugest the aps turbo as well.
3) some people say use the search on the website. ( no ****, im trying ot get opinions that are more than a year old. for some reason the forums stop after a year or so? maybe its my computer, ill try another on in the morning.)

thanks for everyones input so far, the more the merrier!
thanks again
~scott
Old 05-04-2006, 08:26 PM
MI 35th
OGPremierMafia

Originally Posted by scottelliott
I do apriciate all the replies thus far. I have done the search MANY times. So far this is what i have derived:
1) many people have the turbonetics kit; thi ssait MANY PEOPLE HAVE BLOWN UP THERE ENGINES!
2) people sugest the aps turbo as well.
3) some people say use the search on the website. ( no ****, im trying ot get opinions that are more than a year old. for some reason the forums stop after a year or so? maybe its my computer, ill try another on in the morning.)

thanks for everyones input so far, the more the merrier!
thanks again
~scott
1. There have been many blown motors on all the kits, its just how it is!, Turbonetics has a large following on this site, and has significantly more users for its single turbo than APS, so odds are something were to go wrong itd be statistically TN, however with the kit, must of the time its not the kits fault for the Blown motor, usually, tuner, other circumstances, ie bad gas etc etc.
2. APS has a good unit, giving you the benefit of the doubt i will assume, you've seen that TN has great repore on this site with rapid responce vs. APS (who still has a good service) but, Its also a feeling the TN produces more power and has a more tuner friendly setup, with stages such as 1 , 1.5, 2, tuner kits, meth inj etc. Still though APS has blown motors but its all personal pref.
3. The community is quite nice once you lose your newb status! JK It took me almost 6 mos to get 400 posts because i was still learning alot, reading what was here more than posting... By all means post away, But the search button is the my most valuable tool! I continue to learn but i have more input to say now, so needless to say becoming a post *****!
4. Ask Mia how he like his TN kit, or Alberto how he likes his, Or Taurran... (All very Active) the Single turbo seems to be the daily driven friendly FI since TQ is little higher in the rev range and a lttle more ability to not be so tempted!!! then again we turbo to go fast!
I mean a good way to find things out are to ask direct questions! I hate to sound like a figgin preacher! Just being constructive, since seems like some want to critisize about directing you to the SEARCH!
PS.. Ask USN how he likes his JWT, then again he has a bada$$ setup with built motor, so i might be out of the scope but its a thought!
-Interested in crazy power on stock block you might have found big bri's posts with his APS TT setup, or Sharif's Ulitmate Greddy Pkg... All of these came up on my searches a few min ago for ex. Happy Hunting.

-Don
Old 05-04-2006, 10:03 PM
MIAPLAYA

My vote of course being for the Turbonetics kit. Blown motors are all over. Every kit has had a blown motor and all are usually a result of some other contributing factor aside from the kit. AS everyone else search and determine which kit is best for you. 50+ members think the Turbonetics kit was right for them, likewise so have 40+ Greddy owners...
Old 05-05-2006, 12:18 AM
taurran

I really don't care what you buy.

But seriously, I don't see why people say "a lot" of people have blown their motor on the TN kit. For the amount of kits out there, it is a *very* safe kit.

Last edited by taurran; 05-05-2006 at 12:31 AM.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:32 AM
jdx911

Originally Posted by taurran
I really don't care what you buy.

But seriously, I don't see why people say "a lot" of people have blown their motor on the TN kit. For the amount of kits out there, it is a *very* safe kit.
I would even go as far as saying that all of the 350z turbo kits aare very safe with the right tuning.

If I were you I would spend my time searching for a good tuner rather than asking which kit is the "best".
Old 05-05-2006, 11:36 AM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Originally Posted by jdx911

If I were you I would spend my time searching for a good tuner rather than asking which kit is the "best".
Thats the best advice in this thread.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:00 PM
GXCLUSIV
Gymrats G35 TT

First find a shop that is very experienced with FI install in a 350z and is familiar with the FI kit you chose. Example, if you chose APS kit, best to have an APS dealer install it, since they know their kit very well and can tune the unichip. IMO, our VQ and tranny is the weak point when going FI, but keep boost down and well tuned and you should have alot of miles with your stock VQ.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:59 PM
scottelliott

thanks for the replies so far. I'm pretty sure that i will have JAPTRIX in west palm, fl do the install. They did my header install and apon wondering around there shop there were 2 350z's torn apart and haveing turbo's installed. They sell both aps and turbonetics kits so it sounds pretty safe either way one chosses to go. If anyone has any input on that i would apriciate it .
~scott
Old 05-05-2006, 11:09 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by KenStyle 350GT
IMO, our VQ and tranny is the weak point when going FI, but keep boost down and well tuned and you should have alot of miles with your stock VQ.
Hmm.. uh... I'm going to have to disagree on the tranny subject. That might be true for the 5at tranny, but the 6mt is quite stout and holds up well even under big power.

Also, this motor holds boost quite well for a factory NA motor. Tuning is the main factor, but being able to consistently double horsepower output under boost on a high compression motor is still quite impressive.
Old 05-06-2006, 01:25 AM
WA2GOOD
Banned

Originally Posted by taurran
Hmm.. uh... I'm going to have to disagree on the tranny subject. That might be true for the 5at tranny, but the 6mt is quite stout and holds up well even under big power.

Also, this motor holds boost quite well for a factory NA motor. Tuning is the main factor, but being able to consistently double horsepower output under boost on a high compression motor is still quite impressive.
I agree.....+1
Old 05-06-2006, 04:02 AM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Just from reading these 350Z forums for a few years, my impression is that a majority of the blown engines have come from no tune, bad tune, or malfunctioning engine management. Sometimes a faulty install is involved, but engine management seems to be the key. Unless your motor has a "weak link" or faulty part that wouldn't normally be stressed enough under normal operation to fail, then went you add the high temps and overall stress of FI you will expose this part and it will fail.

So my 2 cents: engine management (and the tune) are the key.

I might add that I got the Power Enterprise TT kit a year ago, had it installed at stock boost, no reflash, and everyone on here said you are crazy get that thing to a tuner right away etc etc. Bottom line, if you follow what PE says, leave it at stock boost, it runs fine and works great. I ran it that way for about 8 months as a daily driver, about 20K, in every weather condition, and it works great. I never had a SES light related to the TT or any other problem. My first SES turbo related was after I put a UTEC on at the end off December. My first real overboosting was after I put on a boost controller.
So at least with the PE kit, if you leave it stock, don't mess with it, it works great and safe. When you add more wires, more electronics, more fuel piping, more everything, you have added more variables that can go wrong. That is a fact of life. That is why the cars you see in the tuner magazines that are making giant HP aren't daily drivers. When you live on the edge, you fall off.

Last edited by gringott; 05-06-2006 at 04:10 AM.
Old 05-06-2006, 04:10 AM
captj3

Where in florida are you? I have a top notch tuner down here that can take care of you. They can install and dyno tune any of the turbo kits that are out. The only kit that can't be tuned without an addtional ems is the turbonetics stage 1 they use a reflash. But when stage 1.5 is released it will be able to be tuned out of the box. My tuner is authorized dealer for greddy, APS, and turbonetics. PM me for details.
Old 05-06-2006, 06:16 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by captj3
Where in florida are you? I have a top notch tuner down here that can take care of you. They can install and dyno tune any of the turbo kits that are out. The only kit that can't be tuned without an addtional ems is the turbonetics stage 1 they use a reflash. But when stage 1.5 is released it will be able to be tuned out of the box. My tuner is authorized dealer for greddy, APS, and turbonetics. PM me for details.
You're talking about Japtrix? Everyone knows about them so you might as well just say it. Its not like you're giving away the secret location to the bat cave or anything.

Quick Reply: best turbo kit on mostly stock engine??!?! Daily driven