Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Our theory on stock rod failure...

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 07:31 AM
chimmike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
there are design flaws in the single turbo ..................... but this is only my personal opinon..
okay.....in your opinion they're flaws.......but there's absolutely no proof of such. So maybe next time you could put "my opinion" and "flaws" in the same sentence.

gracias.
Old 06-03-2006, 07:34 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by G3.5T
I read through 4 pages of this thread so if what I am about to ask was already asked then please disregard.

There is a theory that some of the VQs are just built better then others. I am wondering if there is a year of Z/G that are popping more then others on stock motors with low boost (ie 8.5psi or under)?

And on the flip are there Z/Gs with long FI miles common in certain years?

Good point. I was thinking of asking the same thing earlier before things got sidetracked.
Old 06-03-2006, 07:51 AM
BrianLG35C

I have an 03' delivered in Nov. 02', it popped @9psi.
Old 06-03-2006, 08:52 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianLG35C
maybe a new blown engine sticky but this time with build date?

but then again.. we can't even look at that because alot of the first set of blown engines were due to improper tune and lack of knowledge..

i am not talking about yours.. because i am aware your tune is the same exact as Brian (BriGuyMax) ..
Old 06-03-2006, 09:21 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by BrianLG35C
My car is an 03 with a build date of august 02. Engine is still holding up well after 7500 miles at 8-9.5psi. Turbo was installed early May 2005.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:17 PM
Oleg

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
Oleg: Stop being such a *****...Whats life without some risk involved
If I wasn't such a "*****" I would still be living in my parents' basement, with a 700whp Z (by now on its fourth motor, BTW) parked outside. I am proud to say that not once in my life I have made a wrong decision about my money, maybe except for the one in 2002 when I decided that I "have to have" this car, mostly b/c I liked how it looked and the power that was advertised.

The risk must be worth the prize. Truth be known, I have been considering dumping this project for quite a while by now. This new development, however, is the last straw. I officially curse the day I bought a car in its first year of production with absolutely zero knowledge of its weaknesses, yet intent on modifying it. Now that I know these weaknesses and the cost that they involve to rectify, I have until November to decide whether it is worth to work around them, or just start with a clean sheet on a different vehicle (no clue which one, maybe a GTO, a C6, a Mustang GT, who knows, as long as its not a stick shift, which I hate). By November I will start taking the "performance parts" off the Z and return the car back to stock, so I can trade it in for a new DD around Christmas (when my lease on my MDX is up).
If you have any convincing information that my Z's stock motor and 5AT with a VB will last me problem free for 12-18 month assuming that I stay at 375-380 whp and not abuse the living crap out of it, then please share it. At this point I need reassurance more then ever.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:19 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

if you were looking to mod a Z and not expect to spend big money.. you should have never bought an AT to begin with
Old 06-03-2006, 12:24 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oleg, based on your comments, I truly feel that you will only feel safe with a factory OEM sports car, without any additional massive power adders. That is pretty much your only chance of keeping your sanity. Perhaps a C6, Z06, or something along those lines, would better suit you. You could always add the bolt on NA mods and feel pretty safe too. All with a nice long OEM warranty too.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:41 PM
Oleg

Originally Posted by doug
if you were looking to mod a Z and not expect to spend big money.. you should have never bought an AT to begin with
I had no idea that that tranny was this weak. But then again, I never would have guessed that the Nissan engineers used popsicle sticks in place of the piston rods either... Which brings me right back to not buying a car in its first production year.
And I have no problems spending "big money". I don't want to throw it around carelessly.

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Oleg, based on your comments, I truly feel that you will only feel safe with a factory OEM sports car, without any additional massive power adders. That is pretty much your only chance of keeping your sanity. Perhaps a C6, Z06, or something along those lines, would better suit you. You could always add the bolt on NA mods and feel pretty safe too. All with a nice long OEM warranty too.
I think that you are reading my mind

Last edited by Oleg; 06-03-2006 at 12:47 PM.
Old 06-03-2006, 02:24 PM
Nismo350ZRT

Originally Posted by Oleg
I had no idea that that tranny was this weak. But then again, I never would have guessed that the Nissan engineers used popsicle sticks in place of the piston rods either... Which brings me right back to not buying a car in its first production year.
And I have no problems spending "big money". I don't want to throw it around carelessly.

I think that you are reading my mind
Why don't you name some $30k NA cars that have beefy factory rods capable of a 50-80% increase in power with 100% reliability? If you didn't know adding FI to a non-FI factory car was pretty risky, you did throw your money around carelessly. Sounds like you didn't do any DD.
Old 06-03-2006, 02:39 PM
Oleg

Originally Posted by Nismo350ZRT
Why don't you name some $30k NA cars that have beefy factory rods capable of a 50-80% increase in power with 100% reliability? If you didn't know adding FI to a non-FI factory car was pretty risky, you did throw your money around carelessly. Sounds like you didn't do any DD.
I won't argue. I had a brief "oooh... It's pretty! I want one!" episode. So here I am.
Old 06-03-2006, 02:50 PM
Wholey Smokes

....Anyway, this is my last post in this discussion...
I thought you weren't going to post in here anymore. This thread is great aside from all your bull$hit.

We've all read your posts. I think you've made your point of view known.
Old 06-03-2006, 03:59 PM
35X

I'm a noob on this forum but a veteran on g35driver. Lot's of good info here. Thanks MRC for starting it.
Old 06-03-2006, 04:20 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

If I wasn't such a "*****" I would still be living in my parents' basement, with a 700whp Z (by now on its fourth motor, BTW) parked outside.
Didnt anyone tell you? We sent you the memo,Thats what we all do on this board..

I am proud to say that not once in my life I have made a wrong decision about my money, maybe except for the one in 2002 when I decided that I "have to have" this car, mostly b/c I liked how it looked and the power that was advertised.
In stock form the car delivers all the power it advertized for the sticker price, half that of a new Vette or Porsche boxter..

The risk must be worth the prize. Truth be known, I have been considering dumping this project for quite a while by now.
Trust me, a few of us now this all to well
This new development, however, is the last straw.
Or your excuse to be financially responsible to yourself..Every penny you spend on a car, any car, is a complete wase of money..Thats why most here that do mod their Z's have daily drivers and use the Z strictly as a toy and spend disposable income they can just as fast spend on hookers and cocaine. ..
I officially curse the day I bought a car in its first year of production with absolutely zero knowledge of its weaknesses, yet intent on modifying it.
Like Sharif said, there is not a production car on the market in the price range that will respond well to increasing the horsepower by 80-100%..

Now that I know these weaknesses and the cost that they involve to rectify, I have until November to decide whether it is worth to work around them, or just start with a clean sheet on a different vehicle (no clue which one, maybe a GTO, a C6, a Mustang GT, who knows, as long as its not a stick shift, which I hate).
FYI all of the aformentioned vehicles have a longer history of blowing up both N/A and F/I..

If you have any convincing information that my Z's stock motor and 5AT with a VB will last me problem free for 12-18 month assuming that I stay at 375-380 whp and not abuse the living crap out of it, then please share it. At this point I need reassurance more then ever.
Well for one thing, the failure rate on F/I Z's is much lower than it once was. Granted the margin for error is slim, however a properly tuned and maintained VQ in boosted form should perform well for years...There is a low percentile of failures compared to non failures..Look at the stats,
Greddy,APS and Turbonetics have sold well into about 500-1000 turbo kits combined..How many failures have you read of?

Last edited by Julian@MRC; 06-03-2006 at 04:23 PM.
Old 06-03-2006, 04:31 PM
wtf no turbo

Having paged through all this um well.... anyway I started to nose around in case my car was a total. I quickly learned that alot of other cars out there that people mod fair alot worse then the Z. From weak drivetrains to headgaskets they have morwe then there fair share. I was very surprised at the new mustang. I was considering a gt500 or if none could be found a loaded gt vert. Learned quickly that the 3 valve v6 in the gt has about the same threshold as the Z about 450 on FI. Mostly the same problem in that a weak bottom end lets loose.

All in all Z is a well made car. I can attest to its crash survivabilty. Car did a full flip landed on grass mind you, but frame is perfect. As for my opinion on rod failure........everything breaks.

Oleg you want FI problems run rx7s for 10 years
Old 06-03-2006, 04:50 PM
Eagle1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you cannot afford to break it, financially or emotionally, don't do it.

Nothing wrong with coming to that conclusion after careful reflection.

I have had over 25,000 wonderful FI miles on my car so far, and no problems. Part of that is probably luck. But a lot of it is being careful in the way in which the power has been engineered and applied, the equipment serviced and maintained. "Luck" is what happens when preparation comes into contact with opportunity. Or, if you prefer a different variant, cite to Officer Harry Callahan and translate his reference to going with a confrontation involving the ballistic equivalent of FI, the .44 Magnum revolver....."You have to ask yourself one question. Do I feel lucky?"

When you know your own limitations, as the movie amply demonstrated, you come up with the right answer. When you don't, you lose. Spectacularly.
Old 06-03-2006, 05:01 PM
tonester1011
CF God

WOW this is kinda turning into a useless discussion...gettin really off topic real fast...ive kinda lost interest even though one of the cars originally being spoken about is MY car with the broken rod and 3 holes i the sides of the block...hopefully it will get back to the subject.
Old 06-04-2006, 12:27 PM
theking

Well you obviously can't. This isn't about making wise financial decisions. It's called the car hobby unless you own a shop then it called the car business. I'm selling a Built G35 that is on it's second built motor and even with all the money I have into it I'm only getting about 10k over what it's worth. That's about 25% of the money I have in mods. It was fun and I enjoyed it while it lasted. One thing it did do is keep me away from strippers and blow. Live and learn and hopefully have some cool stories about it in the end. Micromanaging makes life long and drawn out. It also keeps you from laughing and smiling. I go in the Army in two days and am taking a $60k plus pay cut. I want to fly and travel the world and it's worth that much money to me. Same exact thing applies to cars if you are a true car guy. Money comes and goes. As long as you can afford it don't let anyone tell you it's a bad financial choice. My car was always my little vacation. Good luck in whatever you try.
Anyway, this is my last post in this discussion. Lets see if you can stay quiet.

Last edited by theking; 06-04-2006 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-04-2006, 12:43 PM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Originally Posted by theking
Well you obviously can't. This isn't about making wise financial decisions. It's called the car hobby unless you own a shop then it called the car business. I'm selling a Built G35 that is on it's second built motor and even with all the money I have into it I'm only getting about 10k over what it's worth. That's about 25% of the money I have in mods. It was fun and I enjoyed it while it lasted. One thing it did do is keep me away from strippers and blow. Live and learn and hopefully have some cool stories about it in the end. Micromanaging makes life long and drawn out. It also keeps you from laughing and smiling. I go in the Army in two days and am taking a $60k plus pay cut. I want to fly and travel the world and it's worth that much money to me. Same exact thing applies to cars if you are a true car guy. Money comes and goes. As long as you can afford it don't let anyone tell you it's a bad financial choice. My car was always my little vacation. Good luck in whatever you try.
well said
Old 06-04-2006, 01:25 PM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I am very dissapointed in where this thread has gone. It went from an indepth idea sharing session on mechanical failure to a bunch of whining over the cost of parts.. How sad..

Quick Reply: Our theory on stock rod failure...