Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Oil Cooler/PS cooler airflow mod...

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 09:27 PM
MIAPLAYA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Cooler/PS cooler airflow mod...

So I'm planning to do an oil cooler and PS cooler for the upcoming summer track days. My problem is I don't want to replace the stock bumper with an aftermarket one. I like the stock look too much. So I'm trying to come up with some ideas on how to get adequate airflow to the coolers. How is everyone doing this now? I plan to run the oil cooler on the drivers side and the PS cooler on the passenger side. I'm going to use an Earls or Setrab 19 row oil cooler and the Nismo PS cooler with all new lines for the PS cooler so it can be mounted whereever I need to. What I was thiking is removing the sidemarkers on the bumper and coming up with some sort of air guide to get the air across the cores. Any other ideas or pics of how you guys did it with the stock bumper?
Old 05-23-2006, 09:44 PM
taurran

Phunk posted up an idea he had for this a while back and it turned out looking nice. Basically, he trimmed out the recessed area behind the sidemarkers and put some mesh behind the hole. It looked very nice and low key. I'll try to find his post on it...
Old 05-23-2006, 09:47 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by taurran
Phunk posted up an idea he had for this a while back and it turned out looking nice. Basically, he trimmed out the recessed area behind the sidemarkers and put some mesh behind the hole. It looked very nice and low key. I'll try to find his post on it...
Thanks I did a search but must have missed his thread. I was thinkin of removing those little plastic piece at either end of the stock opening that sort of cover the piping to and from out intercooler and mounting them there but I don't know if there is enough room. Guess I'll have to get the cores and look at it. I'm starting to think maybe I'll use a different power steering cooler then the Nismo. I wonder how effective it is with proper airflow as compared to a Setrab core..
Old 05-23-2006, 09:48 PM
taurran

Actually, here is his post and the pics off the CJM site:

https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-and-interior/191136-a-subtle-front-bumper-vent-mod.html

http://www.cj-motorsports.com/vents.htm
Old 05-23-2006, 09:51 PM
MIAPLAYA

Actually, here is his post and the pics off the CJM site:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=191136

http://www.cj-motorsports.com/vents.htm
Thats a great idea. I'll have to get the cores I plan to use and make sure they fit back there with all the lines..
Old 05-23-2006, 09:52 PM
thawk408

What about mounting them behind the intercooler? I am sure if u get a big core then enough air will pass through the intercooler to cool it. Might not run as cool as if it was mounted in the open, but I am sure it will help and it wont take any bumper modification to do it.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:52 PM
taurran

Another idea would be to use those two black plastic pieces that cover the extreme left and right of the front air dam. You could cut out a slot in each of them, and install some flexible air ducts that run to the sides to route air to the coolers.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:54 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by thawk408
What about mounting them behind the intercooler? I am sure if u get a big core then enough air will pass through the intercooler to cool it. Might not run as cool as if it was mounted in the open, but I am sure it will help and it wont take any bumper modification to do it.
Well my concern is that now I'm trying to use the same airflow to cool the charge air, oil, power steering fluid, and radiator. I think I'd lose a lot of efficiency there.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:55 PM
MIAPLAYA

Another idea would be to use those two black plastic pieces that cover the extreme left and right of the front air dam. You could cut out a slot in each of them, and install some flexible air ducts that run to the sides to route air to the coolers.
Thats a thought too. But then again if the cores fit where those are and have enough of the core exposed I could just mount the cores there... I'll get my hands on the core and check fitment... ugh another $500 bites the dust
Old 05-23-2006, 09:58 PM
thawk408

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Well my concern is that now I'm trying to use the same airflow to cool the charge air, oil, power steering fluid, and radiator. I think I'd lose a lot of efficiency there.
Possibly. Might just depend on how dense the cores are. I think the nismo PS cooler has real thin fins, so it probably would not be a problem. I like taurran's idea about having some flex tubing direct air to the coolers.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:37 PM
mchapman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GTR Z-Tune Example, it uses two one on each side.
Attached Thumbnails Oil Cooler/PS cooler airflow mod...-0505_scc_skyline_15_z.jpg  
Old 05-24-2006, 02:33 AM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

subscribing for more info
Old 05-24-2006, 06:48 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by mchapman
GTR Z-Tune Example, it uses two one on each side.
Thats an excellent idea. Looks like the Rotomolded that air damn though. I'm sure I could get something like that done but I would need to order more then one set to make it cost effective. Hmm I wonder if that could be done out of aluminum or sheet metal with relative ease...
Old 05-24-2006, 09:14 AM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I think this thing can be adapted to most situations, I recently got the size data from Weapon-R. It takes a 3" duct so should be big enough for feeding a PS or Oil cooler shroud. Here are the dimensions from Ray Fong, Weapon*R

Overall Length: 8 7/8”

Height w/o tabs: 2 7/16”

Height w/ tabs: 2 7/8”

Overall depth: 4 3/8”

I could see these in the grill area on either side, with a hose running to PS or oil cooler (perhaps a sheet aluminum shroud?)
Attached Thumbnails Oil Cooler/PS cooler airflow mod...-racinglab_1894_438833648.jpg   Oil Cooler/PS cooler airflow mod...-wr_ramair1.jpg   Oil Cooler/PS cooler airflow mod...-wr_ramair2.jpg   Oil Cooler/PS cooler airflow mod...-wr_ramair3.jpg  
Old 05-24-2006, 11:48 PM
mchapman

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Thats an excellent idea. Looks like the Rotomolded that air damn though. I'm sure I could get something like that done but I would need to order more then one set to make it cost effective. Hmm I wonder if that could be done out of aluminum or sheet metal with relative ease...
I dont see why you couldnt use sheets of aluminum at angles to direct air through.

The GTR has slits on the side of its front bar to direct the air out the side, we dont have these so we would need to find another route.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:13 AM
JoeDirtPharmD

With regards to the PS cooler, you could consider emulating APS' ST relocation (somewhat diff. to see in this pic, sorry):

Old 05-25-2006, 06:35 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by mchapman
I dont see why you couldnt use sheets of aluminum at angles to direct air through.

The GTR has slits on the side of its front bar to direct the air out the side, we dont have these so we would need to find another route.
I guess we could do the same thing also out of some sheet aluminum....damn I need a press..
Old 05-25-2006, 06:36 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by JoeDirtPharmD
With regards to the PS cooler, you could consider emulating APS' ST relocation (somewhat diff. to see in this pic, sorry):

Unfortunately the size of the PS cooler I plan to use would not fit there...Plus I don't see that getting a whole lot of airflow with a stock bumper unless I made air damns. And if I'm going to do that I might as well move it...
Old 05-25-2006, 08:52 AM
JoeDirtPharmD

Agreed
Old 05-25-2006, 12:21 PM
g35pm

Rob, I've got a setrab cooler sitting at my place if you want to borrow it for reference. Don't know off the top how big it is. I'm pretty sure it's the same size Chebosto used for his oil cooler.

Quick Reply: Oil Cooler/PS cooler airflow mod...