Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Anyone using Blitz SBC i-D boost controller?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 10:02 AM
roneski

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone using Blitz SBC i-D boost controller?

I'm looking at maybe installing one in my car and just wanted to get some impressions.

http://www.blitz-performance.com/Blitz_Boost_Sbc_id.htm

Last edited by roneski; 05-19-2006 at 10:06 AM.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:14 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

In a Carlos Mencia tard voice-dee dee dee

These may be helpful...honestly not many people review boost controllers that much, but from what Ive gathered the Blitz is the best unit-looks wise if you opt for color and functionally. Below is a quick 10 sec search, Im sure you could dig more up.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....ost+controller

Old 05-19-2006, 10:21 AM
roneski

All good links, but I saw them already. Just looking to get a few more reviews from people who have had them installed for a while.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:23 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Yeah man I agree with you. Eventually Il lbe purchasing this unit.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:36 PM
Eagle1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am using a Blitz boost controller, since February on my VRT built motor and JWT TT. So far it has been a solid unit for me, as I have been able to cross check its boost control against my independent boost meter with memory function, and they agree!!!

What I like about the unit is the four preprogram settings. For the street I set it around .7 bar, (around wastegate springs level) which is good for pump gas at California 91 octane. Then I have it set at .8, .9 and 1.0, with the higher levels fueled with 100 octane and blends in between, for the track.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:56 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Where did you mount your unit? Some pics would be nice...
Old 05-19-2006, 01:17 PM
failsafe306

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't have pics, but I mounted my Blitz bc right in front of the shifter. I drilled a small hole just big enough for the wire so you can't see it. Looks really nice if you ask me.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:44 PM
bsp
Sponsor
Brainstorm Performance

We've never had any issues or complaints about the SBC-iD.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:11 PM
HoldThisForMe

I will be running one soon...when I get my car back....it will be mounted where the Navi would have been.
Old 05-19-2006, 05:31 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

It's the best boost controller I have used to date. The color version is a little bit complex to operate. I prefer the black and white version.
Old 05-26-2006, 11:41 AM
roneski

I got mine today. Thanks Sharif.

Now to figure out how to install it on a JWT kit.

I think that I can send the solenoid in to the tap on the intercoolers and have the solenoid out feed the tubes that appear to return to the wastegates. The vacuum line for the brain calls for intake manifold pressure so I most likely can just tap into one of the lines off of the upper plenum.

Am I in the ball park or am I about to make a huge mistake?
Old 05-26-2006, 11:46 AM
roneski

Here's a link to the instructions for reference.

http://www.team3s.com/Blitz%20SBC%20i-D%20manual.pdf
Old 05-26-2006, 02:51 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

PM sent
Old 05-26-2006, 04:11 PM
bverschage

I have had this unit for a few months and love it. I had a stereo shop remove the door above the stereo and built a plate to mount.

Sorry for the bad photos but this will give you an idea.

Old 05-26-2006, 04:24 PM
Philthy
Boost Junkie

I'm using this boost control and have no complaints - it does what it's supposed to do with out any problems. I'll take some pictures tomorrow...
Old 05-26-2006, 08:02 PM
punish_her

Running this controler right now, I like it alot. Verry solid and good safety feature with the boost limiter function. I would recomend using a cilicone hose and not rubber. My rubber one is already degrading to the point I get a boost leak under pressure giving the boost controler false readings.

I had just reset the unit for other issues and I was over boosting a little. like 12psi-14psi. The warning feature on my DEFI and BLITZ, I think, saved my car. Rating so far A+
Old 05-26-2006, 08:05 PM
Gman2004

Is anyone with this boost controller using the Speed Map feature?

- Speed Map - This unique feature allows the SBC i-D to control boost according to the speed of the vehicle (Power Meter i-D required). Speed Map boost control can be set up from a 2 stage to a 4 stage control, which allows the user to set boost according to his driving style. Speed in transfer by infrared between the Power Meter i-D and SBC i-D.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:54 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by punish_her
Running this controler right now, I like it alot. Verry solid and good safety feature with the boost limiter function. I would recomend using a cilicone hose and not rubber. My rubber one is already degrading to the point I get a boost leak under pressure giving the boost controler false readings.

I had just reset the unit for other issues and I was over boosting a little. like 12psi-14psi. The warning feature on my DEFI and BLITZ, I think, saved my car. Rating so far A+
Question on the boost limiter: What settings do you have it set to? I was reading the instructions but am not sure exactly where I should have the limiter setting set at. Here's what it says in the manual:

Limiter
-This fuction is a boost reduction function. Limiter will turn on automatically if boost levels exceed the warning setting.
-Limiter is set in boost ratio.
ex. 0=no boost reduction
99=will reduce boost back to stock
-Recommended setting 7-10

Now, I've been trying to figure this out for a while now, and decided it really wasn't worth it to just get in the car and play with it. I had the limiter set (too high I think) a while back, and it seemed to be causing me to actually spike when I hit the warning level.

So, since this is a boost ratio, wouldn't a lower number actually drop the boost level once you hit the warning level? But, for some reason, in the instructions it says 99 will reduce boost "back to stock". I'm not positive, but "back to stock" sounds like it's referring to dropping the boost back to the the level regulated by the wastegate spring. For that reason, why would they only recommend the setting to be set at 7-10?

I talked to Sharif at Zdayz briefly about this, but we really didn't come to the conclusion as to what setting was best. I'd like to be able to set a limiter that drops boost back to "stock" wastegate levels (7.5psi on my setup).

Any input would be great.

Last edited by taurran; 05-26-2006 at 11:16 PM.
Old 05-27-2006, 01:58 AM
punish_her

The way the warning works has a couple of steps. A little confusing from reading the manual.

1st (no brainer), the warning must be turned on to have it limit your boost.

2nd, reguardless of manual or auto setting for the boost; the warning limit is always in PSI not percentage. It recognizes the limit set and activates you limmiter setting at that point.

3rd your limiter is from 0-99 0 is no boost reduction to 99 which is droped back to original stock boost; all boost is vented down to factory setting for yout FI setup. All the limiter does is release a percentage of boost 0 being nothing happens or the recomended 7-10.

From what I see here is why 7-10. Your power curve is dependant on your boost, say your boosting 10PSI and your limmiter is set to 10%. You excede your 10psi. As soon as you excede your limmit the unit bleeds off 10% of the pressure to drop you below your limit, being 1psi (10% of 10 = 1) so you drop to 9psi and build from there.

If you set the limmiter to say 40% when you hit your warning at 10psi, 40% or 4psi vented to drop you down to 6psi. So you build boost from 6psi, which is a substantial power drop than the previous 10% limmit. You see why they recommend the 7-10psi. Less of a dramatic power drop.

There is one exception to this. The boost controler will not reduce boost below stock level. So if your running a Greddy TT Kit that stock (lets say) has 5.5 psi. If you run 10psi of boost and a 55% on your limmiter and you hit the warning. 55% of the boost, 5.5psi should be vented but 10-5.5 is 4.5psi. The 4.5psi is lower than the stock boost so you will return to stock boost every time you hit the limmiter, NOT 4.5psi. So this setting would be like setting to 99

So basicly do your math and figure out what % is good for your set up. Any setting on the limmiter that will drop you below the stock boost setting is useless. Another thing that will effect all this is your gain setting under the boost option. Which is how fast boost comes on. Under heavy acceleration, if your gain is high you will build boost faster than it can be vented. I have went past the warning level by 2 psi but it corrects quickly. It flashes red and gets your attention quickly.
Old 05-27-2006, 02:13 AM
taurran

Thanks for that explanation.

I guess what my question should have been was if 0 on the limiter was, in fact, 0% reduction of the dialed in boost setting, or 0% reduction of 100% wastegate load. From what I gather by your response, it is % reduction from the dialed in boost setting. If that is the case, if your gain was set too high causing a spike and you had it at 10% reduction, it would theoretically bounce off the boost limiter repeatedly until you lifted off the throttle.

I still can't figure out why my boost controller seemed to spaz out after tweaking the gain and turning on the limiter at the drag strip. I actually dropped the gain to a much more conservative level, yet it started spiking randomly afterwards. At that point I assumed it was my limiter setting that was causing it, because it seemed to go away after I reset the unit and left the limiter off.

Unfortunately, if what you say is true, then this would be impossible as a 0 limiter setting should regulate boost to the auto or manual boost setting.... I'll play around with it a little more this weekend, but I'm stumped as to what caused it.

Last edited by taurran; 05-27-2006 at 02:19 AM.

Quick Reply: Anyone using Blitz SBC i-D boost controller?