Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Spearco Water Injection System (Universal Kit)

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 05:59 PM
Dubai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sharif, when tuning the car with the WIS do you lean out the AFR (if so to what level?) or you just keep the same boost pressure and AFR in low to mid 11's and spray the water just for safety?

also it would be nice to know the results you experienced from this kit.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:09 PM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Snow Performance kit and it works great and doesnt seem overly complicated at all . You can choose when it comes on and when it goes full spray . I have mine come on at 4 psi and it ramps up preasure as boost rises and goes full spray at 10psi . Both are adjustable . Has the capability to hook up safety measures to open up the BOV if spray stops . I didnt hook it up , but by the instructions it looked pretty simple .
Old 03-30-2007, 09:53 PM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Not that Turbonetics wasn't busy itself releasing the Scion tC auto kit, 02-03 Spec V kit, 04-05 Spec V kit, Mustang kit, H3 kit, GT-K turbos, Torque Master wastegate, Torque Master turbo and intercooler upgrades for Dodge, Chevy, and Ford diesel trucks, and a laundry list of other products.
Rob, you missed my point.........We all know Turbonetics is a busy company; someone always tells us that when the subject of a "stage 2" comes up. What I am saying is that Turbonetics can save alot of face by not saying anything. They have a tendency to announce exciting upcoming products so far in advance that most people on these boards give up waiting for these products to come to market. Example,.....how many people either have sold/ want to sell the ST kit? many of these people are just going with a readily available twin kit that is available now...rather than wait and wait on a "stage 2" upgrade. I, for one, am one of those people who bailed out in favor of a greddy Twin setup; I can think of a few other, too.

All I am saying is that either you or Turbonetics may want to consider some restraint in the "coming soon" department. TN makes great turbos, wastegates, intercoolers, etc; it seems they are very focused on developing performance products for many makes/models of car (which is a great thing.) By choosing that route, they have to put alot of these uprade-type products on the "back burner." Make the annoucements when the product is just about ready to go. They will really reap the benefits of new product hype..... rather than deal with frustrated enthusiasts who just can't wait a year for these "back burner" products to become available.

Finally, I feel a simple/effective water injection system has place in the FI G/Z market....hopefully, it'll be a reality in the near future.

Last edited by QuadCam; 03-31-2007 at 05:37 AM.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:57 PM
AboostedG
Twin Spoolin

^ Well said!
Old 03-31-2007, 07:42 AM
MIAPLAYA

Well all the announcements were made when the thought process from them and myself was that the particular product would be soon coming to market. But as all things it changed. I personally felt that people would prefer to know about a product in development and not after its been selling for 6 months.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:37 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by QuadCam
Example,.....how many people either have sold/ want to sell the ST kit?
Not very many in the grand scheme of things. I'd venture to say that the Turbonetics ST is one of, if not the, best selling turbo kits right now. Those that have sold it had good enough reasons, but 99% of the owners I've talked to knew of their expected power goals and are happy with the results. In the end, it's hard to blame the kit rather than lack of personal research.

However, I do agree with the issue of release dates. Take the gaming industry for example, they've learned about "promised release dates" the hard way.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:44 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by booger
I have the Snow Performance kit and it works great and doesnt seem overly complicated at all . You can choose when it comes on and when it goes full spray . I have mine come on at 4 psi and it ramps up preasure as boost rises and goes full spray at 10psi . Both are adjustable . Has the capability to hook up safety measures to open up the BOV if spray stops . I didnt hook it up , but by the instructions it looked pretty simple .
I hope people didnt intrepet my post as knocking the other kits. If you have one of the other kits, I am sure they are working just fine for you. If you are using meth to actually lean out AF ratios, and run significantly more timing, rather than just as an insurance policy, then some of the safety features used in the more complex kits might be worthwhile.

Personally, we only use meth kits as an insurance policy, and do not lean out AF ratios or run significantly more timing. There are a lot of variables at play when tuning engines to the max, and a clogged nozzle, or an empty meth tank could spell disaster if the meth tune is too aggressive.
Old 03-31-2007, 06:17 PM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper

Actially, if the pump accepts a PWM input, there is GREAT potential in this when used with an ECU with a programmable PWM output, like the Fcon.

If this is possible, you won't even need a controller.

The real question, will Spearco sell us a kit with everythign MINUS the controller, which looks to be the most expensive part anyway.

Mia, is this possible, maybe on a one-off basis (for testing purposes)? Please get back to me.
Old 03-31-2007, 07:36 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by GurgenPB
Actially, if the pump accepts a PWM input, there is GREAT potential in this when used with an ECU with a programmable PWM output, like the Fcon.

If this is possible, you won't even need a controller.

The real question, will Spearco sell us a kit with everythign MINUS the controller, which looks to be the most expensive part anyway.

Mia, is this possible, maybe on a one-off basis (for testing purposes)? Please get back to me.
That's a really good question. I'm not sure if this pump has its own specifc part number which would make it orderable by itself. I'll ask the Spearco Project Manager on Monday about it. As for the pump yes it will accept a PWM input.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:17 PM
Philthy
Boost Junkie

I'm running the snow kit with the safe injection module on my STI - there so many safeties build in and available today that the system will automatically switch to wastegate pressure in the event of a lack of flow, low fluid level and/or a clogged nozzle...

50/50 Meth/Water is a great addition when running pump gas - just make sure that the system your using has a pump that has been design to work with Meth...
Old 03-31-2007, 11:42 PM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper

That's a really good question. I'm not sure if this pump has its own specifc part number which would make it orderable by itself. I'll ask the Spearco Project Manager on Monday about it. As for the pump yes it will accept a PWM input.
I'd appreciate it. Thanks
Old 04-01-2007, 01:24 AM
DMK

How long does a tank for alcohol last?
Old 04-01-2007, 03:30 AM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Will the Z pass a breathalyser test on this system? j/k.

The universal kit looks like the way to go, however, I would like a kit (as gurgenpb said) without the controller, the more I can make the UTEC do the better (no room for more controllers, gauges, etc).
Old 04-01-2007, 11:49 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by DMK
How long does a tank for alcohol last?
That would depend on the tank size, amount you are spraying during activation and your turn on pressure..
Old 04-01-2007, 11:53 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by gringott
Will the Z pass a breathalyser test on this system? j/k.

The universal kit looks like the way to go, however, I would like a kit (as gurgenpb said) without the controller, the more I can make the UTEC do the better (no room for more controllers, gauges, etc).
Well in all fairness to the controller unit it is tiny and can be mounted basically anywhere. Its a set and forget controller too unless you want to turn it on or off. A quick look at the dimensions of the controller:

Its under 2.5" wide, just over .5" tall, and just under 1.5" deep. Thank about those dimensions. It would EASILY fit into your jean pockets even if you hae Wranglers on. Its just slightly larger then a pack of cigarettes. I do understand the desire to not add any controllers and have it run off your EMS and that's why I'll be asking the Spearco Project Manager about getting the kit minus controller only but I don't want people to get the wrong idea about the controller size. In fact Sharif originally planned to incorporate the pump into his EMS but found the controller so much easier to set up and use and so small that he just stuck with the out of box controller instead.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:59 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

In fact Sharif originally planned to incorporate the pump into his EMS but found the controller so much easier to set up and use and so small that he just stuck with the out of box controller instead.
That's correct. It worked so well, and does exactly what we wanted it to, that I didn't feel the need to have an EMS control the spray.

As a side note, the customer reported that he got about 1 week's usage out of the 1qt Greddy washer res that we used. He was running 8psi on high boost, and 6psi on low boost.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:03 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
That's correct. It worked so well, and does exactly what we wanted it to, that I didn't feel the need to have an EMS control the spray.

As a side note, the customer reported that he got about 1 week's usage out of the 1qt Greddy washer res that we used. He was running 8psi on high boost, and 6psi on low boost.
Thanks again for the post Sharif.! If you have time next week I'd like to share what Johnny has in mind for this..
Old 04-01-2007, 01:08 PM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

That is much smaller than I remember. Not like that giant UTEC A/F tuner that is floating around my interior looking for a home. Thanks for the dimensions Miaplaya.
Old 04-01-2007, 01:58 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by gringott
That is much smaller than I remember. Not like that giant UTEC A/F tuner that is floating around my interior looking for a home. Thanks for the dimensions Miaplaya.
No worries. Yeah its significantly smaller then the UTEC Tuner Pro module I saw this weekend.
Old 04-01-2007, 03:17 PM
Ed 718
BRAVEHEART

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sharif do you have any technical data that you can post on the Spearco Water injection kit.

Last edited by Ed 718; 04-02-2007 at 07:22 AM.

Quick Reply: Spearco Water Injection System (Universal Kit)