Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

TN Installed - I could fry an egg on my hood

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 02:50 PM
lex350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by taurran
If you're worried about damaging the paint on your hood, don't worry it won't happen.

+1 on the vented hood. With my hood and heat wrap/coating I'd guess my engine bay is just as cool (if not moreso) than stock.
Now can someone tell me what hood taurran has on his car?
Old 06-01-2006, 03:12 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by lex350
Now can someone tell me what hood taurran has on his car?
Are you stalking me?

Seriously, imagine how old it is getting constantly messaged by people that want to copy every aspect of your car can be... If you only knew how many PM's I get from people with no originality whatsoever asking for a complete parts list.

If you did a little searching, you'd find one of the 50 or so posts I've already told everyone in. Its a veilside hood, but I would never recommend buying it as the quality is total garbage. Seibon is the way to go.
Old 06-01-2006, 03:28 PM
lex350

Are you stalking me?

Seriously, imagine how old it is getting constantly messaged by people that want to copy every aspect of your car can be... If you only knew how many PM's I get from people with no originality whatsoever asking for a complete parts list.

If you did a little searching, you'd find one of the 50 or so posts I've already told everyone in. Its a veilside hood, but I would never recommend buying it as the quality is total garbage. Seibon is the way to go.

Last edited by lex350; 06-01-2006 at 03:30 PM.
Old 06-01-2006, 04:07 PM
chimmike

Are you stalking me?

Craig is still mad that I drive a red Z and have the same turbo kit as him and I live within 100 miles
Old 06-01-2006, 04:25 PM
taurran

I'll just say that to even get the hood on the car we had to trim back and reglass some of the support structure, remove and replace certain bolts under the hood, and shim some of the hinge bolts. We've also had to do other modifications, such as modifying the latch and front bumper mounts and redrilling the gasket mounting holes to get it to sit straight. All that, and numerous hours spent trying to get it to fit make me wish I had gone another route. Granted, it looks pretty good, but I don't think it was worth the time or expense.

Last edited by taurran; 06-01-2006 at 04:28 PM.
Old 06-01-2006, 04:43 PM
Weqster

If you're worried about damaging the paint on your hood, don't worry it won't happen.

+1 on the vented hood. With my hood and heat wrap/coating I'd guess my engine bay is just as cool (if not moreso) than stock.
Why wont it bubble the paint? Paint can only withstand a certain tempreture. My opinion, if u can fry and egg u will get problems sooner or later.
Old 06-01-2006, 05:16 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by down_shift
What's that heat shield looking thing? I didn't get one in my kit?
Its the heatshield that comes with the kit. If you did not get one give Reggie a call and he can send one out to you..
Old 06-01-2006, 05:17 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by Weqster
Why wont it bubble the paint? Paint can only withstand a certain tempreture. My opinion, if u can fry and egg u will get problems sooner or later.
I'll try again...30k miles with the factory hood and turbo kit. 50k total on the car. NO ISSUES.
Old 06-01-2006, 05:33 PM
Weqster

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
I'll try again...30k miles with the factory hood and turbo kit. 50k total on the car. NO ISSUES.
im not challenging you. just referring to 'universal' theory. If what u state is true, then im guessing the temps are a little over exaggerated. Ive had a hood warp/bubble because of a turbo manifold before, so i am extra careful these days.
Old 06-01-2006, 05:34 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by Weqster
im not challenging you. just referring to 'universal' theory. If what u state is true, then im guessing the temps are a little over exaggerated. Ive had a hood warp/bubble because of a turbo manifold before, so i am extra careful these days.
Bingo.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:42 PM
Peking

Originally Posted by BoOsTedz33TT
Ummm...i hate to sound like a smart ***, but your turbo is like half a inch away from the hood..it makes sence your hood would be hott....now go fry me an egg....and some hash browns
Get those hash browns scattered, covered, and smothered

Originally Posted by down_shift
What's that heat shield looking thing? I didn't get one in my kit?
Did you not do a inventory check before starting?
Old 06-02-2006, 03:20 PM
taurran

According to the photo on page 1, he does have the heat shield installed.
Old 06-02-2006, 05:02 PM
MIAPLAYA

According to the photo on page 1, he does have the heat shield installed.
Its not the OP who is missing one but down_shift....
Old 06-02-2006, 05:17 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Its not the OP who is missing one but down_shift....
oh... right.
Old 06-03-2006, 01:09 AM
VashZ350

Ummm...i hate to sound like a smart ***, but your turbo is like half a inch away from the hood..it makes sence your hood would be hott....now go fry me an egg....and some hash browns
lol yeah chef-cook vash on his way

well everything seems fine...went on the autobahn drove it 4-5 hours with speeds from 80mph-150mph .. temperature was stable and ok! but the hood was damn hot
Old 06-03-2006, 01:16 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by VashZ350
lol yeah chef-cook vash on his way

well everything seems fine...went on the autobahn drove it 4-5 hours with speeds from 80mph-150mph .. temperature was stable and ok! but the hood was damn hot
Good deal. When are you going to hit up Nurburgring?
Old 06-03-2006, 02:56 AM
leeboyNY
Kimchi Eater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In US, people hardly hit top speed on the interstates, b/c cops are hiding all over the places... I lived in US for 15 years, so I know.. And if US owners ever hit the max speed (160mph/260kmh) on the road, most of them hit it for just few seconds.. So, your running condition is way different from all the people who's giving you the advice. I'm in South Korea and people here are obsessed with top speed, so whenever I meet up with club people (G35c, E55 AMG, Porsche, Ferrari, etc), we drive like hell! We hit the top speed and drive like that for longer than 20 min! So, you might want to do something about the heat.... heat wrap or vented hood...
Old 06-03-2006, 12:13 PM
VashZ350

yeah I'll figure it out thanks for the advices guys!
Old 06-03-2006, 12:43 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by leeboyNY
In US, people hardly hit top speed on the interstates, b/c cops are hiding all over the places... I lived in US for 15 years, so I know.. And if US owners ever hit the max speed (160mph/260kmh) on the road, most of them hit it for just few seconds.. So, your running condition is way different from all the people who's giving you the advice. I'm in South Korea and people here are obsessed with top speed, so whenever I meet up with club people (G35c, E55 AMG, Porsche, Ferrari, etc), we drive like hell! We hit the top speed and drive like that for longer than 20 min! So, you might want to do something about the heat.... heat wrap or vented hood...
Says who? TO make a statement like that you must have lived in EVERY single part of the counrty. FYI and you can ask anyone who lives near me my car frequents 140 plus on the road. And for anyone whos interested in actually performance driving their car not just saying "oh look if I give my car 20 minutes I can go 150 the whole time" a lot of us track our cars. If you have never done this then I suppose you wouldn't know that taking your car to Willow Springs in the middle of summer will put more strain on the car then any 20 minute top speed run...
Old 09-20-2008, 05:45 PM
ChrisCJ99

So quick question guys.... I know it's going to get hot under the hood REGARDLESS, but is it really bad or UNHEALTHY for anything if I don't run my TN kit with any kind of heat shield?

Quick Reply: TN Installed - I could fry an egg on my hood